Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Bruce/CT

Default Removing body sound deadener

Hi Barners,

My Cowl and Rear quarters are covered with a think black goop which must have been sound deadener ( Body Shutz??) It is intact. Should I leave it alone or remove it?

If I decide to remove it here is my plan. I will gently heat it with a heat gun and scrape it off.

Anyone have any easier ideas?
Bruce/CT
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
joel

Default Re: Removing body sound deadener

That's what I did. I found the heat gun on low range did a good job and nothing got too hot. I used a putty knife to start and then went bsck with a razor blade scraper to clean up. I then wiped the panels with laquer thinner and yhey were as Henry made them. I had some places on the cowl that were almost 1/2" thick and I used the gun on high there. I think I spent about 6 or 7 hours to do my '40.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

I did the complete whole inside and underside of the floor on my 51 Vicky with a heat gun and putty knife, after removal with the putty knife I cleaned the residue with mineral spirits and chore girl ? scouring pads that look like extra corse steel wool ( from the dollar store) & mineral spirits and rags. it is a messy project but floors came out like new metal.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Bruce/CT

Default Stuff is intact>>>should i remove it??

Thanks for the replies.
The deadener is solidly bonded to metal. Should I remove in areas that I'm NOT doing body work? Obviously, if I'm welding on the panel I need the stuff off.
Bruce/CT
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
felix37

If you are not doing any body work or welding, I would leave it in those areas, providing there is no rust.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
19Fordy

Bruce, this covers covers the topic pretty well. Don't set you car on fire like one guy did.
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...iw=896&bih=526
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
I did the complete whole inside and underside of the floor on my 51 Vicky with a heat gun and putty knife, after removal with the putty knife I cleaned the residue with mineral spirits and chore girl ? scouring pads that look like extra corse steel wool ( from the dollar store) & mineral spirits and rags. it is a messy project but floors came out like new metal.
The sound deadener served two purposes, one to deaden sound and the other to protect the metal from rust. Now, enjoy putting something similar back on there to do what it was intended to do before you took it off. LOL
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
47Merc

I stripped the underside of my merc coupe in about 4 hours using a few very sharp wood chisels and NO heat.
I tried the heat at first but that only made the body deadener sticky and harder to remove. Once you get get under the edge with a sharp chisel it just peels off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010234.JPG (156.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P1010233.JPG (160.8 KB, 45 views)
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
flatmotor40

I use a torch with the Eastwood lead tip and just use acetylene only no oxy low heat flame and a scraper than wipe down with degreaser
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Bruce/CT

Thanks all,

I think, in the interest of time and reducing effort that I will leave it on areas that have no rust, the stuff is intact and I plan no body work. Body areas needing work, especially drivers side cowl I will strip. I have some frame welding ( another story for another day) below the outer side of the passenger rear seat. Once I separate the body and frame I may not need to remove deadener there. We'll see.
Bruce/CT
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
The sound deadener served two purposes, one to deaden sound and the other to protect the metal from rust. Now, enjoy putting something similar back on there to do what it was intended to do before you took it off. LOL
I did ,after getting it clean, I repaired,primered & painted first then, undercoated underneth & sound deadned all the interior, using a special spray gun made for the sound deadner, then painted it all again, the body was off the frame so it was easier to get to..... I might have pictures if anyone is interested....jdl
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
jdl

Before..

After..

Underside showing some before & some after

Interior after painting but before sound deadner

Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Bruce/CT

Default lOOKS REAL NICE

JDL,
That looks rewal nice and neat. Lots of tim was spent there.
Bruce/CT
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
joel

I found that there were some spots where there was rust under the tar, so I deciced to remove it all. I feel the current products to seal seams and pinch welds are superior to the tar, and better sound deadener materials are also available. JMHO
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
johnny

Guys ;you heat the metal on the back [other] side from the underseal ,it only takes a little heat to soften the bond next to the metal and it will peel off in strips one can then roll it into a ball with bare hand .there no fires or burned hands ,a small propane torch works well .for a large area like the floor two people would be better one to heat and one to scrape.Johnny an old body man.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote