Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2024, 03:44 PM   #1
Jacobs1946

Default Speedometer for 46 Ford Car

Hello, my speedometer never has worked so when i pulled the rear end out this last fall I discovered a broken speedo cable end. Bought a new one and installed. Speedometer still not working. Once I pulled the new cable, I saw the cable was snapped again in the same spot - at the torque tube end.
Everything looks good on the speedometer gear at the torque tube, so I pulled out the speedometer and it's really stuck. When I put a drill on it with a square bit it will register speed and the odometer seems to work fine, but it is really gummed up in there, takes a lot o torque to turn it. There are no screws to take it apart to get some lubricant in there. Would it be foolish to drill out the rivets and get some WD40 in there, or will everything come falling out if I do this? I'd like to have a speedo, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have another new speedometer cable but I know it would be toast if I reinstall thanks for any guidance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3300.jpg (49.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3301.jpg (39.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3302.jpg (43.0 KB, 170 views)
Jacobs1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:34 PM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: Speedometer for 46 Ford Car

Since it already doesn't work, there isn't much risk in opening it up. You'll want to use a better lubricant after cleaning the innards.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:38 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs1946 View Post
Hello, my speedometer never has worked so when i pulled the rear end out this last fall I discovered a broken speedo cable end. Bought a new one and installed. Speedometer still not working. Once I pulled the new cable, I saw the cable was snapped again in the same spot - at the torque tube end.
Everything looks good on the speedometer gear at the torque tube, so I pulled out the speedometer and it's really stuck. When I put a drill on it with a square bit it will register speed and the odometer seems to work fine, but it is really gummed up in there, takes a lot o torque to turn it. There are no screws to take it apart to get some lubricant in there. Would it be foolish to drill out the rivets and get some WD40 in there, or will everything come falling out if I do this? I'd like to have a speedo, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have another new speedometer cable but I know it would be toast if I reinstall thanks for any guidance!
Do not attempt to open it up with that chainsaw...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:53 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

Looks like you have a Waltham unit. Almost impossible to disassemble and clean yourself. It’s all riveted together unlike the Stewart Warner unit. Your problem is the speedometer head is froze therefore twisting the cable. Either send your speedometer to someone who specializes in repairing them or find a Stewart Warner unit and you can take it apart to clean and lube it. You could try heating it up with a heat gun but that would be a temporary fix.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:06 PM   #5
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Looks like you have a Waltham unit. Almost impossible to disassemble and clean yourself. It’s all riveted together unlike the Stewart Warner unit. Your problem is the speedometer head is froze therefore twisting the cable. Either send your speedometer to someone who specializes in repairing them or find a Stewart Warner unit and you can take it apart to clean and lube it. You could try heating it up with a heat gun but that would be a temporary fix.
I agree! Not familiar with your exact speedo but you would have to remove the SS trim to get the glass off hopefully without breaking anything. Then you would have to pull the needle off before you could attempt to get at the guts. Since your speedo face looks so nice I would send it to an expert to repair and they can repair it and calibrate it if needed.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:37 AM   #6
big job

coincidence: I just went through this I have the exact same speedo all I have was light 3 and 1 oil using a hypodermic needle think my problem was the needle would rise after a few miles then stay there when stopped so its needle bearings or jewels like a watch got lubed as well as everything else and lubed the cable. put a cotton ball in the hole where the cable goes cleaned the inside glass. Runs perfectly now. Hardest part was putting bulbs back in. BUT I leave every day 4:30 am to open the shop. going along there's a spot on my shoe > well I'll be what ever I did guess I woke up a bulb that shines on the ign switch I never knew that? sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:30 AM   #7
pistonbroke

In your second photo on the top side of the round sleeve like part I think I can see the pressed in plug that you need to extract to access and extract the lubricating wick and insert solvent ,PB blaster,WD40 of your choice. Then work it loose and lube it soaking the wick in the lube as well. Then just put the plug back in and your done. Been there ,done that and hope it works for you as well as it did for me. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 06:35 PM   #8
Jacobs1946

The chainsaw might be worth a try! Why didn't I think of that??? Hahaha!
Old 03-03-2024, 07:47 PM   #9
woodiewagon46

If you do try the repair yourself and I agree with others that say don't try it, do not use WD-40, use clock oil. Over time WD-40 will gum it up.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:55 AM   #10
deuce lover

Or have it serviced by a professional. Baxter Ford in Lawrence KS at one time was doing them and very reasonable..
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:03 PM   #11
Bokobob

I mailed a speedo to a well-rated shop in Austin, TX. He specializes in European speedo repair but his site says he does some work on American speedos....I found his work to be superb, and his price was fair..The name of the business is "overseas speedometer" and his number is (512) 329-8200.
might want to just check with him..
Best,
Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 01:15 PM   #12
Jacobs1946

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old 03-08-2024, 11:04 AM   #13
Terry,OH

Add penetrating oil to a small cup and place the drive end of the speedo in the oil, some oil may get into the shaft and loosen. Suggest driving the speedo with an electric drill and then repeat several times over a week.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote