Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2023, 06:31 PM   #1
Banditorama

Default Oval Speedometer Drive Gear, Where to Find?

I re-stickered, cleaned, and lubricated my oval speedo. The problem is where the cable hooks in is rounded out and it doesn't work in the car. It's fine on the bench when operated with a drill

I cannot find this part, Google keeps showing me parts for the transmission side of the system. Anyone got a part number or "official" name?
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:10 PM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Oval Speedometer Drive Gear, Where to Find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
I re-stickered, cleaned, and lubricated my oval speedo. The problem is where the cable hooks in is rounded out and it doesn't work in the car. It's fine on the bench when operated with a drill

I cannot find this part, Google keeps showing me parts for the transmission side of the system. Anyone got a part number or "official" name?
Try getting in touch with Leonard Nichols (Papanick on this forum), he repairs speedos and may be able to help you.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330642

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 09-15-2023 at 11:15 AM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:57 AM   #3
stevemclark

Is this what you need?More parts here. .https://www.mikes-afordable.com/category/1106.html.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:20 AM   #4
wrndln

Be sure to get the correct gear to match your rearend or you displayed speed will be off. Ford made several gears for various rearend gear ratios.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
Benson

Leonard Nichols in NY does speedos. ([email protected])

Leonard Nettles In Cal ? builds Burtz engines and manufactures accessory parts for Burtz engines and other items.

Last edited by Benson; 09-15-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:16 AM   #6
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Leonard Nichols in NY does speedos. ([email protected])

Leonard Nettles In Cal ? builds Burtz engines and manufactures accessory parts for Burtz engines and other items.
Thanks, Benson. I had both in my address book and obvious brain-flatus set in. I corrected my initial post.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:50 PM   #7
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemclark View Post
Is this what you need?More parts here. .https://www.mikes-afordable.com/category/1106.html.
No, that's the part that keeps coming up. I'm looking for the part that screws into the speedometer itself and is driven by the cable
Old 09-15-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
stevemclark

You are talking about the back of the speedometer, as far as I know it it not available.A re-builder may be able to fix it from an original one that has that part on it still good.You might try E-Bay to find a good part.Good luck.Most every part can be found somewhere,you have to find it.Someone here may have it for you yet.I had one rebuilt and it sticks and reads way to slow.I am looking for another one.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
rotorwrench

It takes a special tool to remove the input from the die cast housing of the speedo. They were staked in place on the Stewart Warner types that I'm familiar with. The pot metal can swell as it oxidizes. This will make for problems trying to rotate the magnet shaft and can cause cable drive problems. Make sure it still rotates easily or it may need work on the housing. This requires more special tools.

A person may be able to use a hard type of epoxy to build the square type drive back to size.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
gary678*

I have a 1930 Model A Cabriolet with a T-5 Transmission. When I purchased it in 2017 it did not have a working speedometer because of a faulty cable. Upon someone else's recommendation I contacted Eddie Pruette of Valley Machine Shop in Bakersfield, California and he provided me with the correct cable which resolved the problem and the speedometer and odometer are spot-on. Although your issue is different than mine I know that he machines many specialty parts for Model A's; the results are top notch. I believe that he may have changed his company's name and address; perhaps a California Model A Club could provide current contact info. He is definitely worth contacting! The last contact info (2020) that I have for him is: Eddie Pruette, Valley Machine Shop, 7317 Norris Road, Bakersfield, CA 93308 Phone (661) 589-9529 www.valleymachineshop.com/model-a-parts.html I hope that this helps; good luck!
Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:20 AM   #11
Banditorama

Just an update:

I talked with Leonard (papanick) and he didn't have the part, but he did inadvertently lead me to the issue. I thought that part was wallered out because it appeared round when I was going through it and it wasn't working when I re-installed it. He mentioned checking to make sure I had the correct speedo cable in there.

I unscrewed the speedo cable from the back of the trans yesterday morning to double check and I did have the correct cable. Just out of curiosity after that I hooked up the end of the cable to my drill and she worked!

I had unscrewed the cable to test if the speedo would work a while ago and I guess I either didn't have the key lined up in the housing or its possible there's an issue with the speedometer housing on the transmission side. Either way, that's fantastic news because those parts are readily available. On my next day off, I'll be figuring out exactly what is wrong

Thank you everyone for your help. You guys are awesome!!
Old 09-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #12
Bob C

I don't know if this is your problem but some years ago there was a problem with the cable not going far enough in to the speedometer. The fix was to add more shims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedo-cable.jpg (8.6 KB, 23 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote