Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Roadster62

Default Your answers == Mindset

We all have different degrees of finish for our Model A's, driver, fun car, MARC National Winner, etc. When you reply to a quection are you dead set in your outlook or do you acknowledge that there are different ways of overhauling your A? I'm new here and just want to get to understand who's who and how they view the hobby. Bob
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
dr.j

Default Re: Your answers == Mindset

I have a 28 Tudor AR with a mix of AR and later parts. I try and replace parts with the earlier type however, I've always said the only person that will look close at the underneath will be the one I drive over. It is a driver.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
30ccpickup

My philosophy at the current time is keep it running, keep it safe and keep it in good driving condition. As I change/modify my Model A, I plan on keeping the original parts. It is my goal to increase my knowledge, skills and budget, and one day restore my A to its original condition, but until that day it will be driven and enjoyed.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Roadster62

Great! This is the info I was looking for. We restored Dad's 1931 Roadster in the early 1970"s and it is a good 25 footer. Need to get it back on the road by July.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

I restored my car when I was 16, never won a prize at the many shows I went to, 10 years after the restoration I went to a national meet, won a blue ribbon, now almost 40 years after the restoration I am getting more compliments on its condition that I ever got----and I look at the cracked and peeling paint thinking ???, I guess it is because it is in the condition of "enjoyment", I will invite children to honk the horn (usually after the parents say --don't touch) ---but when I am not with the car it is locked.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Functionality is #1. Without that you don't have much. Second is making the car how it pleases you. NEVER do a car to please someone else (except maybe your spouse) or you will have regrets. I have no regrets :-)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

My view of the hobbie is more about the challanges than rewards or awards. Although at some point I want to restore a car for fine point right now I am building one to have fun and keep up with the flatheads in the car club on tours and such. Although there will be modifications to accomplish this, most could be undone and have the car ready for judging in a couple of weekends. Might only score 450 or alittle more at that point. When this one is done I will start looking for something for fine point, that can be done without as many missing pieces as I had with the rdstr pu. It was becoming overwhelming since I started with frame, engine, front springs, rear springs, brake handle and cab without doors and very litlle litte else. Lesson learned there. Luckily the parts I was missing for the deluxe delivery have pretty much fell into place at this point and are somewhat easier to find than early 28 commercial parts. I am still missing afew parts, but nothing super hard to find or fabricate. Rod
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
tamagrouchy

My car is also a 25 footer, Looks good in parades and is fun to drive around. I make sure that it is mechanically safe and sound. I might make it look prettier once my kids are grown, but I do enjoy letting kids hop in the drivers seat and have their folks take a picture. I figure that's my way to plant that seed for the next generation of Model A people.
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Jim Parker Toronto

Yes, you do all that work to make them look nice and then you don't want to take out anywhere. After the first couple of dings, or scratches, and you get a bit more tolerant, then you will enjoy it. At the cruise shows, I let the kids get in car, as long as their mom is there. Besides, it's no fun having a car show in your garage, not too many people show up. At our weekly show at the plaza, we have up to 200 cars, and always at least 6 A's, sometimes 15. Its great!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Aerocraft

We all have different ideas which is one of the things that makes the hobby great. I personall like to keep them as original as possible with the exception of the engine and ignition internals. They don't stay parked in the garage nor are they trailered to an event. Sometimes they are dirty but that is because they are driven. I use a '30 Coupe that I bought a long time ago as my daily driver year round except not on wet salt.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Bruce Adams

I feel having a safe, reliable car is first on my list since I use it often. Cast iron brakes drums with new brakes, directionals and seat belts are some of the few changes I hav made to a "fairly original" car. I like "Original" but it is easily outweighed by safety and necessary operational concerns as stated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20090925_8538.jpg (37.7 KB, 14 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Get it going and keep it going replacing parts as I go with original.

I have found that it often does not take much more time and money to obtain and restore original parts.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
fordcragar

There are many ways to build one of these older cars, but whatever way that you decide to go "have fun". I've seen too many cars that the owners became buried in that they have to stand guard over it wherever it is parked. This is not my idea of fun. YMMV
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
eswanson

flexible is the best way to describe the Model A experience. You must be just that, even if you get to fine points you need to know that it is never going to be what came off the line no matter what the standards say (it might be better). So be flexible and know your own expectations then shoot for those. I for one have a good mechanically sound (though Ron is about to help show me how to make my carb better) truck. The body on the other hand is shot (literally). So anywho just enjoy it for what you want it to be and the others on here will help support you in keeping another one on the road.

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
peters180a/170b

Roadster62 // You have seen some of the "A"s i have had. And the work Charlie H. does too. I try my best to get orginial parts because to me its like saving the past [art]. Its like taking the Statue of Liberty [do you use copper to restore the orginial finish or use stainless steel to hold up better ]? If you can use stainless and treat it someway to look like copper i am for that too.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
Roadster62

Peter, This looks like a real fun site, glad there is a mix of interest and degree of finish. I've always thought your brown Roadster was one of the finest restorations a Model A could have..............not that there is anything wrong with the 180. Actually opened the door and looked at Dad's '31 a half hour ago. Got to get it in the road again.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
peters180a/170b

Bob , the finest Model "A" Restoration is Marco Tahtaras ,blue 1930 Deluxe Roadster pictured above with the smiling kid behind the wheel. That restoration would make a Duzzie owner cry. Marco scored 498 out of 500 [1 point lost on jack ,left it home and 1 point ,horn did not sound good] .If he had the jack and horn sounded better then 500 points out of 500 and in a Model "A" National thats unheard of. Its been said many times [The Model "A" Ford gets judge the hardest at any meet].Good luck on you fathers roadster and if you need any parts i might have give he a call.]
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Roadster62

That is one FINE automobile! You folks do know you can click on a photo and move it around, another nice feature. Blackwalls, all the great cars have blackwalls.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Mountain Dew

Ole Willie was built long before I was born and I'm sure that he will be around long after I am gone. I feel that is is my duty to take care of him and enjoy his company during my time on earth. I draw the line with welding and drilling holes. Everything else can be brought back to specs. He could use a little body work, but I have fun driving him just like he is. If I were to put money into a restoration, I would go for the points and still drive it daily.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
Hitchhiker

For me it really depends on the condition of the car in question. Some cars deserve to be restored to judging quality. Some are "to nice" to restore, the survivers. Some are barely better than parts. and then there are a whole slew of cars in-between.I have a ruff and not original car that I want to recreate all the original finishes on to give the illusion of an original car hot rodded in say 1939. I also want an all original car not restored. I never get the same feeling from a modified or restored car as I do from a original car. something about them just has soul. Not that the other cars don't. but they are only original once right?
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Hitchhiker

Is this the 498 out of 500 car? I think this is my favorite model A of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
That is one FINE automobile! You folks do know you can click on a photo and move it around, another nice feature. Blackwalls, all the great cars have blackwalls.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
Roadster62

Yes 498 as Peter mentioned. I'd like to know for sure if this is Lombard blue.