Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
duffer

Default leak in radiator

I have a really small leak in drivers side bottom of radiator . One or 2 drops when i go out. It seems to be coming from the fold in the bottom . Do i have to take whole radiator out or can i put in some kind of sealer. i saw one in snyder's catalog called ceramic motor seal. Thank you.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: leak in radiator

one jar of Bar's Leak !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Dave in Boise

If you can confirm it is not coming out of the overflow tube on the drivers side, a sealer might not be a bad idea. My opinion is that sealers are generally a band-aid that you can use while you save up $ to get it to a radiator shop.. if it is leaking in one place, other places might be thin or fatigued enough to need attention in the near future.

Some have used sealers and likely never had an issue again, but I do wonder if a sealer would reduce flow and or effective cooling in the tubes (?).. Maybe someone with more experiences in sealers will chime in..

Maybe not a direct answer to your question, but hope it helped

- Dave in Boise
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
ford3

you can stop leaks in the radiator with stop leaks, but as dave said, its a band-aid fix, it will work for a while but will be harder to fix when you do pull radiator to send in to have it fixed, the shop has to clean out the sealer before they can fix the leak, more money spent, if your just trying to get the car so you can enjoy it for a while do it, but sooner or later, usually sooner its going to have to go to the shop
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I would add a short piece of rubber hose to the overflow and have it exit away from the crossmember. This way you can make sure the drop isn't condensation coming from the overflow pipe. Also make sure it isn't a little leak from the bottom hose. If you can determine the leak is from the bottom tank you might get lucky and find it's easily soldered in place. If the solder job is easier with the radiator out, then remove it. It doesn't take long to remove and makes the job much easier.

If the small leak is in the center of the core, where it isn't easy to reach, then I'd try some kind of radiator sealer first.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
duffer

I do have a rubber hose on the over flow . Doesn't seem to be coming from there ...thanks for the big picture that was posted ...if i end up pulling the radiator out i can see what i'm facing now.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
glenn in camino

Try Alumaseal. It won't clog your radiator
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
Try Alumaseal. It won't clog your radiator
Will Alumaseal work on our brass radiators?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
1crosscut

For a simple fix if it is in an area with easy access and doesn't show consider this. Clean the area real well and cut a piece of cotton cloth (t-shirt material) slightly bigger that the area that is leaking. Rub silicone sealent into the cloth really good and apply it over the area. Smear a touch more over the patch and let it cure. If you use black cloth and silicone it will be pretty tough to see. If you need to remove it a bit of scraping and wire brush work and it is gone. I've done this quite a few times on different things and it works suprisingly well.
Dave
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
duffer

I like your idea ,it should work being there is no pressure in the radiator. But will the silicone sealent melt when the radiator heats up?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Don't look for the EASIEST or CHEAPEST fix, look for the BEST fix.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
30ccpickup

One of my first posts on the Fordbarn was about my radiator and if I should use stop leak to fix it. Someone responded “just fix it right”, that’s been my philosophy with all problems since. The end result is, my A is very dependable and my knowledge about the car has increased. Pulling the radiator is not difficult; Les Andrews book outlines it quite well. As a friend would say, “If you do not have time to fix it right, when will you have time to fix it a second time”
Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #13
johnbuckley

Yes, but if a cheap and quick fix works why spent time, money and angst striving for perfection. Life's just too darn short.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Yes, but if a cheap and quick fix works why spent time, money and angst striving for perfection. Life's just too darn short.
too short to waste it on the side of a road wishing you fixed it right the first time.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
30ccpickup

John,
I can see your point. I personally enjoy working on it. For me it’s half the fun. It is an easy fix to take apart and put back together. My cost was $75.00.
Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
I like your idea ,it should work being there is no pressure in the radiator. But will the silicone sealent melt when the radiator heats up?
Silicone is very heat resistant. It will tolerate anything your coolant system can throw at it, even if your rig is spurtin like a gyser.

Just an idea as a temporary fix. But would probably be good for a long time.
Dave
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
ford3

LOL on critical parts there is no such thing as a quick, tempory,cheap fix, ask any garage owner, that type of fix is there bread and butter, a radiator repair now will save you a big tow bill and probably an engine over haul, some body on here said"spend a little money now, or a bunch alter", something caused the radiator to start leaking, probably viberation from the engine, it will only get worse, a crack or split in the seam of the radiator will only keep getting bigger
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote