Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
GaryU.

Default Raised deck flathead/239 c.i./Mercury?

Was looking on Craigslist Sunday evening when I spotted an ad that said those magic words Ford flathead and even better- FREE!! It took just a few seconds to make the call and I now own this raised deck flatty that was pulled from a 1940 2 door sedan a few days prior. That car is another great story and the owner is a new Barn member so hopefully he'll post something about his new car. Anyway I have looked at previous threads about the raised deck engines from 1941-42 and am wondering if this engine started out as a 221 c.i. engine with sleeves that were pulled and it was bored out to its present size or if it was always a 239. The center water passages made me think that was the the case as well as a rebuild tag listing bore as standard. Any thoughts appreciated and even though it is stuck it appears a viable block so far. Thanks,Gary

GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Raised deck flathead/239 c.i./Mercury?

I have found some vague reference (by Ford) to the introduction of a new block in the 1940 production. So the raised deck MAY have started during the 40 production??? If you clean the top of the block look for stampings such as "SL" this would indicate the sleeves were inserted at Ford before the block went into a vehicle. The sleeves used were 0.040" wall thickness. There was a recess machined at the top of the cylinder to accept a flange at the top of the sleeve so the sleeve could not move after engine assembly. It was not uncommon for Ford to use the sleeves in one or two cylinders even during 1939. Of course the sleeves could have been inserted by the rebuilder but I would doubt the rebuilder would have stamped the top of the block.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #3
rotorwrench

The center coolant port in the deck tells the story. The 99A & later 239 types have a round port in the center. It was pretty easy to remove tin can sleeves and bore the thing to 3 3/16" which is a stock bore size for the 239 but not the 221.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
RobR'35

Interesting... I live near Escanaba.
Great find GaryU.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I have found some vague reference (by Ford) to the introduction of a new block in the 1940 production. So the raised deck MAY have started during the 40 production??? If you clean the top of the block look for stampings such as "SL" this would indicate the sleeves were inserted at Ford before the block went into a vehicle. The sleeves used were 0.040" wall thickness. There was a recess machined at the top of the cylinder to accept a flange at the top of the sleeve so the sleeve could not move after engine assembly. It was not uncommon for Ford to use the sleeves in one or two cylinders even during 1939. Of course the sleeves could have been inserted by the rebuilder but I would doubt the rebuilder would have stamped the top of the block.
Raised decks were released around August, 1940. Too late to have been installed in to '40 production.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
GaryU.

Will look for SL markings tonight. Sorry I didn't post a better picture of center water passages,they indicate Ford,center outlet is not round. Remember a previous thread about raised decks and Ol'Ron's post about removing sleeves and boring to achieve 239 c.i. So that is probably what happened in this case.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Look closely at top edges of your bores...I think a see a step at top, which should prove to be a machined notch when you clean it. That step is normally left after a 221 tin can is rebored to 239, as it is the locator that accepts the retaining ridge at top of the sleeve.
Motor is already noted as a former 221 by the water passages, the step shows it was a tin can...which is kind or irrelevant, since either type of '41 221 can generally go to 239 and probably have enough meat for a rebuild or two.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:04 AM   #8
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
Will look for SL markings tonight. Sorry I didn't post a better picture of center water passages,they indicate Ford,center outlet is not round. Remember a previous thread about raised decks and Ol'Ron's post about removing sleeves and boring to achieve 239 c.i. So that is probably what happened in this case.
No probably about it, it is a 221 Ford block that's been bored to 239.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
Bluebell

It is not a "raised" deck. Henry lowered the rest of the top face leaving the manifold face to appear raised.

Edit: Sorry Gary, I didn't mean to say that with a bad tone. I will try harder next time.
Regards,
Lynn.

Last edited by Bluebell; 05-21-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote