Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
ratamahata

Default Early brakes questions!!

Hey guys recently found a picture in a old post talking about the equalizer brake system, I think is like my equalizer system, because my chassis number date is june 1928 (number A188826)
The squeeze style handle was used June '28 thru Dec. '28 in front of the gear shift.

Was the Ford transition of the equalizer bar and multi-piece cross shaft to the solid cross shaft?

The emergency brake mechanism works independently of the service brake?

Please anyone could give me a list of the parts for a properly restoration?

Please note that still do not have adequate literature for my restoration, I could not even acquire the services bulletins, and the judging standards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0578.jpg (67.8 KB, 260 views)
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Jack Richard

Default Re: Early brakes questions!!

There were two "styles" of the equalizer brake system on the Model A. The first was on the earlier 1928 cars (until about May) that had the so-called AR brakes. This system had the emergency brake handle on the left side, near the cowl panel. This emergency brake was connected to the middle equalizer bar that the foot brake operated, but it had an additional lever arm at the left end for the rod from the e-brake handle, so it activated all 4 brakes. When Ford was forced to add a separate emergency brake system, he moved the lever to in front of the shift tower (later to the right side of the shift tower) and it operated as shown in your photo above. This system used different brake drums and wheels and added brake bands in the rear drums for the emergency brakes which acted separately from the service (foot) brakes. The equalizer system worked the same as in the earlier system for the service brakes, and in theory pulled the brake rods with equal force when applied, as long as all were connected to a brake lever. This system was replaced in 1929 by the later style cross-shaft that was one piece and did not "equalize" the pressures on the rods, but pulled them all equal distance regardless of the resistance of the brake and distance needed to apply each brake. I have cars with both systems, and the equalizer does make brake adjustments simpler and brakes seem very effective, but is much more complicated to restore and assemble than the later one-piece cross shaft system. If you need help identifying what parts you need, try looking at a 1928 Ford parts book first, then either look at a well-restored or original early car, or send me a message and I will try to help.
Jack Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

The real question is where is your brake handle? If mounted at the left cowl it likely had the earlier style which uses the single eye/ clevis cross shaft and the e-brake system is not seperate from the service brake. If it is mounted to the transmission infornt of the gear shift it likely had the next style which uses the double clevis end. Picture below is the earlier style cross shaft. Also make sure to use the socket springs to keep it all tight and will aid greatly to keeping the brakes adjusted properly.

My rdstr pu had the earlier style dipite the May firewall and engine dates. At best guesse it was likely assembled in early to mid June. Commercial vehicles have been seen with the earlier style til late in 1928, so no real suprise there. Rod

Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Also the earlier brakes used the single eye lever on the front brake actuator instead of the clevis. I am still looking on the net for pic's of the later style cross shafts with the e-brake handle in front of the gear shift. I had pic's of them loaded to the net several years ago, but can not find them. If I do not find them I will take pic's of the ones in the shop. Rod

Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Ron in Quincy

To be totally correct, you would also need non adjustable brake rods for the date of your A; these are a little hard to find.

I have some extra floating brake system parts and the correct emergency brake cross shaft if you find a problem locating what you need .

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
ratamahata

One problem, i don't have the original transmission, definitively the chassis had the emergency brake cross shaft (1928-1930 style) I must take a pictures of what i have and later post them here, this socket springs are missing!!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

If it has the e-brake cross shaft likely it had the e-brake mounted on the transmission as the cross shaft was not used with the e-brake next to the left cowl. Rod
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
ratamahata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
If it has the e-brake cross shaft likely it had the e-brake mounted on the transmission as the cross shaft was not used with the e-brake next to the left cowl. Rod

The brakes cross shaft assembly, the arms had a clevis top and bottom!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

Just a quick note, the measurements of the spring in the pic were done with a machinset rule, not metric, just for clarifiaction. I ordered some Danley die springs when doing mine. They come in several different tensions and are color coded according to the spring rate. Get the lightest spring rate, which I beleive are green or black, I forget which. Rod
Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
ratamahata

The pictures came, with more questions...

Brake return spring (5” long) this spring located inside the left frame rail behind the center cross member … attached to a large rivet, In the pics my chassis did not have the large rivet attached, but I have the spring, How it´s possible? Ya when I bought the car the spring was hanging attached to a wire...

The brake system conditions are not very good, but this does not scare me!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loojkññ 010.jpg (198.9 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 009.jpg (186.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 008.jpg (186.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 003.jpg (171.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 006.jpg (141.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 005.jpg (190.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 007.jpg (146.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg loojkññ 011.jpg (227.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
ratamahata

One more thing this piece in the pic below is not original i think, is not like the other i saw!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loojkññ 004.jpg (174.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Jim Parker Toronto

No, that piece is not original. the original had a ball in the center, and two smaller balls on the ends. I will see if I can find a picture of it for you. I also has some early brake rods in great shape, if anyone is interested.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

There was a dogbone as it is often refered to on e-bay. I am not sure if it is still lised or not. Another thing. the dogbone has ears inside the center cross memeber. Some of these ears are a bolted on piece others are made as part of frame, just a cut with on 3 sides and bent to the inside. I am guessing your frame has the bracket in one way or another. Rod
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
Jack Richard

The large spring in your photos was not original, is one of many aftermarket items offered to compensate for worn brake system. The center link looks like it has a lot of wear from being used with the incorrect "dogbone" substitute. It possibly could be repaired but might be easier to find a better replacement.
Jack Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
ratamahata

Ebay photo (dogbone) Thank´s Rod and the other photo brake return spring attached to a large rivet in the frame Thank´s to Charles Reese
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqEOKjEE3FtbrZDjBN2bv+t9EQ~~_12.JPG (16.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg ford spring retracting.jpg (8.0 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-18-2022, 10:45 PM   #16
28ARTudor

We have an early 1928, #15066 in production left to us by our dad and we are working to make more road worthy, its down to the frame currently with emergency brake on the left frame, we are trying to find help, diagrams and parts to make it functional again We gave the lever and frame mounted hard ware but no linkage. Does anyone have diagram to help us?
28ARTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:25 AM   #17
redmodelt

You are coming in on the tail end of a 10 year old post, suggest starting your own with what you are looking for as a title.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #18
nkaminar

I did not understand why Ford went away from the self equalizing brakes in the early cars. It would have been easy to design the ends of the cross shaft to float so that the entire system would be self equalizing on all 4 wheels. (I think the early shafts did float to a certain degree.) Then it struck me. This was a safety issue. If a clevis pin fell out of one rod the whole brake system would fail. Or if one brake failed for another reason, the system would fail.

Once the newer brakes are correctly adjusted and have the proper braking force on all 4 wheels, then the system is good to go. If a clevis pin falls out then the remaining 3 wheels brake as they should. This ends up being safer than hydraulic brakes with the single piston master cylinder. In that system if a line fails, the whole brake system goes down.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-20-2022 at 06:26 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:31 PM   #19
ratamahata

Hey guys... just came across with this pictures over IG... Good example for AR brakes
Old 02-28-2023, 08:34 PM   #20
Wagga A'er

On the early 28's the dogbone has two small springs that fit on the ends. This helps to maintain tension when it is assembled. if you search really hard you will find reference to these.
Wagga A'er is offline   Reply With Quote