Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #41
Bob C

Default Re: Title Trouble ??

Is that the car behind the Roadster?

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0477.jpg (77.7 KB, 50 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #42
marty in Ohio

Yes, Bob. That certainly is the car in question !!!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #43
jm29henry

Marty I just read the comments to the Bbb. Sorry that there are such unethical people out there .I pray it all works out for your friend and he gets his money back . Karma is a real BI and they will get there's !!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #44
marty in Ohio

Well, guys,
Here is another chapter, and hopefully the last chapter, in this saga. Baltria was supposed to send a transport to pick up this car. Now they have called the buyer to say that the title problem has been worked out and the title is on it's way. The buyer told them that our A Team advised that the car is a '30. Baltria said the title is still for a '29. I'm walking away from this one guys !!
Marty
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #45
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
I've heard quite a lot about Baltria.
jm29henry, I'm not sure if the car you saw on the computer is the one or not. The only Model A I saw online was a 1930 Deluxe Roadster. The car in question is a light brown and dark brown tudor which was sold as a '29. The car, I think, is a '30. It has a '30 radiator shield, but a '31 instrument panel and '31 one piece splash shields. It has 21 inch wheels. It looks to be a collection of parts. It has no wiper motor and the interior mirror is wrong. The car has no rain gutters. The engine was supposed to have been rebuilt, but it looked pretty gunky to me. Before we found out about the title problem we reset the points and timed it before it would even start. The shipper said they drove it on to the trailer, but that was doubtful.
Marty
I wouldn't rely on the radiator, shell or apron to identify the difference between 28/9 and 30/1. Those could be kinda easily swapped and rigged together like a facelift. Anyone can cobble together some parts. The gastank and cowl should definitively tell you if you have a 28/9 or 30/1 body. I can't speak on a rare occurrence of a 29 being sold originally as a 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170616_134325.jpg (46.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170616_134331.jpg (53.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by grovesmr; 06-16-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Pics for clarification
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mr Marty & Mr. grovesmr,

Per Reply #44 & #45, one can imagine that not all DMV officials and inspectors have the knowledge to be able to detect a fake title and/or a Model A beautifully restored with 1929 and 1930 and "who-knows-what" types of sheet metal and parts.

About 12 years ago I went to look at a very inexpensive 1930 Town Sedan that could have won first prize in body work among today's uninformed hot-rod youngsters.

The cutting, welding, and paint job was beautiful; however, welds exposed under fenders, hood, etc. revealed that this was a mystery car.

Also, the several different title officer inspectors who came to inspect my 1930 coupe were totally uninformed ..... with these young gentleman, a 1927 Nash could have been easily 100% approved for a 1930 Coupe.

Under this Post with the title of "Title Trouble" let us hope that prior to future Model A purchases, future Model A buyers at the very least, consider Forum Members "always" kindly advising newbies to visit a Model A in person with an "experienced", Model A knowledgeable person.

Something tells me per reply #44's last chapter, an Appendix may be added to explain the final, final results ..... let us wish for only the best.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-16-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #47
marty in Ohio

Well, guys, here is the last installment on the Title Trouble thread. The buyer received the 1929 Illinois title in the mail. He bought a data plate from Snyder's and took it to a jewelry store at the mall and they engraved the serial number from the title on it. He then drove the car to the title bureau and they sent "a girl" out to the parking lot. She looked at the title, looked at the data plate, and an Ohio title was issued on the spot. He got a temporary tag and applied for an historical plate.
Easy as that!!
Thanks for all the input on this issue.
Marty
Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #48
1931 flamingo

Did the Illinois title match the engine number?? If not and your "new" data plate is a different number Good Luck when HE goes to sell it. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote