Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
Tom Smith

Default Stipe Oil pumps

Looking for detailed information for hot and cold pressures and at what RPM's. Also is Bill still in business, I see the web site does not work.
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Stipe Oil pumps

I cannot answer whether Bill is still in business but I can shed some light on the output pressure. The engine I removed from my car had insert bearings and pressure lubrication to all 3 main bearings. The rods were dippers. The oil pressure with the Stripe oil pump was 50 psi and did not change much with RPM. The engine had a full flow oil filter. The pressure relief spring was stock.

When I built my Burtz engine I put in a lower force spring for the pressure relief. The pump now puts out about 25 psi and is not too much effected by rpm or oil temperature. I use a multi grade oil and transferred the full flow oil filter to the new engine. If you are going to use an external pressure relief valve that you can adjust, use the stock spring. Otherwise use a lighter weight spring. You may have to stretch the spring to get the pressure you want. You can rig a test with a drill motor, a bucket of oil, and a pressure gauge to set the spring.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
Tom Smith

Thank you for your reply. I will be working on two Burtz motors and was options for Oil Pumps and to what pressures I can get. looks like you were able to get a comfortable pressure with Bill's Pump. I'm looking for possible other alternatives also to make a decision, also not knowing if Stipe pumps are available. I'm surprised that know one has wrote in on the status of Bill.
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:48 AM   #4
Benson

I just called Stipe after trying different old numbers on various websites.

Many websites never get updated because there are just too many of them to find and correct.

They are having phone problems on line 1 of their phone.

Good number today is 1-920-467-9700

She said that they just finished a run of oil pumps.

I got this email also [email protected]

Last edited by Benson; 01-03-2023 at 02:58 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #5
denniskliesen

If my foundry ever gets on the stick, I’ll have the oil filter/relief valve housing available. It has an external adjustable relief valve so you can set your pressure to the desired amount. My housing has been tested and works perfect for 10 months now. Made specifically for the Burtz block returns oil to the galley without modifications to the block.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:25 AM   #6
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
Thank you for your reply. I will be working on two Burtz motors and was options for Oil Pumps and to what pressures I can get. looks like you were able to get a comfortable pressure with Bill's Pump. I'm looking for possible other alternatives also to make a decision, also not knowing if Stipe pumps are available. I'm surprised that know one has wrote in on the status of Bill.

The "Old Rule of Thumb" is that you should have 10 PSI oil pressure for every 1000 RPM.

The new engine will survive with even less pressure. Before production, we ran the "engineering evaluation" engine with 10W-30 oil at 3100 RPM (75 MPH without overdrive) for 6 hours and only had 4 PSI at the main oil galley. The oil temperature during the test was 260 degrees F. We used a modified Model A oil pump and upon teardown, it was discovered that we failed to install a 3/8-16 UNC setscrew, and the main oil galley was vented through a 5/16 inch diameter hole. If the missing set screw were in place, the oil pressure would have been the pressure determined by the relief valve.

There are many oil pumps available for the new engine and I believe any of them will work.

High-volume oil pumps can deliver a consistent pressure over the RPM range, but they waste energy because much of the volume delivered goes out the relief valve. Low-volume oil pumps may not deliver 20 PSI at idle if that is what you want to see.

The following is a list of oil pumps being used in the "New Engine".
Modified Model A
Bill Stipe (1-920-467-9700)
Leonard Nettles (dadsvintageautoparts.com)
Dan Price (dan4banger.com)
Timmy McMaster (Hanford Auto Parts)
Joe Sivils (Turlock Machine)

People using the above oil pumps regularly post their experiences on https://www.facebook.com/groups/1123377268114692

If you want instructions on how to modify a Model A oil pump, please contact me at [email protected]
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote