Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
Pat Martone

Default How do I fix a new steering wheel that squeaks?

I have installed a new steering wheel, and was careful not to overtighten the column nut, but I find the steering wheel binds a bit and also squeaks a bit, when I turn the wheel. I know that the binding and squeaking is not related to the horn rod, but instead the bottom of the steering wheel is somehow rubbing against something, perhaps the large steering column bushing that has the holes for the steering and control rods. I do not want to go through the process of lowering the steering column again, but was wondering instead if I could try to lubricate the area with some spray-on lithium grease, through the open "slots" where the spark and accelerator rod project through the steering column? I welcome your suggestions; thanks.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Mikeinnj

Default Re: How do I fix a new steering wheel that squeaks?

" I do not want to go through the process of lowering the steering column again".....

Why did you lower the column to install a new wheel ? Did you rebuild the steering?
Remove the wheel and see if there are marks where it is rubbing.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Pat Martone

I have a sedan. To remove the steering wheel, I must remove the horn rod which won't come out unless I unbolt the steering box to lower the column enough (after releasing by steering column clamp under the dash rail) to allow the long horn rod to clear the headliner.
I prefer not to go through that again, but I may not have a choice.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
QGolden

When I adjusted the "play" in my steering box the first time, I got it just a bit too tight, and it squeaked and bound a bit when I turned the wheel. It telephoned up the column and could have been interpreted as a steering wheel squeak, but since the steering box was the only thing I took apart I knew better. Which begs the question, is it coming from the steering box, since you did unbolt it and move it.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown

Last edited by QGolden; 07-25-2013 at 01:10 PM.
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Pat Martone

QGolden,
Hmmm; good info.
I did not touch the steering box to replace my steering wheel other than unbolt ing it from the frame to allow me to drop the column about 2 inches from the dash rail area support bracket. I am certain the squeak is coming from the wheel, but I appreciate your information.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

I would think that you'd be able to pull the horn rod up 6-12", pull the wheel and ck for a wear spot?? Nothing to lose by spraying something up in there either. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Pat Martone

Thanks for the helpful replies.
I unbolted my steering box from the frame and dropped the column enough to remove the horn rod and steering wheel. What I discovered was the steering wheel area that is recessed in the back was scraping against the housing where the control rods drag against knurls in that housing. The top of that housing "ground down" and made a depressed circular slot into the back of my steering wheel. The slot radius on the back of the steering wheel is about 2.5 inches in diameter and about 1/16 inch deep and about 1/16 inch wide. I took my dremel tool and widened and deepened the circular slot a bit more, put some wheel bearing grease into the slot on the back of the steering wheel and put the wheel back on and now there is no more binding or squeaks. After looking at my old broken steering wheel, I noticed it has the same circular slot carved into it too, I assume by the housing.
Is this typical; I don't understand how the steering wheel supposed to bottom-out, that is how is it supposed to be tightened without dragging on something?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Drive Shaft Dave

I had a similar problem with my steering column and under side of the steering wheel, it was rubbing on the under side of the steering wheel, what I did was on the bottom of the steering column, I shaved about a .060 of the bottom of the tube thus giving the added clearance under the steering wheel.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Martone View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies.
I unbolted my steering box from the frame and dropped the column enough to remove the horn rod and steering wheel. What I discovered was the steering wheel area that is recessed in the back was scraping against the housing where the control rods drag against knurls in that housing. The top of that housing "ground down" and made a depressed circular slot into the back of my steering wheel. The slot radius on the back of the steering wheel is about 2.5 inches in diameter and about 1/16 inch deep and about 1/16 inch wide. I took my dremel tool and widened and deepened the circular slot a bit more, put some wheel bearing grease into the slot on the back of the steering wheel and put the wheel back on and now there is no more binding or squeaks. After looking at my old broken steering wheel, I noticed it has the same circular slot carved into it too, I assume by the housing.
Is this typical; I don't understand how the steering wheel supposed to bottom-out, that is how is it supposed to be tightened without dragging on something?
Perhaps your steering shaft has been replaced at some time by one that is too short. They are different lengths depending on years and 7 tooth vs 2 tooth.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote