Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
LuckyFordGuy

Default Re: How far do you drive your cars?

I getting little mor e trust worthey with the flatheads drove over 200 miles the oter day no problems love the old flatheads ROG MN.
LuckyFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #22
TomT/Williamsburg

I drive my 40 coupe all over - it's been to the Goodguys Rhinebeck, NY show many times, Long Island several more times, Florida, Myrtle Beach a few times, all over VA, and I just came back from a show in Winston Salem, NC. My avatar has also been to several places, Charlotte Goodguys for one, and I intend to drive it there again this October and many other places once the new engine is installed.

Just like you have said, set them up right with a few mods and they will run interstate speeds fine. I do take the side roads as much as possible, though - a good mix of both if you will. You rush around going places all week long that it's nice to have your flathead sing to you when cruising those country roads ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
My '38 has zigzagged through 19 states and a bit of Canada driving to EFV8 National Meets. Always take the backroads, enjoy the appreciation of folks at the stops you make! Of all the miles driven, only one major breakdown. Broken axle on the Oklahoma-Kansas border in the heat of August. V8ers are everywhere, so the old Ford was back on the road inside 36 hours with a new set of axles and spider cannibalized from a '39.

My trips are nothin' when you think about 9 States in less than 9 days in '32 Roadster. Check out this website for the wild details!

http://www.49in7.com/
I read this and thought, "What's the big deal about 9 states in 9 days ? Then I looked at the Website.
WOW !! that is 49 (forty-nine) states in 9 days ! Not me !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #24
ford38v8

Mike, my bad. I missed that goof 'cause my spell checker missed it. Damn spell checker don't know jack.

I talked with this guy at the Palo Alto Concours. Unbelievable trip he made! He worked on his route on the internet like, forever, and installed a tracking device so the sponsors could verify he and his Ford were actually where he claimed when he claimed it. Sure wish he'd a had a flat motor in that Deuce!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Hotrodladycrusr

There's no trip that I consider too long. Many 6,000-7,000 mile trips over the last 10 summers. I turned 117,000 miles last Sunday on the way back home from a weekend spent in northern Michigan. I've driven Big Olds in 45 of the 48 continental US states. Just have Maine, Georgia and Florida left to do. I'm taking a trip in Sept to the New England states specificly to hit Maine. If I have vacation time left in November I will head to Dayonta Beach, FL for the Turkey Rod Run which will put both GA and FL in the catagory of States hit in Big Olds.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #26
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodladycrusr View Post
There's no trip that I consider too long. Many 6,000-7,000 mile trips over the last 10 summers. I turned 117,000 miles last Sunday on the way back home from a weekend spent in northern Michigan. I've driven Big Olds in 45 of the 48 continental US states. Just have Maine, Georgia and Florida left to do. I'm taking a trip in Sept to the New England states specificly to hit Maine. If I have vacation time left in November I will head to Dayonta Beach, FL for the Turkey Rod Run which will put both GA and FL in the catagory of States hit in Big Olds.
That is impressive!! I hope to someday hit all the continental US states in my 37' I hope everything works out for you so you can hit the last three states on your list.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #27
Steves46

I like to drive my stock 55 F100 to work (60 mile round trip) at least twice a week. The guys at the Air Force Base get a real kick seeing the truck cruising the streets. Additionally, Vic Piano and I took the truck to last year's Moonshine Festival and she didn't miss a beat. I also try to drive my 46 Coupe as much as possible-so far, the flathead has been doing great in the heat and slow moving traffic.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #28
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodladycrusr View Post
Looking forward to seeing you in Daytona. Vic
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #29
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

In the past 15 years I have driven my 51' to all the western states multiple times on tour with many other early V/8 Fords. most of the trips were 12 to 15 days & the longest was 4,000 miles. the longest miles driven in one day as a single car ( no other early Fords along ) was 750 miles, next was 650 & many 500 mile days. I prefer not to do the long days but thats just the way it worked out. we always try to take the back roads when possible & drive less then 275 miles per day.
People seem to be amazed that you can drive your old car on vacations & I tell them thats what people used to do. extreme heat, rain, snow & wind. yes,my wife loves the trips also.

Drive them, it's fun....
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #30
Tim

All the way to the scene of the breakdown. But seriously all my old Fords have been driven with joy and a looong distance. Usually with minimal troubles. If you don't drive it you'll never know what needs to be fixed.

Enjoy the Road,

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #31
Jack 34pu

Nobody has mentioned this - my butt will go about 50 miles before I need to walk around a bit. Sooo, it is not the 34pu that is the limiting factor on trips! You guys driving cars have it much better.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #32
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Looking forward to seeing you in Daytona. Vic
If I make it down I'll stop and visit before the run starts. I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 34pu View Post
Nobody has mentioned this - my butt will go about 50 miles before I need to walk around a bit. .
I've got my body, ie bladder, "trained" to go 200 miles before I need to stop which is just about a tankfull of fuel and I realize the quality of my bench seat and the position I mounted it in allows me to do this.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #33
ford38v8

I'm still amazed at how comfy my '38 seat is compared to virtually any other car seat I've ever sat on. I can drive for hours on end and climb out as refreshed as if I'd just driven to the grocery.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #34
Ray With

Makes you wonder where they have been when ask "How far can your go in that thing"? Flattys have been millions of miles long before OH motors were on the market. Its like we were all handicap during that time. I wouldn't even guess how many miles I have been in my flatty bit its a bunch of miles for sure. My 52 had been around the clock 3 times so go figure and no break downs.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #35
c-gor

Usually drive to most Early Ford V-8 Meets.

Longest drive was from Northern Ohio to Hood River OR. About 6000 mile trip that included stops in Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming. Virtually trouble free.

Driving is a fun thing.

To quote a buddy of mine..."If you see my car on a trailer, it's stolen"
c-gor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #36
Byron Warwick

I like driving my truck. It is not all that comfortable though. Pretty noisy at 50 to 60 mph. Need the front window open and the "Skirt Lifter' at least cracked. Auburn will be the longest one day trip since Merlot's retoration in 2009. I'll try the freeway, but will get off soon if I don't get any respect. Found a small trunk, so now we can store a few things while travelling, instead of having everything in plastic bags. We have driven about 2000 mile each of the last 2 years, Byron. PS: grandson reflected in the tailgate is resting at the last car show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 8,2011 003.jpg (104.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Byron Warwick; 07-22-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Grandson reflected in the tailgate having at rest at the car show!
Byron Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #37
ford38v8

Byron, Skirt Lifters are great as long as you remember to close your eyes when you first open them up!

If you're set on taking the freeway, I hope you mean 69 rather than 94?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #38
Russ/40

I drive my Forty as my daily driver every day, rain or shine, year round. I have taken it on trips of 1000 miles or so. It has never let me down. I run a Pertronix ignition @6volts and otherwise it is 100% Stock. I've been driving it since 1981 and have been running the same master cylinder in it since then with DOT5.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #39
OhioRick

Just came back from a 450 mile trip with temps in the 90's and humidity in the 80's. Running flatties in both and need earplugs in the pickup!

OhioRick is online now   Reply With Quote