Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
53INGY

Default Hydraulic brakes conversion on 1934 Ford

Gentlemen I am confused how to convert a 1934 Ford old school 39-48 backing plates and hardware to what brake drums which are compatable with 34 17 inch wire wheels. I have been told due to the little tits on the original drums I need some type of adapter plate to use other year front and rear hubs. I wonder if this info is in a manual and I don't have to invent the wheel. I have been told about a bendix system out of V8 garage Calif. but sounds kind of pricey.Ifigure allthis info is in print some where, any help would be appreciated
53INGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Hydraulic brakes conversion on 1934 Ford

The biggest problem is the drums. Usable originals are hard to get. You can get repo drums and use them with the original 39-48 backing plates. You will need new or original hubs. You will need the spacer rings that replace the little stands on your original drums. The wheels need the support or they will not attach solidly. The original front backing plate holes need to be slotted to fit the spindle. There are bearing and spindle spacers also needed. All venders have them. Get the master cylinder mount from The V8 Garage. Use your original pedals. Hoses,fittings and lines are the last problem. Opps! You will need to rework some linkage so the emergency brake works. Hot rod stuff is what I used
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Also talk to the V8 garage about the emergency brake.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
bobH

OT comment... Hydraulics on a 34, fronts look a little goofy to me, as the front track is slightly increased, and the wheels are a little 'awkwardly' out in the front fenders. JMO
(If you have a high-boy, or a dropped axle, this comment does not apply.)
Richard is 'your guy' (EV8G) 626-338-2282
He used to be a regular on here.
He's got all the details worked out, including the emergency brake, pre-bent lines, brackets, etc, etc. His 'install' leaves NO modifications (no holes, nothing) to the original car.
If you don't mind drilling holes, look for an old Ansen M/C bracket (or make one).
(Maybe part of your question has to do with which spindles, how to mount backing plates, which drums/hubs ?? Richard has all these answers, and also Vern Tardel/Mike Bishop, and also Dennis Cling (sp?), and many others. There are some 'clues' in catalogs, like Mac's, etc. Example... Mac's lists an "Adapter Set" to put 39-48 backing plates on 32-36 spindles, X2000, 17.95)
( clingsaftermarket.com )
(Personal opinion... I think Vern Tardel sells a nice wheel adapter ring (for wire wheels), for those of us that don't have machining capability to make our own. Of course, Richard and others also have them.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 MC bkt.jpg (55.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by bobH; 09-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I bought the master cylinder mount and E brake parts, to do hydraulic brakes on one of my 35's using the stock pedal assembly and E brake handle, from Richard Lacy @ the Early V8 Garage in CA. No cutting or modifying required. I chose not to use his other components available for this conversion because I already had everything else needed. You may be able to use stock rear drums/hubs as I did on my '35 but the fronts would need to be '40-'48 or the new repro hubs/drums. In either case, the front drums would need support rings for stock wire wheels. These rings are 4-1/2" OD, 4" ID and ~ 0.185" thick in heighth. I make my own from 4" water pipe. Do not use the stamped sheetmetal spacers that fit on the lug nut studs on the stock 40-48 drums because they position the wheels out from the drums requiring longer studs. Some here will tell you to do that anyway and not have lug nuts fully engaged on stud threads but I would not suggest that and niether does Richard Lacy. The stock rear drums would or should already have the projections needed to properly support the wire wheels.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Krylon32

I've done a few conversions using the MT Lincoln backing plates,hubs and drums on the 32/34 style spindles. It's a bolt on using a small inner bearing spacer also from MT. Gives you 12X2 inch brakes.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote