Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Harms Way

Talking Car related PRANKS !

I wasn't really into mean pranks,... But I did throw charged up condensers on a guys car seat just before he sat down,.... stuff like that,... So what have you done or seen ? I'll start out with my favorite prank of all time,... And we'll see where this goes.

Back in High School,...My old buddy Jerry had his folks old Oldsmobile, and use to drive it to school, Jerry wasn't much of a car guy, so one day I sneak down to his house really early, and run a jumper wire from his brake light switch to his horn,.....

He had to drive right past my house to go to school,... Jerry was a really good, respectful, quiet kid,..... a real goody two shoes,..... anyway he gets to the end of my street and pulls up behind someone at the intersection and the horn is just blaring !,...... I pull out of my driveway and try to follow him and watch the fun,.... every time he stepped on the brakes that horn would blear, he was getting flipped off, cussed at,.... you name it.

When we pulled into the school parking lot, he was red faced and more embarrassed than I had ever seen him before, He asked me to look at his car after school "theres something wrong with my horn",.... so I follow him home and am busting a gut every time I see the brake lights go on and the horn go off, I am laughing so hard tears are blurring my vision (especially at long lights with cars in front of him)..... when we get to his house I take the wire off when I sent him to his garage to get me a screwdriver,.... a week later I do it again ,........ this went on for a long time,. I never did tell him it was a prank,.....

For years I carried a couple different lengths of wire with a alligator clip on either end,..... and repeated this prank many times, on many unsuspecting victim,.....

So,... lets hear what you got !
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Car related PRANKS !

Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't know you in High School... LOL Mostly all we ever did was remove the rotor from the distributor in guy's cars that we didn't like all that much. One kid had a '59 VW and the radio was hotwired, not through the ignition switch. He would never lock his car in the school parking lot so we'd turn the radio on and walk away. By the end of the day his battery was dead. I don't think he ever caught on.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
jkeesey

We just tossed smoke bombs under the front end or certain cars, but my favorite was soaping windsheild wipers.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Royal Ryser

Certainly not original, but we jammed a potato into the exhaust pipe (many times) and watched as people started their cars. Pow! that spud would come out!!
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
TonyM

One guy I knew would "grease a door handle" once in a while. Not often, and only for those truly deserving. He would take axle grease/bearing grease and apply it to the underside of a latch type door handle or on the inside surface of a grab type door handle. He would wipe down handle on the exposed surface and it would look real good and clean. But when the offender grabbed the door handle to open the door, he got a good coating of grease on the hand from the underside. Always good for a few laughs.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Newc

Hi; These would all make a great book. It would be a good fund raiser. When ever we got spanked by Dad, he would get a rock in his hubcap. Never did catch on to us kids. Later Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
lo c dan

I don't know if this cross over is welcome here so Delete it if its out-a-line.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=pranks
Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Mike51Merc

Well this was more like revenge than a prank. A local lowlife sent a buddy of mine to the hospital with a concussion. A couple of days later, we found his car parked alone at our local hangout, and just as a coincidence there was a roadkill skunk not far away.

Well, we got us a stick and a cardboard box and rolled that skunk into the box. Drove my car holding the box out the window, and we dropped that mess-o-stink into the back seat of the guy's car.

He had to junk the car, which was a POS anyway. He always suspected us but couldn't prove anything and even if he could he already had a lengthy RAP sheet and we were clean.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Harms Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo c dan View Post
I don't know if this cross over is welcome here so Delete it if its out-a-line.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=pranks
Yep !

Most certainly is,.. In fact it was the reason for posting it here,.. Just looking for more and different perspectives.

We also would change firing orders at the distributor cap,.... I am guessing I was kind of a rotten kid,.... Huh?,... I never thought I was!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
jim1932

In Highschool on of the teachers has a VW bug. We got a bunch of guys and walked(move the front, move the back..repeat a lot) it into a corner of the building so both the front bumpers were touching and she couldn't drive the car out.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
phat rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
In Highschool on of the teachers has a VW bug. We got a bunch of guys and walked(move the front, move the back..repeat a lot) it into a corner of the building so both the front bumpers were touching and she couldn't drive the car out.

A bunch of us did the same thing to a gal in our class.

Another time some buddies jacked my car up and put just the right size blocks under the rear end and let it back down. The tires were just barely off the ground so I didn't realize it and got in and tried to drive off. Everyone got a good laugh out of that
phat rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
oldbugger

How about running a copper line up to the dash with a zerk fitting and the other end brazed into the exhaust pipe just after the manifold. You could make quite a cloud of smoke when ever you pumped a little grease down there. Probably wouldn't work with todays laws and cat converters, but it sure used to be fun.
oldbugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

A 8-10" piece of bicycle inner tube stretched over the end of your buddy's cars tail pipe.. one heck of a racket
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Bob NH

Inner tube over the tailpipe was a lot of laughs as well as shooting long flames out back by way of a model "T" coil and spark plug in the rear of tailpipe. I sure love that first one about wiring the horn to the brake light ! Still chuckling over that. Thanks for the laughs guys
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
Gary in Mozarks

The best one I ever saw was a protection from other kids bothering you at the drive in (with your girl) you wrapped a wire around a spark plug and let it hang down almost to the ground and then tied a nail to it, so the nail would touch the ground when you were sitting still but would swing up out of the way when you were moving. ANyone that touched the door handle whle the the car was stopped and the engine was running got a real poke. Ive heard tell it was hard on dogs leaking on tires too. (of coarse I would never do that)
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Bassman/NZ

In the early 60s I used to get a ride to a wrestling club with a buddy. If someone was riding a bicycle, we would come up behind them and he would turn the ignition key off, floor the gas and turn the key back on. The resultant BANG! had more than a few cyclists wobbling all over the road.
About 25 years ago I was playing in a band and the slimeball venue owner told us to go f*** ourselves when we fronted up for our pay. He owed us $2K for several gigs. We went to small claims court and they ruled for us, but they were toothless, and he just laughed at us. We found his pride and joy BMW one night, slashed all the tires and filled all his doorlocks with super glue, plus spread super glue over all his windows and external mirrors. We never got paid, but boy, we got revenge!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
THE "A" FAMILY

we would take bailing twine and tie it to the drive line. do this in a couple of different places and it makes alot of noise going down the road. especially when you are in a hurry and don't have time or the clothes to climb under and take it off.
THE "A" FAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
bbrocksr

How about hooking the stop light switch to the windshield washers and run the hose up the outside of the steering column and aim it at the driver. Quite a surprise when you hit the brakes.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #19
cmbrucew

1" steel ball inside a 2 foot piece of 1 1/2 exhaust tube.
Weld washer on each end. Tie wrap onto frame or tail pipe.
Results in a loud bang when they brake or accelerate.
Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #20
Brian

Two of my favourites; use a pencil to draw a line down the insulator of a sparkplug. Works particularly well on single cyl motorcycles!
A shot of brake fluid up the exhaust pipe will cause untold amounts of white smoke to be emitted for many, many miles. That stuff just doesn't burn away. I like to push a hose up the tailpipe, into the muffler, insert a funnel into the end of hose, pour in a good amount, remove funnel and using your mouth, blow the fluid right up. [yum]
disclaimer; Now that I'm a mature, respectable citizen, I cannot condone such juvenile behaviour!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
denverslim

Thirty years ago we had a constuction boss with a real attitude! He was one of those high-strung guys who walked fast, talked fast, never laughed at anything and got real mean and mad about once a day and loved to yell at you face to face, his face turning bright red and the veins in his neck bulging. One day someone (wonder who?) slipped into his new brand new Ford pickup and turned everything on and up high, before turning the key back off. I mean the flashers, the wipers, the heater fan, the radio on as high as it would go-- everything that had a switch.
We laid in the weeds 'til he jumped in to go somewhere and watched the fireworks.
When he turned the key on he went ballastic, not knowing which switch to go for first. He was a jumpin' and and a screemin', his arms a flying around, "you no good dirty @#*&'s" and "what kind of rotten %$#@ would do a thing like that!" After he finally got everything shut down he drove off and didn't come back at all that day...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
Ralph Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post

We did a similar thing to a VW bug in the school parking lot, only we moved the car next to it(belonged to one of the auto mechanics class guys) and then picked it up and turned it sideways. When the kid came out, he could'nt go anywhere until the other guys showed up.

We also put 16 guys from the auto mech class into a VW and drove it around the school gounds and local streets, we were piled up like cord wood in it, and one guy steered, while another did the shifting and yet another was on the gas/brake/clutch.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #23
lee34

Friend ? would carry chain and lock in his trunk.He would go park with his girlfriend in farmers fields and he would lock the gate with the chain and lock. One night someone put another lock on the chain beside his.Took a long time to get out. My 2 cents lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 AM   #24
Karl Wolf

My dad drove a black 1947 Ford to work, appliance dealership in Milwaukee... Large parking lot, and one day he had made it half way home when he noticed that he was driving a Plymouth- the key worked... So he drove it back, parked it in another different place... And for the next couple of weeks, made it a practice to move the other guys car every day...
My dad was a pretty staight shooter, honest and strick- so seeing this side of him was a treat for me...

Years later, he drove tiny German car, ever hear of a Gogomobile? $600, new...
End of the day, he was out the office door, employed as an accountant at a boatyard... His car was set up on four 55 gallon drums... The yard guys were snickering from around the corner...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Tom Morookian

More than a prank I guess - only do it to somebody who really deserves it.

Only works in winter

Take your portable air tank and put about a quart of water in it, then pressurize it up to about 40 lbs. Pump that quart of water into the deserving parties front tire.

When it freezes overnight the ice in the tire causes a terrible imbalance.

Once they drive a few miles the tire heat melts the ice and the imbalance goes away. Next morning it start all over again.

It's not easy being heartless, mean,wicked and cruel, all at the same time.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #26
Jack 34pu

I've got a couple:

1st - I dated a girl in Chambersburg in the late 50's. An acquaintence of hers on the next street was engaged to her boyfriend but was a little weak when other fellows came around. Her fiance' drove a cement truck so one day as he passed her house, he saw a stray car in her driveway so he emptied a few yards on concrete in the front seat!

2nd - Out of high school and working for Grove Mfg. (mobile cranes etc) the yard men always were watching for new employees. Cranes were always running around the parking for testing so they would find and lift a new employee's car and put blocks under the rear axle - and set it back down. (just enough to let the wheels touch but no traction)(cars had bumpers then!) Everyone hung around at quitting time to watch the fun.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Shadetree

My uncle enjoyed the Model T coil shock treatment. He always told this story of my grandfather. My grandfather who was up in years was walking home from town and my uncle offered him a ride. Just as he reached for the door handle my uncle turned the coil on. My grandfather wet himself! Never being short for words, he gave my uncle a loud cussing. My uncle felt bad about it and offered to take him home. My grandfather told him to go to H---, walking wasn't taken up.

Shadetree
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
Shadetree

A worker at the local aluminum plant bought a new Volkswagen Beetle back in the late 50's, early 60's. He was always bragging what a great car it was. If you recall the early Volkswagens didn't have a gas guage, just a reserve valve. Some of the guys would add gasoline to his gas tank in the parking lot. The owner would brag he was getting over 50 MPG. This went on for several weeks. He told the guys he was taking his car in for servicing and was going to warn the mechanic not to touch the carburetor, as it was set perfectly. After the servicing the co-workers started taking gas out of his tank. The owner was really upset and said he told that SOB mechanic not to touch that carburetor..

Shadetree
Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
bagged36

This is a story that my friends dad used to tell us about the various pranks his dad would pull and I will never forget this one. Him and his buddies were always playing pranks on each other and one day he was in a hurry to leave work so he jumped in his car and took off. When he got home, he realized he left his wallet at home so he call the garage he worked at and had his buddy put it in his tool box so nothing happened to it. Big mistake, his buddy put wallet in a drill press and drilled right through it, money and all. Then put a bolt in it and tightened a nut on the other end, plus bent the end of the bolt so he would have to cut the bolt off.

Well, now to the retaliation car prank. Not to long after that, there was a big race that they were going to take their dragster to, so my buddies grandpa used a center punch to poke a small hole in each of the headlights of the 60 chevy that they were using to pull the dragster. He then filled the headlights with acetylene and sealed them back up. Well, they took off to the races and when it came time to turn on the lights, BOOM. Turns out, he put a little too much acetylene in the lights and sealed them a little to good because it blew the front fenders out from the core support and the hood flew up. I think they settled down on the pranks after that.
bagged36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #30
35 rancho

Long ago as a kid it was a treat to spend the night at my cousin's house. Now we had two trouble makers. Walking through the neighborhood everyone had their trash can's out, someone was throwing out a 50' green garden hose. Once the sun went down we tied up a few can's on one side of the street and a few more on the other side. And of course the hose dangled about 18" in the middle of the road. Sure enough here comes the hot rod kid hauling ass up the street, Going way faster than the 25 mph limit he hit the hose before he knew it. Slamming on his breaks jerking all the cans in the road . Sounded like a pile up on the interstate. Came real close to wetting my self, and that's why I couldn't spend the night any more.
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
danliveshere

Cool Re: Car related PRANKS !

My late father was always one for pranks. As a first year apprentice boiler maker(welder), his pay was very low. Somebody was stealing half a pack of his cigerettes nearly every day, so finally, time to get even. He grabbed some cigerettes, removed the tobacco out the end, added some gun powder, packed the tobacoo back in nice and tight, and off to work. Sure enough at the end of the day, half the pack was gone... Next morning he was sommoned to the boss's office to explain. Turns out the culprate was an older worker near retirement who use to bum a lift to work every day. That afternoon the smoke thieves were driving home with the windows up and both driver and passenger found the gunpowder at the same time and eye brows etc were burnt. Gets better. The car filled up with so much smoke they couldn't see, smashed the car into a power pole and wrote the little morris off. Police weren't involved, as he did this to his own smokes only, the 2 smoke bandits given a warning, and dad a stern warning not to do such things again on work premises.....never stopped his pranks to those deserving of pranks!!!
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
[email protected]

Fox urine like is used for a cover scent in a hypodermic needle. Poke the needle thru the weather strip around the windows and unload the hypodermic. Fox urine smells as bad as skunk urine and I'm not sure how to get it out of the interior.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #33
Brian

And I'm not sure how you collect it out of the fox! Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #34
Shadetree

A few years ago I met a teenager on a bicycle going the opposite direction. He was showing off for us with his arms crossed and no hands on the handlebars. After I passed him and was 20 feet or so behind him I laid on the horn button. I watched in the mirror as he frantically grabbed the handlebars and then flipped me the bird.
Shadetree
Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #35
Straightpipes

Farm kids amusing themselves:
Back in the 50s we would take an old tire and wrap it up in paper. Some may remember that is how new tires came. Anyway, after dark, we would tie a rope onto it and set it alongside the road. We would be hiding in the bushes. A car would go by and see the new tire alongside the road. They would do a turn around but when they came back the tire would be gone.......Some of them went back and forth a couple of times looking for that tire.

The old man had a 36 Ford farm truck 1/2 ton. He took the drivers door off as many did. I was about 13 or so and we had it out in the fields mending fence. I left her running and started to work, looked up and away goes the old truck down the hill. I took off after it but was too late. She went about 200 yards and hit a tree at the end of the field.
That very truck is still in the woods down behind the barn 50 years later.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #36
Tinker

My uncle of a practically joker type told me about this little trick when they got bored.

Take a purse and fill it with dog sh*t. Place it on the side of a highway or well traveled street.

9 times out of 10 people stop to pickup the purse and 30ft after taking off throw it out the window!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #37
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
And I'm not sure how you collect it out of the fox! Brian
The best way is to get em drunk and when they go behind the car to piss catch it in a bottle.

Or go to a sporting goods store and buy it.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #38
40 Deluxe

Regarding the acetylene in the headlights trick: Just how do you poke a hole in a glass sealed beam (with a center punch, no less!) without shattering it?!
Smells fishy!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #39
Harms Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Regarding the acetylene in the headlights trick: Just how do you poke a hole in a glass sealed beam (with a center punch, no less!) without shattering it?!
Smells fishy!
Speaking of "Fish",
A friend of mine told me he had put a dead fish and some Limburger cheese on the intake manifold of the car that belonged to a gentleman that ran off with his wife.

I'm not into malicious pranks,.... But I kind of forgave Jerry for this one. That guy really messed up his world.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #40
46fordnut

i did one a few years back to my ex girlfriend...took a small piece of flexible steel metal drilled a small hole, push into tail pipe .....wait till she started the car when she drove away it just would whistle all the the time she drove. did one other to a friend of mine rewired the car so each time they would hit the brakes the horn of the car would sound!