Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
mrraford

Default Fender braces on a 68C

Ok, let's stay on topic here guys.
The time has come to mock-up the rear fenders on my 68C. Remember the 68C has a completely wooden subrail system. The new wood has many predrilled holes but it does not have holes drilled for the rear fender brace or the back bolt hole in the fender. Only the hole for the fender is predrilled in the metal but not through the wood.

The question here is: Were the fender braces held to the wood with a screw fitted through the metal and into the wood or were there bolt holes that should go all the way through the wood? The suppliers do not
Any 68C authorities want to wade in here? How about Vicky or A400 folk?
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
figment

Default Re: Fender braces on a 68C

I believe the fender braces are installed the same as a 68B. The hex head bolts go all the way through the wood sill. It is hard to find the correct plain head bolts that are the correct length. PM me and I'll give you some ideas. Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

They are bolts that go through the wood.
Looks like 7/16 head, but I am not sure, there are 2 bolts per side with washer, lock washer, nut to the inside.
Need to find the right notebook. If I do I will add info.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
mrraford

Thanks for the replies on this inquiry.
I was able to conjure the process of installing the fender braces on this one over the weekend.
On the wood subrail systems, the fender brackets integrate with the holes in the Rear Body Cross member. The rear hole in the crossmember corresponds with the hole in the body and the rear hole in the fender. Drilled out that hole, fit a bolt to hold the crossmember to the subrail and you have a bolt to hold the fender.
The front hole in the crossmember corresponds with the rear hole in the fender bracket. installed here, the bend of the brace just clears the bolt in the crossmember. Drilling the front hole for the bracket (make sure you get it level) gives you a bracket install that lines up with the fender and fits the bill for this part of the mock-up.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote