Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
xqsme

Default Inherented '28 A model Ford I don't know if it's a Curse or a gift

Hello everybody. I have gotten addicted to this forum. Mainly because my uncle, 91 years young, gave me his A Model he's owned since 1941. 111,000 miles and runs fine. It's been a real learning experience for me.
Of course I set it on fire the first time I tried to start it, new carb fixed that.
10,000 grease fittings, think I got them all. It will zip right on down the road, I just would like the car to stay kinda straight.
Now to the gist of this, TIRES. Has 19 inch Garfield tires on it. They gotta be 30 years old. Still hold air, have put about 100+ miles on since getting it back on the road.
So a buddy wants to sell me a set of (i think) 1934 16 inch ford wheels with new Coker 6.00 x 16 tires. $1000.00. OK, but, his tires were new 10 YEARS AGO. Attched is a picture of a spare I put air in yesterday, it blew up in my face! The spare is a Firestone that was the spare with the Cokers. Same age I'm assuming.
So my question is, What to do for tires? I like the look of the wires, but don't trust them. Probably a lot of rust under all that paint.
How about a solid wheel, and what would fit the A?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6327.JPG (51.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6326.JPG (75.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6325.JPG (83.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6324.JPG (74.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6303.jpg (58.8 KB, 123 views)
xqsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
bart78

Default Re: Inherented '28 A model Ford I don't know if it's a Curse or a gift

I bet the wheels are fine. Blast them and see. If not they are all over the place.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
whirnot

I was in a similar situation, here is what I did. Got rid of the Garfields quick! Before they all blew. Bought 4 new 21 inch goodyear tires from Berts, same price as Coker when you add freight. Had all four wheels sand blasted, and powder coated while they were off. Total damage about $1300.00, but I know I don't have to worry about them.

BTW nice car!

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
700rpm

19" wheels in good shape are more common than the 21". I agree with Bill and Bart78: pull off the rubber and take a look at your 19's. They may have some minor rust, but blasting and powder coating will probably make you proud. If you have a bad one, they're common and easy to find a replacement. Then get some new Firestones and away you go. You'll probably have about $750 (by my local prices) into the project, but if your alignment is good the new setup should last you at least 25000 miles.

As for your buddy's wheels and tires, $1000 is too much, at least in my neighborhood. Ten-year-old tires are not new.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Bob C

The wheels on the car are 19" and are for 30-31 cars, you should have 21"
wheels and tires.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
700rpm

Good call, Bob; I wasn't paying close attention to the car itself, just his wheels.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
xqsme

Well, would the 21's be a better ride than the 19's?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

I wouldn't trust 10 year old tires since whatever you put on will probably be there for another 10 years. I wouldn't run the 19 inch wire wheels since to me it looks like somebody's short cut because they were lazy or wanted to save money. You should be able to find the correct 21 inch rims if you look. If you went with 16 inch wires it would probably look OK but solid rims just don't look right. If you run solid rims with stock model A drums/hubs you need an adapter (see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ns#post8330045). Not using an adapter will create a very dangerous situation that can result in the loss of a wheel. If you have converted to the 1940-1948 type of hydraulic drums and hubs and want to run wire wheels you need an different adapter. A final thought, if the wire wheels are 16 inch they are from a 1935 Ford. In !932 the wire wheel was 18 inch and in 1933-1934 the wire wheel was 17 inches. If any of the wire wheels are in good shape when you install them you should not worry about trusting them.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-15-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
jkeesey

$1,000 is WAY TOO MUCH for those wheels and tires. I got a set from a buddy a month ago with tires in better shape for $200. 19" and 21" wheels ride generally the same. They just look different. The 16" ride completely different. I would also suggest like the other guys getting 19" tires, this coming from a guy running old 16s.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
junk yard kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
$1,000 is WAY TOO MUCH for those wheels and tires. I got a set from a buddy a month ago with tires in better shape for $200. 19" and 21" wheels ride generally the same. They just look different. The 16" ride completely different. I would also suggest like the other guys getting 19" tires, this coming from a guy running old 16s.
This is what i was gunna say.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Phil

A gift of a Model A from your uncle that he has owned for over 70 years is WONDERFUL GIFT? New tires and tubes and you will be fine. Either 21s to be original or use the 19s because that is what you uncle ran on it your choice. Enjoy the car he loved for 70+ years.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Tiny

Read up on here about new tubes and tires. You may want to leave them alone and just drive them. I wish I had
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Xqsme,

Old tires are an interesting subject with an untold number of many, many different opinions from people of all ages.

Not being a tire expert, what I have witnessed & experienced in using old tires would be considered extremely un-safe & not at all recommended -- it was a different time when even tire boots were thought to be acceptable after a major blow out on a very thin tire.

