Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
OL JENNY

Default Smaller Oil Filters?

When the full flow valve cover oil filter kits are again available I plan on replacing my timing gear partial flow filter. I have purchased the 90 degree adapter and have seen some posts about filters that are not the 0.88 quart capacity, but some are 0.6 and 0.4 quart capacity. Does anybody have a particular smaller capacity filter that they prefer? I have seen Fram PH7328, Fram PH3614, and Fram PH3600 mentioned as smaller filters that would work.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Smaller Oil Filters?

Hi OL,

FWIW:

Maybe just one (1) oil filter experience, but:

1. First, had a large "Ford" filter mounted "horizontally" on my full flow type filter set up located on the valve chamber cover.

2. On the first oil change, installed a different adapter to have a "vertically" mounted filter .................... but, in addition, with this new "vertically" mounted filter arrangement, I installed a much smaller "Fram" filter, of the "Micro-Type".

3. Immediately noticed quite a very large difference on my oil pump gauge in that with this different filter & "vertical" set up described in above paragraph 2., the oil pressure gauge needle still gets buried all the way to the right for quite a long time, (that is until normal engine operating temperature is reached), then the needle very slowly moves left & back to normal low pressure after engine warm up.

4. Appears this may be happening because the "smaller" diameter & length "Fram" filter interior cartridge has much denser fiber, thus not allowing cool oil to flow through it as freely and as rapidly as that of the larger "Ford" "non-micro" filter.

5. On the next oil change, for an experiment, I'll try reverting back to the much larger "Ford" "non-micro" filter, (& possibly a smaller "non-micro" filter), installed in the present "horizontal" position, to observe if any changes occur in how long it takes for this high pressure reading to return to normal low pressure.

6. Appears just natural that a smaller size interior oil filter cartridge would allow less oil to flow just like a smaller size air filter would greatly reduce air flow.

7. Nothing like experience in trying & monitoring different things -- hope this helps in experiencing different types & sizes of oil filters.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-21-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
OL JENNY

Thanks H.L.,
Nothing like experience. I do not want to shoot myself in the foot trying to reduce the size of filter.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

i would say its best to stick with a larger one, theres a reason V6 and V8 cars dont use filters made for 4cyl engines.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Ron in Quincy

I replaced my large valve cover mounted filter with a NAPA Gold 1068; have driven approximately 1500 miles with this type filter and have had no problems. My engine is a touring engine with insert main and rod bearings, lightened fly wheel, V8 pressure plate, and Snyder 5.5 head.

By the way, this NAPA filter is painted Black and looks quite nice on the engine. I did not use the vertical mounded adapter that is available.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
steve s

It's too cold to go look, but blowing up this photo indicates I've been using NAPA Gold 1288--on an adapter. No problems so far, but not having an oil pressure gauge I may be in blissful ignorance.

Whatever, there's plenty of other issues to be tsk-tsk'd about under my hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0385.jpg (80.3 KB, 118 views)
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for info about 1,500 miles -- indicates it is working OK.

I only have 498 miles after partial rebuild, (new pistons, rings & valves), as of today & I will try to go back to a larger filter.

Because my gauge is connected as recommended below the filter on the side & above the pump, it appears that initially this displacement pump is trying hard to pump this "cooler" higher viscosity oil "through" this smaller filter.

Have been cautious to let engine idle prior to "take off", (not exactly a Model A term), but sounds good.

Would be interesting to be able to see inside the valve cover immediately after start-ups, to witness if the valve chamber reservoir has enough oil to provide gravity flow to the now spinning journals in the mains.

Someone may have more information.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
OL JENNY

In checking the filters mentioned above, it appears the NAPA 1068 has a By-Pass pressure of 8-11, and the NAPA 1288 has a By-Pass pressure of 30. I don't know what the Model A pressure of cold heavy oil would be trying to get through a full flow filter, but would it be better to have a filter with the by-pass kicking in at 8-11? I guess the small amount of oil to pre fill a full size filter at oil change is minimal, I was just looking for a smaller filter for cosmetic reasons. I currently paint my filters engine green, and they tend to disappear.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ol,

FWIW, think my Rex-A-Co oil pressure gauge's 0 psi is at about a clock's 10 o'clock position; then the high 10 psi number is at about 2 o'clock; but the needle goes to about 4-5 o'clock which may mean 15 psi at 4-5 o'clock; however, the needle stays buried there for at least 10 minutes in about 40 degree weather.

I have no idea how high the oil pressure is going prior to engine oil warm up.

Very good point about having a By-Pass type oil filter with a By-Pass pressure as low as 8-11 psi.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #10
Allanw

A possibility with the filter/pressure changes above:

Filters all come with different pressure releif valve pressure ratings - changing filters can alter the releif pressure, so there is a possibility that it's not the size of the filter altering the oil pressure while cold, but the bigger filter maybe have a higher bypass closing pressure (assuming your gauge in AFTER the filter).

While the pressure is that high, your engine and oil are cold (regardless of coolant temperature) you aren't getting the same lubrication/protection as when the oil is at operating temps (and therefore viscosity). While the filter releif valve is open, it's doing very little filtering.

There are some filters that I've seen used on aircooled VW's, that have exploded from the high cold oil pressure! Many VW oil filter setups have no pressure releif at the pump, to the filter gets full pressure
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Simple diagram of benefits of a Bypass Filter vs. a Restricted Filter:

Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ol,

1. Per your very first question, in reviewing the diagram in reply #11 above, & in later researching a few oil filters, I just thought of something that one may or may not consider helpful concerning Model A owners "with" full flow oil filters attached to the side valve cover "without" having oil pressure gauges to monitor oil pressure & oil flow through said Model A oil filters.

2. After researching oil filters from just a few oil filter manufacturers, (most of which do "not" offer lots of "flow" information), very few list in their specifications:

a. The percent reduction in oil flow through their filters; i.e., oil pump PSI reduction per gallon of oil per minute, which appears to be determined by:

(1) The overall "size" of the filter & the size of the pleated filter element material within; &,

(2) The "type" & "density" of their pleated filtering element material within, thus determining the amounts of restriction caused by the different types of oil filters offered.

b. The PSI rating for their "By Pass"; i.e., at what oil pump PSI pressure does the By Pass "open" to allow unfiltered oil flow into the engine; or even if their filters do have a By Pass element.

3. As detailed in reply #2 above, not that an oil pressure gauge is mandatory to monitor oil pressure, however, an oil pressure gauge can indicate oil pressure PSI differences on cold starts & lengths of high oil pump PSI vs. oil pressure after one's Model A engine has reached operating temperature.

4. Also per reply #2 above, it appears that one could unknowingly install any small "unknown" & any "restricted" type oil filter, whereby without an oil pressure gauge, one would never know one's amount of oil flow for lengthy periods during cold start ups; hence, possibly reducing Model A type gravity oil flow to main bearings with possible increased wear damage caused during "cold" start ups.

5. Per reply #2 above, there was a tremendous increase in oil pressure gauge PSI for a very long period when using a much smaller Fram PH3614 as opposed to the much larger Motor-Craft filter offered by Model A vendors.

6. It may be a good idea to consider using larger Model A full flow oil filters, with By Pass elements, and/or filters recommended by the oil filter manufacture for maximum Model A oil flow for cold start ups.

7. Hope this helps some Model A owners in trying to determine a correctly sized & "full flow" rated Model A oil filter, especially for during very critical "cold" start-ups, in lieu of just picking up a very cheap small one off of any shelf.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-24-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Ole Don

FYI, on my Y block I have replaced the Motorcraft FL1A with the same brand FL400 S. It is much smaller, easier to fit between the tie rods and the steering, and has not changed the OP at all.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ole,

Sounds good!

Both Motorcraft filters may have a By Pass and a less restricted filter element within than that of the Fram "Extra Guard" PH3614.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-24-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
OL JENNY

H.L., it would be interesting to see what the NAPA 1068, which is a little smaller than a full size (it's 4.3"), but not the real small size, does on an oil pressure gauge since it has a listed 8-11 psi by-pass. I don't have an oil pressure gauge, but it might be wise to install one when I get the A-Fordable Filter. I hope these filters become available again soon, prior to the 2014 touring season.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ol,

It is amazing to research just a few of the vast amount of individual "entirely different opinions" & seemingly "guessing" at performance of today's oil filters.

Some guys tear them apart under other than scientific laboratory conditions & condemn some oil filters where others tear them apart & praise the same filter.

Reminds some of us of when filtered cigarettes came out -- "Are you smoking more & enjoying them less?"

Also when I asked some German soldier mechanics in 1980 why so many tiny Renaults were being driven around in West Germany ......... "Over 60 mpg", they responded ..... then I asked why not ship them to the U.S. ....... "Less than 20 mpg with U.S. pollution controls so they burn 10 gallons to travel 600 miles here in Europe vs. burning 30 gallons to travel 600 miles in the U.S.; & with 20 more gallons burned in the U.S., who is polluting the air?", they asked .......... I had no logical answer.