Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
fredski53

Default Engine numbers don’t match

Hey Guys, I know this has been hashed out before, but I’m looking at a 31 coupe to buy and I’ve noticed the engine number is from August of 29. On the drivers side A-pillar a new looking VIN tag has been attached and those numbers are from March of 1930. The car is at a dealership and I’ve only looked at pictures of it on line.. Dealership lists it as “original “. My question to you all is, does mix match numbers support an reason for a lower price? At this time I don’t know what numbers are on the title. The car is in Minnesota, I live in Indiana. I know the car would have to be checked out by local police, and if the numbers on the title don’t match the new looking VIN tag we have a problem. If the cop is smart about old cars, he could say the motor number and the VIN tag don’t match. They are asking 19K for the car, I think it’s worth 14k. Thanks, Fred
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
jack wingard

Default Re: Engine numbers don’t match

well then, the dealer doesn't realize the engine isn't original to that particular car. If the dealer says hog wash, then have them pull off the body and show you the frame VIN which should match the title VIN. Negotiate from there.
jack wingard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Stingray70

I think the consensus is that for a driver/non show car, a mismatched engine number doesn't affect the value much. Most of our cars have had engines swapped over the last 90 years. You can probably use it as a negotiating item though.

If the title doesn't match that VIN tag, it will be a PITA to sort out, so that would significantly affect the cars value.

JMHO
Old 12-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
aermotor

I don't know about other states. In S.C. a new VIN can be issued for a Homebuilt vehicle or a "Reconstructed" vehicle. I built a speedster from a collection of model A parts and other assorted parts that I had laying around. I was able to obtain a VIN number after jumping through a few hoops starting with the DMV. The VIN inspector was not at all interested in the car - all he wanted to see was the newly issued VIN number on the firewall. The definition of reconstructed vehicle is not really defined, at any rate I have a valid VIN number, title and license plates. No more body numbers, engine numbers only the VIN number, valid in any state like any other car.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
eagle

Sounds like you are wanting to play some games to lower the price. Do yourself a favor, tell them what you are willing to pay and why. Let the chips fall where they may. And for SURE, don't buy it sight unseen. Matching numbers on a Model A is quite rare if they haven't been altered to match. It might be a nice bonus if they were matching, but I'm not sure it really makes the car worth less if they aren't. If it was me I'd be more worried about a bondo body or worn out mechanicals. However, also check the title, make sure you know the hoops required to make the paperwork proper if it isn't already. Here in MN it is winter. Salt on the roads etc. Not likely you'll get to take it for a test drive, I sure wouldn't if it was mine, nor would I want salt in the crevasses of a car I was buying.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #6
john charlton

Get the dealer to send you a picture of the dash The speedos changed from oval to round in approx june 1930 . The dealer is selling the car as a 1931 with an early 1930 VIN he would have to explain that . Could be he has not picked up on that and does not know .

John in Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 12-09-2021 at 01:42 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
Chris in WNC

Number on the title is the most critical.
Engine can be re-stamped to match.

If I bought a car with a state-issued VIN tag I'd throw it away as soon as I got the engine number fixed to match my new title.

Before purchase, run the number on the title past the DMV to confirm it is not on a stolen list.
If you live in a different state than the existing title it might get more complicated.

If the title has a non-Model A number then that's a different can of worms.....
Old 12-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Number on the title is the most critical.
Engine can be re-stamped to match.

If I bought a car with a state-issued VIN tag I'd throw it away as soon as I got the engine number fixed to match my new title.

Before purchase, run the number on the title past the DMV to confirm it is not on a stolen list.
If you live in a different state than the existing title it might get more complicated.

If the title has a non-Model A number then that's a different can of worms.....
May be a mistake to toss a VIN number tag, run the number first as VIN numbers trump all other numbers.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #9
rotorwrench

The body doesn't have to be removed but it is still a PITA to lift it and pull the apron out of the way. If the frame is real crusty then there may no longer be a visible number. Forensic methods may work to bring it back up but it's always a gamble having to check the frame number.

All states have different procedures for issuing a title. It would be a good idea to see what your state requires before considering such a purchase.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
May be a mistake to toss a VIN number tag, run the number first as VIN numbers trump all other numbers.
That's why I wouldn't toss it until I got my new title and engine number to match.
That number will trump everything else.

My OCD just has a proiblem with non-Ford vechicle serial #s, but rotorwrench above is correct, your state's protocols must govern what you do or not do .....