But FWIW:

No doubt "some" former tires "Made in U. S. A." "were" very good:

A. I have some 1955 Chrysler New Yorker "worn" tires with tubes mounted on a trailer made with a Model B front end since 1960, (53 years ago), with the trailer always parked out of doors -- tires still good & still in use -- trailer had no fenders so when traveling on gravel roads back then, a worn trailer tire was good because it could not pick up gravel between the tire threads; hence, the trailer tires could not throw rocks at you -- because of non-pulling tires with no brakes, trailer tires almost lasted forever.

B. Dismantled a trailer in 1990 built by my Dad in 1932 with a Model A front axle -- whitewall tires he said were installed in 1936 -- it had red rubber inner tubes -- trailer had been always stored in a barn -- tires & tubes were still very serviceable after 54 years.

C. Have some 19" Goodyear new-looking tires I am still using on my Model A -- tires marked: "Made in Canada" -- which I think are about 30 years old & still look good -- still use them -- minor hairline exterior cracks, no leaks.

Have been lucky judging many old tires -- even have some still very serviceable 66 year old rear tires on my tractor.

I would never go on the highway with the badly cracked Firestone Champion 16" tires in your attached photos.

I have my doubts about today's new foreign made tires & tubes -- returned a few new tires right off of the shelf because after a few days, they were determined to be defective by the tire salesmen.

If one feels even a little uncomfortable in judging old Model A tires, my suggestion would be to buy new ones.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Farrell In Vancouver

All good advise so-far, if I might chime in. Get a hold of the right set of wheels for your car. The 19"ers don't look right on the early A's. Strip off and discard the old tires, and sell or trade the old rims for the 21's Watch out for the tubes as the tubes you get these days seems to be hit or miss in tube quality. So if they still look viable, sell them. Now clean and paint the new rims Black, and install the tires of your choice. I went with the 21" black wall Universals and have been very happy with them. Overseas (Korean) but economical and seem to wear better than most. And quite easy in the rain and snow. Finish it off with some shiny new hup caps and you are good to go.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Charlie Stephens

Another interesting thing on those 10 year old tires. Tires have date codes (see archives here and on HAMB). They may be older then your friend thinks.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
xqsme

Gentlemen, Thank you all very much. Took each wheel off today, several cracks around the stud holes on a couple of the wheels, AND a couple of striped studs. Gonna try the 21 inch wheels off a buddy's phaeton and see how they ride. Of course they got 50 year old tires on them too!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqsme View Post
Gentlemen, Thank you all very much. Took each wheel off today, several cracks around the stud holes on a couple of the wheels, AND a couple of striped studs. Gonna try the 21 inch wheels off a buddy's phaeton and see how they ride. Of course they got 50 year old tires on them too!
IMO, you'll be much happier with a stock Model A. I like the idea of Universals. I have a new set of Firestones with 3k miles that don't look like they'll last 12k. Wishing you great luck with the family heirloom.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
asapguy

I bought a restored 68C Cabbie back in 2002. It was restored between 68-72 & the tires were installed sometime between that time frame along with two in the side mounts. They are Goodyear WW's made in Canada. The car had been driven less the 100 miles after restoration (the owner died) when I bought it in 02. Those tires are now over 40 yrs. old & still usable. I have had one flat in 15K miles caused by a sheet metal screw. I do have new Firestone tires I plan to install before this yrs. adventures.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
ctlikon0712

On a side note about your stripped stud comment. There was a supplier of aftermarket lug nut that didn't cut the threads correctly and this caused the lugs to loosen and even pop off. Before you assume it’s the stud check out this thread.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...light=lug+nuts
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
springerpete

Keep in mind, as you drive on the old 21" wheels and tires, that the old tires are very hard compared to new ones. The handling you experience with the old stuff does not compare to what you will have with new. I was amazed how much better my car was with new tires. If you go with new, buy at least 2 extra tubes to have on hand " just in case."
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
ctlikon0712

That is truly a gift. He obviously thought you'd appreciate it and take care of it the way he would. Put 21's" on it and enjoy it. Sell the 19's the way they are, the new owner may want to keep the old tubes, if the troubles I’ve read about the new ones are true. I don't think 16" look right on a 28-29 but would be better than any solid wheel. If there aren’t any problems with the wire wheel they are plenty strong enough. One last thing, whatever wheel you decide on, bolt one at a time up before you purchase and spin them to make sure they are straight.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
Dick Webber

If you have 19" wheels cracked around the lug nut holes and you have a 28 (what date on firewall?) you may need AR 21" wheels. The early 28 AR hubs use a wheel with a shallower hub chamfer. Using a later wheel on AR hubs will cause the cracks around the lug nut holes because the later wheels will not contact the early hubs.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
Bob C

From the looks of your upper radiator hose I think you have a 30-31
water outlet neck, the 28-29 one is shorter.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6324.JPG (74.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Bob C; 05-15-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote