Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Front Engine Seal

Had to pull my timing covers and oil pan to replace leaking gaskets. Noticed there was a rubberized donut on the pulley shaft. It shows some wear but generally is in decent shape. There was some oil leakage from this area. I am not pulling or rebuilding the engine as it runs very nice.

Should I re-use this seal? Should I put some form a gasket on it to help it seal better or should I remove it and install rope. I don't know how to replace the rubber seal. All comments really appreciated.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Charles Coe

Default Re: Front Engine Seal

I would remove it and use the rope seals.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Had to pull my timing covers and oil pan to replace leaking gaskets. Noticed there was a rubberized donut on the pulley shaft. It shows some wear but generally is in decent shape. There was some oil leakage from this area. I am not pulling or rebuilding the engine as it runs very nice.

Should I re-use this seal? Should I put some form a gasket on it to help it seal better or should I remove it and install rope. I don't know how to replace the rubber seal. All comments really appreciated.
Hey Colonel,
If you are talking of the front crank seal, you can buy same new, from Snyders and possibly others. It is a ONE piece seal made of neoprene (I think) . Anyway , in order to put that one in place, you need to remove front crank pulley. Now the bummer info...you need to have the crank loose, so that the seal can go into its place.
I bolted mine down, then realized that I'd forgotten to put that seal on first, then couldn't find lost seal anyway...what the heck , no hobby for old men , eh !
Now good news is that WE can still install 'dog turd' (rope?) seal !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I've never had to replace a front rope seal due to leaks.
I've read about people trying to fix a non problem with a modern seal and creating a problem.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
western77

Rope seal all the way! The pan and the timing cover are not machined to accept a modern seal therefore it's hard to get a good seal. JB
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
MrBruce

Use the rope seal and soak it in oil before you install it. Very few if any leaks from the front seal.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have read here that the rubber thing will work IF the crank area where the doughnut rides is polished like a mirror and there is no play in the bearings.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
fiddlybits

I have had excellent results with..... either seal.
Rope - presoak is not an option. If you have never done one, get someone who has to show you how. Not hard but easy to make choices that will prove to be wrong. (like "trimming")
Modern - I have never done an A but I have replace dozens of rope seals on other vintage cars with no leaks
The surface of the shaft has to be smooth but not mirror smooth. Mirror smooth will leak. The seal has to "seat". It will polish the seal point.
The seal will probably not mate perfectly in the block & pan. If it is a snug fit, permatex form-a-gasket #2 is all that it needs. This is the one place that I usually end up using some RTV to seal the seal to the block/pan.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote