Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Todd'sflathead

Default Paul Bradley

I called Paul Bradley this morning with the hopes of getting some parts I talked to his a swearing service who took my name number he should call me after 4. Has anyone had luck getting there parts In a reasonable amount of time I have heard of guys waiting monthes . Anyone have any recent experiences ?
Todd'sflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Paul Bradley

Everything being relative, what do you consider a reasonable amount of time? I got a set of floor pans for our '39 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Club Coupe from Paul, it took about four months as I recall, however, the quality is outstanding and I, for one, think they were worth the wait.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
nospartsman
BANNED

What year floor do you need? I can supply complete floor pans for 35-48 Ford and Mercury. Photo is 1941-48.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (90.9 KB, 237 views)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
barnfind

I have a set for a 36 and they look outstanding but it really doesn't make sense why it takes so long to press some metal for such a relatively small market. They are obviously not hammer formed on the floor or cut and welded up custom panels. He may be outsourcing the stamping process and that's why it takes so long.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
TJ

I think the floor pans are a sideline and not a full time job. You might want to do a search on here for conversations about Bradley and delivery time.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Ziffer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Since it is unlikely that they have a separate press set up for each floor pan it seems most likely that they probably don't run until they have several ordered.

I got 33-34 pans from Bradley and they are spot on.

Z
Ziffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Did your 34 pan from Bradley have the 3 square stampings for the seat support along each side ,thxs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziffer View Post
Since it is unlikely that they have a separate press set up for each floor pan it seems most likely that they probably don't run until they have several ordered.

I got 33-34 pans from Bradley and they are spot on.

Z

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
KiWinUS

Guys these floor pans are hand made , not 1 big stamping . Every crease , bead , break , or indentation is had done one at a time on hand made incredibly impressive equipment !
It is a work of art how these are made . not a side business , but pure craftsmanship!!!
Hours of work in each one .
I have no idea why customers have to wait so long , Paul is just down the road from me & I have seen how they are made .
"AMAZING!"
cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I made patterns for my 51 Merc floor panels then transposed them to the correct thickness of plywood and cut the beaded areas with a router. I clamp the plywood form along with the sheet metal and then the patterns down on a heavy steel table top. I use several different shaped swaging tools to pound out the beads in the pattern using angle iron clamped over the pattern to keep my beads straight. I do it all by hand with the old style method of sheet metal forming used before presses came along. It was a lot of work to make the forms & patterns with accuracy plus the swaging tools are all hand made to fit the beads just right.

I would figure this is the same way Paul does it or at least in a similar fashion. I wouldn't really want to do this for a living so I don't. I just do it because no one else does.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Guys these floor pans are hand made , not 1 big stamping . Every crease , bead , break , or indentation is had done one at a time on hand made incredibly impressive equipment !
It is a work of art how these are made . not a side business , but pure craftsmanship!!!
Hours of work in each one .
I have no idea why customers have to wait so long , Paul is just down the road from me & I have seen how they are made .
"AMAZING!"
cheers
Tony
I have a set of Paul's floor pans and they are very well made. Beautiful workmanship.

I have met Paul in person and he was dealing wth being short handed in his shop at one time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floor Pans1.jpg (95.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
VeryTangled

Hello Everyone, I have no info to contribute on the question of quality or delivery time of Bradley floor pans. But I do have something to add regarding the person.

I've met him one time, and I hung with him for four or five tense hours. It was during my very first Early Ford V8 National Meet, in Charlotte, 2010, I think. I was at the show with my dear departed Dad, Henry. He'd told me we just couldn't miss out on judging the show cars, so we both volunteered, and because I don't know squat about most of these flatheads, but at least could recognize a '36, we got put on the 1936 team, and I think we did three or four cars. (So it goes, having your car point judged by buffoons!) At least one was SO not ready for Concourse judging, and another one was simply a perfect '36 Roadster, that I've seen at a few big meets since that day. He allowed me to listen in as he explained why the judges deducted points to the owners, a dicey job.

For those who attended the show, everyone will remember the heat on Concourse Judging day! It was so hot, it was sketchy, health-wise, for the old folks!

Paul was the Deputy Judge, my boss for the day. Because I'm on the younger side, at 53 now, and because I like looking at cars from underneath, I was put on the chassis/frame part of the judging sheet. Paul partnered with me on doing the undercairrages.

While we were crawling under cars, he was very patiently giving me the low-down on what to watch out for that was correct or not! He picked details out instantly, like brake backing plates, and aftermarket running boards. I'll never forget his kindness, knowledge, and willingness to teach. (This praise coming from a professional instructor.)

I have not had the pleasure to meet him a second time. I am looking forward to the day!

From my experience, Paul Bradley was a very impressive old Ford guy. I hope this helps someone.

-VT/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

I have known Paul for years, and before that I knew his late father. Both of them are/were exceptional guys. Floor pans was/is not the only business, so they are slow at times, but you can't beat their products. If you know you are going to need floor pans before you can finish your restoration, go ahead and order them, because it does take him quite a long time, sometimes, to get the product to you. You can be working on other issues while you wait for the pans.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Pete/Ct.

Don't waste your time dealing with Bradley. He charged my credit card for floor panels for my 34 Ford and I waited over two years and only through the intervention of an associate of Bradley did I get my pans. My experience has been echoed several times by others unfortunate enough to have had dealings with him. Save aggravation, time and money and get them anywhere else. Pete/Ct.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Charlie ny
BANNED

Guys,
Paul is THE source, unless of course quality and fit aren't all that important.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
David J

X2 on this . Never had any dealings with him nor do I know him but there is definitely history here .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
You might want to do a search on here for conversations about Bradley and delivery time.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
rotorwrench

I've never done professional automobile restoration but I have on the helicopters. Customers always want the product yesterday especially if they pay any moneys up front. We have to get money up front just to be able to pay for the very high dollar parts that go into the helicopters. Paul Bradley's upfront will pay for the steel he buys plus any other consumables that are involved. Cold rolled AKDQ steel in 18 gauge is still affordable but the shipping is high unless you are lucky enough to have a supplier close by. His forms likely have to be renewed every so often depending on how they are constructed and that stuff takes time too.

If a guy doesn't want to wait, his only recourse it to contract a metal shaper to do the job at a high labor rate or tool up and do the job himself. I figure if a guy has the skill to put the metal parts in there then he likely has enough savy to make the parts. Most things I'd rather do myself but if something saves you valuable time then that route is usually best.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
36 CS

The first time I got 36 floor pans approx. 18 months after I ordered them. I ordered 2 sets at the same time . Approx. Dec. it will be 3 years ago he called me and wanted my VISA number for the second set. He would ship them out the following Monday. They never came. I have a friend in VA. that is a judge and also knows Paul. He called him and tried to intercede on my behalf. Paul found out I was going to the Hiwasse Ga. meet, he called me and said to call him when I got up there. I called the number he gave me when I was there, asked several people if they had seen him. I did not get in touch with him. He never returned my call. I have called and left word with the lady at his place of business for him to return my money , I have decided to street rod the car. I still have not heard from him after several more calls. I give up, if he needs the money that badly I will give it to him. I do not want to cause any trouble for him because as many has said he does make a good product. In my opinion he does not set a good example as a business man and should not be a EFV8 judge, regardless of the good quality of product. W.L. Donald
36 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #18
Dave D

Unless you can physically go into his shop and pick them up DO NOT buy anything from Bradley. I waited TWO YEARS until he claimed he had them ready and then ANOTHER YEAR after he charged my credit card and I STILL did not receive them.

It was only after a threat that I would call his local police and file theft charges that I even got my money back.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Fe26

Waddingtons! One piece, perfection, available from Australia.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Waddingtons! One piece, perfection, available from Australia.
Can you show us a picture and tell us how much $ and if anybody in the USA stocks it?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote