Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
ivoryjohn

Default fiber vs. aluminum timing gear?

My timing gear was replaced with an aluminum gear. It was not drilled as near as I can see through the pin hole in the timing gear cover. A friend drilled a timing gear pin dimple at what he figures was TDC using an angle drill through the pin hole. I am still having timing problems, don't trust the hole drilled by my friend, and intend to replace the gear with a fresh gear with the dimple in the correct place. I assume that the new gears come pre-drilled in the right location.

What are your thoughts on the kind of timing gear to buy, aluminum vs. fiber vs. laminated? I plan on replacing it while I have the radiator off getting a new neck soldered on.

What other bases should I cover while I have the radiator off?

I picture replacing the gear without problems. Remove the radiator, support the front of the engine, line up the punch marks on the crank gear and the timing gear, remove the timing gear nut with the special wrench, R and R the timing gear and again lining up the gear marks. be sure the cam spring and plunger are in place and replacing the cover. If the marks are matched up the timing dimple should be lined up under the pin hole right?

Go ahead...I can take it! What is going to ruin my plans this time?
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: fiber vs. aluminum timing gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryjohn View Post
My timing gear was replaced with an aluminum gear. It was not drilled as near as I can see through the pin hole in the timing gear cover. A friend drilled a timing gear pin dimple at what he figures was TDC using an angle drill through the pin hole. I am still having timing problems, don't trust the hole drilled by my friend, and intend to replace the gear with a fresh gear with the dimple in the correct place. I assume that the new gears come pre-drilled in the right location.

What are your thoughts on the kind of timing gear to buy, aluminum vs. fiber vs. laminated? I plan on replacing it while I have the radiator off getting a new neck soldered on.

What other bases should I cover while I have the radiator off?

I picture replacing the gear without problems. Remove the radiator, support the front of the engine, line up the punch marks on the crank gear and the timing gear, remove the timing gear nut with the special wrench, R and R the timing gear and again lining up the gear marks. be sure the cam spring and plunger are in place and replacing the cover. If the marks are matched up the timing dimple should be lined up under the pin hole right?

Go ahead...I can take it! What is going to ruin my plans this time?

Where did the alum chips go? I have used a few alum gears, they all had the dimple for the timing pin.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Glenn C.

IMO if you replace the camshaft timing gear, you should also replace the crankshaft gear. One will get you ten, the crankshaft gear will be worn. you might want to contact: Dan McEachern 920 pearl St. Alameda CA. 94501

Dan sells matched gear sets of either Aluminum cam gear, or bronze. Both are excellent. He will also sell you a single aluminum or bronze gear, if you wish.
Great person to do business with......without question. These gears are custom made in his shop, and not all that expensive for what type of quality you receive.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I was wondering the same thing as George. Also be sure to apply assembly lube to the gears and center of the camshaft/plunger.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
ford1

use aluminum if you want longevity and dont mind the extra noise, use a fiber gear for quitness, the fiber gear if usa made will last your life time, and a susgesstion, most drilled timing gear dimples are small and shallow, before you install the gear enlarge and deepen the dimple with a good sharp drill, that will make it must easier to find tdc when it comes time to time the engine
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
ivoryjohn

I too wonder about the small amount of aluminum cuttings. Not being heavy like steel I doubt they would settle to the bottom of the pan and are probably in floating around with the pumped oil. Oh well!

This engine will probably get overhauled in the next year. I've been chasing bugs since I got it home and can't seem to get it right. Thanks all for weighing in!
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Patrick L.

Have you tried removing #1 sparkler and finding TDC from the inside ? Then look around thru the pin hole for the dimple? Once TDC is found from piston location[should be able to find it within a couple degrees by splitting the difference in the crank movement] you can compare ignition timing setting between what you have now and where it possibly should be..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote