Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Darrell Kinnan

Default Intake Manifold

I'm running with a 37 block, 36 heads and an aluminum intake manifold. I noticed that 3 small cracks have developed around the bolt hole where the generator is mounted. Someone must have tightened the generator bolt too tight. I would think it would be a disaster if the generator would let loose or shouldn't I worry about it? Please advise: Can I have the manifold welded or should I look for a replacement? Does anyone know where I can find one and does it matter if it is cast iron rather than aluminum? Also, what years fit a 37 block? Thanks in advance, I couldn't continue in this hobby without you folks....DK
Darrell Kinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: Intake Manifold

any manifold up to 48 fits. they are very cheap. I paid $23 + $28 postage for a later model cast iron for my 37 motor. I replaced mine to install an alternator.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

If you change to a CI one you will have to change the FP push rod to 1 thats 8 7/8 long.. I would have the alum. one welded. ken ct omo.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
G.M.

If you live where it gets up near 90 degrees get a CI one. The aluminum gets hotter and is closer to the fuel pump causing the fuel pump to get very hot and boil the new gas. G.M.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Darrell Kinnan

GM, thanks for your info on the intake manifold. Wouldn't the cast iron hold up better having the generator and fan on top of it ? Is the CI the very same shape as the Alum. Thanks for your help. I've found some sources but having trouble communicating, it's my first time on this...DK
Darrell Kinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
ford38v8

Darrell, the cast iron manifold is the better choice for reasons of heat as stated, and for durability. Look for one with the same height generator mount and you're good to go. To weld your original would cost as much as replacement.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Ed Pitts

Darrell, here is a comparison between the cast iron and the aluminum intakes. The cast iron intake in the pic is a 46-48 intake and is the same heigth in front as the 39 that was on the engine I am working on. The aluminum intake was on a 37 block that was in my 36. As Ken mentioned, the cast iron intake requires a longer fuel pump push rod and also a longer oil pan vent tube (tube under the intake at rear where the fuel pump bolts on). Joblot has this one: part # 48-6756-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3413.JPG (101.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3414.JPG (128.0 KB, 33 views)
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
oldskool

i seen a generator let go on a 41 convert it did a lot of damage ,distroyed radiator,fan,a real mess,do whatever it takes to get it right...
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pitts View Post
Darrell, here is a comparison between the cast iron and the aluminum intakes. The cast iron intake in the pic is a 46-48 intake and is the same heigth in front as the 39 that was on the engine I am working on. The aluminum intake was on a 37 block that was in my 36. As Ken mentioned, the cast iron intake requires a longer fuel pump push rod and also a longer oil pan vent tube (tube under the intake at rear where the fuel pump bolts on). Joblot has this one: part # 48-6756-A
Ed, I believe Darrell's application is for a '36 with a generator mounted fan. He cannot use the '39 DeLuxe and later manifold.