Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Roger/Sacramento

Default Electric fuel pump

I am using a stock type mechanical pump without a regulator (works fine without one). I am agravated with the gas evaporating from my carbs. Don't like putting the starter to a lot of use to bring up the fuel if the vehicle sets for a few days, or having to squirt gas into the carbs to jump start the motor. I would like to add an electric booster pump to fill the carbs prior to starting. My question is if there is a problem with pushing the gas through the mechanical pump and will the mechanical pump draw gas through the electric pump when it is shut off after filling the carbs. Also there are different types of pumps....solenoid, vane, rollervane.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
trevo

Default Re: Electric fuel pump

I have been using an electric booster pump separately switched so that when I switch the toggle [under the dash]on it ticks away till I hear the ticking slow down then start my car and turn the electric switch off to then run normally on the stock mechanical pump works well no issues a simple pump like a MACs EFP-9350-12 comes with fittings and a filter if your car is stock like mine dont get tied up with technicalities simple is best mine is mounted on the chassis next to the steering box electric pumps tend to push better than pull butunless you are racing im sure it will save your starter motor and work fine.
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
woodypecker

I considered using a very small pump and filling the bowl directly but did not want to drill a hole in the top of the carb. I like trevo'suggestion
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
russcc

I use a Facet pump, pushes right through the mechanical fuel pump. Facet is made in the USA in Elmira NY by Purolater and is an experimental aircraft pump. They come in 12 & 6 volt, and varying working pressures. Tech service is excellent in helping you select the one for your needs. I used a low pressure unit. They are self regulating, so no need for a pressure regulator. Aircraft & Spruce has them, $35.00.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote