Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2023, 07:14 PM   #1
Ayers1

Default Diagram to make terminal box switchable

I have heard that you can move a couple of wires around between the coil and terminal box in order to make 1 side work through the switch. I have a a combination oil/water meter that needs to be switched. Does anyone have a diagram that shows how to rewire the box?
Thanks,
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
John

Default Re: Diagram to make terminal box switchable

If you are concerned with the internal gauge lights, another way is to connect the gauge light into the taillight light circuit, not the stop light circuit. That way it will come on whenever you turn the lights on. I also hook my dash light into this circuit. No extra switch or wiring changes needed.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:31 PM   #3
Ayers1

I have the light worked out. The gauge that I have is electronic and runs off the original 6v positive ground. It does have to be switched on and off. Right now I have it on a separate switch but would like it to run "automatically " when I turn the key on.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:39 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

What I think you are asking is to make your gauge turn on with the ignition switch? If so you need to move the ignition switch before the coil instead of after so you are not interrupting the ignition system.

I had to wire it that way so my tach is switchable with the switch. My car is 12v negative ground but the concept is the same. I will post a picture in a moment when I find it...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-01-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
Ayers1

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

I hope this helps you. Obviously it will not work if you have a Pop Out Switch. Substitute your gage where my tach is..

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-02-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:54 PM   #7
Ayers1

I'll check it out and see. Thanks for posting!
Old 08-02-2023, 12:49 AM   #8
TomInCologne

Y-Blockhead:

why will your wiring diagram not work with a pop-out switch?
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:40 AM   #9
Ayers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
Y-Blockhead:

If you look at the diagram you will see that the place where the armored cable connects changes. In a pop out switch you can't disconnect the cable from the switch.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:51 AM   #10
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers1 View Post
If you look at the diagram you will see that the place where the armored cable connects changes. In a pop out switch you can't disconnect the cable from the switch.

Hm, i seem to remember that the armored part went in the area behind the pop-out switch and the cable inside was connected to the switch with a screw. Is that not original?

i would provide a photograph but i hate taking that part of the dash panel off...
Old 08-02-2023, 08:32 AM   #11
Ayers1

On the pop out switch there is 1 terminal with a screw on the case of the switch. It then runs out the armored cable to the distributor. On an aftermarket switch there are 2 terminals with screws on the case of the switch. One of these terminals connects to the cable going to the distributor. According to the diagram above, the connection from the switch has to be moved. I've never had a pop out switch apart so I'm not sure if the cable can be removed and rewired like the diagram shows.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Y-Blockhead:

Haha, You can make anything "work" if you try hard enough. I suppose you could make a Pop-out work but you would have to move the cable and it would no longer work as the theft preventative it was designed for.

Sorry if I confused anyone with the term "Armored Cable". I am refering to the armored cable that is used with a aftermarket switch. The schematic was originally intended for my eyes only...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 6.59.56 AM.jpg (6.2 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-02-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:02 AM   #13
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Haha, You can make anything "work" if you try hard enough. I suppose you could make a Pop-out work but you would have to move the cable and it would no longer work as the theft preventative it was designed for.

well, okay, i think that the theft-preventative of the armo(u)red cable is negligible in todays world... i am prepared to bypass that.

So, are there two screw connections on my pop-out switch or not? I have not taken a photograph, stupid as i am...
Old 08-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
well, okay, i think that the theft-preventative of the armo(u)red cable is negligible in todays world... i am prepared to bypass that.

So, are there two screw connections on my pop-out switch or not? I have not taken a photograph, stupid as i am...
It has been a long time since I have dealt with a Pop-out, but there must be two terminals, the red wire in and the armored cable out to the distributor. (see top picture of post #6). I can't recall how the Armored cable is attacted in the Pop-out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 7.15.47 AM.jpg (14.8 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-02-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #15
Ayers1

Y-Blockhead you were quicker than me. I was getting ready to upload a pic of a pop out.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #16
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
It has been a long time since I have dealt with a Pop-out, but there must be two terminals, the red wire in and the armored cable out to the distributor. (see top picture of post #6). I can't recall how the Armored cable is attacted in the Pop-out.

Thanks, that's how i remember it.
I shortened the armoured part and i am pretty sure there is a screwed connection for the cable in there. I will check this next time i have to do the dreaded 'take the dash off' job...
Old 08-02-2023, 10:13 AM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Just a reminder, my car is 12v Negative ground. If you car is Positive ground you need to switch the terminals on the coil (in my picture) so + is toward the distributor.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:07 AM   #18
rotorwrench

The model A doesn't have a lot of room inside the panel. The pop out is the ground circuit between the coil and the breaker points. It's not made to be anything other than that. If it is replaced with a standard type key switch then it has to be converted to the power side of the coil. A power in wire will have to be installed as well as a power out wire to the oil. Any other power out wires to accessories will also have to be installed. The amp meter already has a power wire for the dash light so there isn't a lot of room left for other wires on it. The terminals are a bit short.

Having wired up a few of these old cars, I can attest to how little space there is left over in the terminal box. Some wiring may have to bypass the terminal box. With more power wires installed a person may have to consider in line fuses for each accessory.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-02-2023 at 11:13 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The model A doesn't have a lot of room inside the panel. The pop out is the ground circuit between the coil and the breaker points. It's not made to be anything other than that. If it is replaced with a standard type key switch then it has to be converted to the power side of the coil. A power in wire will have to be installed as well as a power out wire to the oil. Any other power out wires to accessories will also have to be installed. The amp meter already has a power wire for the dash light so there isn't a lot of room left for other wires on it. The terminals are a bit short.

Having wired up a few of these old cars, I can attest to how little space there is left over in the terminal box. Some wiring may have to bypass the terminal box. With more power wires installed a person may have to consider in line fuses for each accessory.
I agree with everything you say except that an accessory switch "has to be wired to the power side of the coil" Many accessory switches are wired in place of the Pop-out downstream of the coil.

IMO tho it is better to wiring the switch before the coil. This way the wire going to the coil is not always HOT..

All that said, I do have a fuse block for all circiuts in my car. It is hidden up under the tank and uses the bottom two junction box bolts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuse Box.jpg (45.6 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-02-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:22 PM   #20
rotorwrench

This is true but it couldn't be used to provide power to power circuits such as the OP was interested in. Wiring it as a ground path would add extra wiring in an already crowded area.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote