Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Question Old wives tail about tires, true or not?

I have read online ( not always always the best source ) that a liberal application of antifreeze to old tires ( off the car allowing several days ) gives them new life by allowing the glycol to make the surface matrix structure pores allowing the rubber to absorb the lubricating property of the antifreeze rejuvenating the tires. Preventing the surface of the tires to propagate cracking.
Sounds like maybe just does the same thing as any surface dressing application?

Have also read online that five to seven years is the max safe age to use a tire? Seems like maybe the Mfgr's pushing that to get us to buy lots of new tires.

Opinions?
Old 12-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Old wives tail about tires, true or not?

Wait til you've scattered a couple of 10-15 year old tires at 70+ mph. And, yes I have. It's all at once, and took out some of the body work around the wheel well. Both times.
Very dangerous- thank goodness I was going in a straight line.

I also ride motorcycles. Old tires get stiff, hard. Traction may become a problem.

A surface application of anything is not going to help the structural integrity of the casing.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
WestCoast

an old tire that is cracking is at its end of its usable life, its not so much the rubber is cracking its the cord inside the rubber is also breaking up, never take a chance on an old tire, once rubber is dried out its dead, the inter net is wonderful, but not to trust worthy
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Deucedreamer32

5-7 years is usually the maximum for a tire. Normal car tires driven daily will wear out long before then. The 5-7 year time period usually shows up in RV's mostly and our cars as well. I have a set of radial white walls on my car that are about 10 years old now and are showing signs of cracking. I need to replace them and I'm planning to do that in the spring.
Deucedreamer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
waterboychuck

I've had more then one blowout with old tires. I change them every 7-8 years. They rot from the inside.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I have read online ( not always always the best source ) that a liberal application of antifreeze to old tires ( off the car allowing several days ) gives them new life by allowing the glycol to make the surface matrix structure pores allowing the rubber to absorb the lubricating property of the antifreeze rejuvenating the tires. Preventing the surface of the tires to propagate cracking.
Sounds like maybe just does the same thing as any surface dressing application?

Have also read online that five to seven years is the max safe age to use a tire? Seems like maybe the Mfgr's pushing that to get us to buy lots of new tires.

Opinions?
Some manufacturers (such as Continental) say 10 years on their websites. I wouldn't put much stock on what unknown websites say; often all you get is ignorant personal opinion and urban legends!
On using antifreeze on tires, does antifreeze have any "lubricating properties"? Just a small amount in your crankcase will kill your bearings in a hurry! Why even use antifreeze when there are products made for treating tires?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
texas webb

Sweet antifreeze gets rid of coons
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas webb View Post
Sweet antifreeze gets rid of coons
And, unfortunately, pet dogs. Be careful.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
Pete

Anti freeze will soften the rubber to some extent but it is just the surface. The softened surface will wear away quickly.
Common bleach will work better. It will penetrate better but not enough to be effective for long.
Bleach was outlawed as a burnout medium at the drags many years ago. It was very effective for that.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
37 Cab

I understand black shoe polish works as well.. Ever see the movie.. The Worlds Fastest Indian??
Old 12-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
flatford8

Makes me think of somebody putting on alot of make-up.... Ya the outside looks good but, the inside is still ugly and dangerous..... MARK
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #12
RalphG

I've used old anti freeze as a tire lube when installing tires and it works ok for that. Can't comment on any other uses.
I tend to get a lot more years out of my tires than I see most do here. My vehicles spend all their time indoors when I'm not driving them so they don't get sun damage. It is rare to see cracks in a tire here. I just installed a set of well used (1997) Michelins on the back of my 52 Merc and they are fine for just getting around the back roads but I wouldn't drive too far or too fast on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSfwls3nto4
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
AnthonyG

Good conversation, pretty much thought it was BS when I read it which seems to be the prevailing opinion.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
Mike51Merc

I'm not much of a believer in "home remedies" especially for things like tires. I also believe that tire rubber compounds have changed a lot over the years. Something that may have worked decades ago may be useless today. Why risk it just to save a few bucks?
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Kurt in NJ

When we bought a 46 big truck it had 6 bald original tires, not much cracking in the sidewalls, went to the local tire place and the owner came out to look, one look at the tires and he said--nylon cord, you get full credit for the casings, someone else got 35 year old recapped tires
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
When we bought a 46 big truck it had 6 bald original tires, not much cracking in the sidewalls, went to the local tire place and the owner came out to look, one look at the tires and he said--nylon cord, you get full credit for the casings, someone else got 35 year old recapped tires
Both compounds and construction have changed a lot. I've seen radials blow out bands bubble and warp just sitting in a garage. I know of two cases of brand new cars (a high-end Mustang and a Corvette) that had to get new tires because of cracks before delivery to the buyers.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #17
34pickup

My old wife had a lot of wives tales but she didn't have a "wives tail". That would be gross.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

There was a resent post on NZ tyres .Before the moulds were sent to the US of A the vintage Firestone tyres were made here ,I run these tyres now 25 years ,still in good shape , ,Don't spay any silicone based products any were near your white walls ,they will crack .Every thing now has a built in obsolescent specialty Chinese stuff .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #19
mercman from oz

I fitted these 17" Firestone Tyres that were made in New Zealand back in 1979. Last year, I drove 500 miles sitting at 55 MPH. They still look like new, and don't show any signs of cracks etc. The only problems that I have had is with the Tubes, as they start leaking around the Valve. I have had to replace 3 Tubes. As for cleaning, I use a kitchen cleaner with a small Nail Brush.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
32BBflathead

When I got my '93 it had old tires on it that were dry rotted, they still had plenty of tread though. The front passenger side tire blew out while just sitting under the carport. It split straight across the tread, from one side of the tire to the other. Old tires are fine on tractors and things sometimes but I wouldn't trust my life to one doing anything over 15 mph.
32BBflathead is offline   Reply With Quote