Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Cody_1948

Default Stories from the good ol days ?? Anyone

Guys, hope yall had a grand weekend, I sepnt the weekend working and did some truck stuff. Also got to hangout with a few older car guys. They both grew up in the late 40s and man to they have car stories to share(more like vintage crime stories), The first one they both where best friends growing up, I met them many years ago, At a car show, They have many old Fords. The first story they told me tonite was, They where in high school, As they where driving home from school, On the side of the road for sale was a 1930's Ford pickup, They stoped and made a deal to buy, (they got it dirt cheap as they said lol) The one drove the car home as the other drove there new truck, As Frank drove the truck, He found out the trans was pretty shot, They got home and Frank told Tom, That the trans was shot, he said we can fix that, round up the guys, So he said they got 5 or six of there friends around and tools, as Tom and one of the five guys went to a used car lot, Found a truck for sale. Talked the dealer into letting them drive it, They drove it back to there house pulled the new trans and put the junk trans in the used truck. drove it back to the dealer lot and parked it and made up a story way they didnt want it.(now I dont know if I find this funny or sad) But they both told me a lot of stuff like this happend back in the day.
Then theres the story of both of them driving from Michigan to Tenn, in a 1940's two door chevy, They stoped to get gas (around 9pm) The service boy told them they where low on oil they said well I dont have money for oil and drove off, the next little town was just down the road(since they drove to Tenn every 6 weeks or so to see family, Anyways as they pull into to the city once again they stop at a used car lot. the back part of the lot didnt have any lighting, They found a car with a fresh oil change sticker, As they drain the oil in there car on the ground, The other drains the oil from the car in the lot into a pan, Then they pour the oil into there car and drive off on the rest of there trip,
Anything they have done I dont think I'd ever have the guts to do any of it. do any of you guys have car stories you would like to share, stuff you didnt or stuff you got away with, Tricks you pulled, anyone every do the whole car lot thing ?
Cody

Last edited by Cody_1948; 01-19-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Cody_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Lanny

Default Re: Stories from the good ol days ?? Anyone

Did these two guys hang out at YOUR Place this last weekend ???

If the answer is yes, then you better check your Tool Chest, and
your Stash of Parts, CAUSE ALL YOUR STUFF IS GONE !

Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
Cody_1948

Lol no sir, I just met them for coffee, in fact they have never been to my shop, I've been to there barn.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
40 Deluxe

Cody, those are not car stories, they're crime stories! There is a difference.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #5
Graeme / New Zealand

These guys are "hoods".

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
Johnnydidd

I think we all have done things we are ashamed of, But would not do anything close that today. A lot of people tell stories they have heard, I hope that's the case.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Cody_1948

I do not condone anything they have done, They both tell back in the day, Stuff like that happend alot, They say we where young and didn't have money, So we had to do what we had to do so we could get by.

Like I say I do not agree with anything they did, But it's not the first time I've heard stories like this at swap meet and car shows.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
5851a

Grandfather had a 48 Ford, was driving home in a blizzard one night and had to stop and wait for the train only a block from home. The train went by and he took off only to drive into a flatbed. The train was a slow one and he wasn't hurt. Grandma told the story when he wasn't around, and no one ever asked about the old Ford. Or why he was driving Grandma's old Pontiac.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
32phil

Summer of 68, I had a 64 Galaxie 500 2dr. hardtop. Decent car, I bought it pretty cheap cause it needed some body work & tires tune up etc. Got it all fixed up , lookin' pretty good but it had a miss when I bought and I could not figure out why. My Mom told me to take it to the Sunoco station near our summer home in Washingtonville , NY. and she would pay to have it fixed. I take it over and the mechanic listens to it and takes off one spark plug wire, no change, takes of the one next to it, still running with no change. Then he puts them back, in turn, swapping locations. The engine picks up and runs 100X better. He tells me go take it for a ride. I did .....and haven't been back since....always regretted not going back and at least thanking him. Never did that again.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
Terranova

Dad and his buddies used to race the local cop. If you beat him, he didn't give you a ticket.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

So, whatever happened or will happen with all the '48 - '52 pu Honey Hole parts? That might make a good story. I mentioned that post to a friend who is into these old Ford trucks. He tried to contact you on this but never heard back.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
19Fordy

Gee, I wonder if "CARMA" ever came around to those guys who stole the transmission and drained the oil from the unsuspecting owner. Their actions were unjustified and criminal no matter how poor they were. Not cute or funny at all.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #13
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

I think you meant "Karma."
Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
mrtexas

How about the 7 cylinder Ford story?

An old friend in his 80s said when he was in highschool a long time ago they had an old Ford and thru a rod. They dropped the pan, took out the rod and put it back together. Didn't idle very good but once it got going it was OK. Now it was a 7 cylinder Ford.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
19Fordy

No, I meant "Carma".
It's a made up word reflecting the damage or misdeeds that "car people" due to other "car people, thinking there will never be any "pay back" for their evil deeds."
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
push_rod

Years ago I had a neighbor who lived across the street, and was nearing retirement. One day he saw me working on my 1940 Coupe in my driveway.
He walked over and said how much my car brought back memories...
He claimed that he could blame the 1940 Ford Coupe he had for his joining the military. Apparently, back when he was nearing his eighteenth birthday, he had a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe. He admitted that he can not remember how he shoe horned a Chrysler Hemi engine into it, but that it turned out to be one of the fastest cars in the East Bay Area. Back then there was a police officer in nearby Oakland, who had a Hudson Hornet squad car; it was rumored that nobody could out run him. One night my neighbor was out street racing his Coupe, when he ran across that officer... the chase was on! He was able to keep just ahead of the police, driving recklessly... When he was sure he had outrun the law, he shut off his headlights, and coasted into a vacant field; where he sat and waited. The Hudson kept circling around nearby. Once he thought it was safe, he headed back toward the road. He might have gotten away that night, except that he misjudged how steep the shoulder was, and rolled his coupe onto it's roof! Just his rotten luck, the police officer rolled up in his Hudson at that moment! He was caught, and his coupe was totaled! The next day he appeared before a local judge... he was given a choice... he could be fined, and spend some time in jail... or all charges would be dropped if he would go down to the local recruiting office and join the marines!!! And so his military career began!

Last edited by push_rod; 01-19-2015 at 03:13 PM.
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
scicala

No offense, but sounds like these guys were a bunch of a-holes no matter what age.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
Dad and his buddies used to race the local cop. If you beat him, he didn't give you a ticket.
Outwitting the city cops was a game back in the 50's in my little home town. I remember one night a friend wound his Plymouth up and was going sideways in a gravel parking lot behind the local Dairy Queen. Upon seeing the city cop watching him, he shut his car down, jumped out, raised the hood and was looking to see why his gas pedal stuck wide open. The city cop held his flashlight while my friend looked but in vain.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #19
keith oh

In the fall of 1948 Ford was delivering the All New 1949 Models for show a couple of months later. One was hidden in our garage-barn (Dad was a dealer) to be retrieved on show day. My brother and I, 16 and 14 years old, got home from school and just had to uncover it for a look see. Wow what a beauty, sea mist green with a black interior, such a change from previous model. Brother Bruce found the key hidden in the glove compartment and decided to take a ride, He was older brother, that to me could do no wrong, so in I jumped in and all went well until he spun the wheels going from our gravel driveway to paved highway and broke an axel. We got the tractor, pulled it back into the garage, covered it back up and never said a thing. I told dad about it years later, he said FMC paid for replacing the axel no problem. We nearly sweat blood for a while.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
Bulligen

My Great Aunt Mary, grew up in Detroit in the 20's and was a flapper, she was a very spirited young woman, had a good job and was on her own for about 10 years. She decided that she was going to buy an automobile. She went down to the local Chevrolet dealer to pick one out. She was greated by a big burly salesman that asked her where her father was. He then went on to tell her to go home and bring him back with her!! She stormed out and proceeded to walk across the street to the Ford Agency and bought a brand new shiny black 1929 Roadster with rumble seat. She said when she pulled out onto the street the Chevrolet salesman was standing there with a dumbfounded look on his face. She proceeded to lay on the horn and gave him the finger as she drove by!!! I have a great photo of her in her roadster when it was still new.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote