Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
ford31

Default the new model a ford alternator

any pros and cons on the new alternators for the model a,not the one that looks like the generator,one I saw looks more like GM,looks very nice
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
rscardina

Default Re: the new model a ford alternator

I recently installed the Powermaster alternator (6v pos ground) a purchased from Jegs. I love it. My battery stays much hotter than before. My generator was not a Model A generator. I'm not sure where it came from. It was on the car when I purchased it.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
P.S.

I have a Nu-Rex 6 volt positive ground alternator on one of the A's. It has about 10K miles on it and has been flawless and maintenance-free.

The best part is, if you want to change back to a stock generator, it is quick and easy since you don't have to modify anything to install the alternator.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Al 29Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I have a Nu-Rex 6 volt positive ground alternator on one of the A's. It has about 10K miles on it and has been flawless and maintenance-free.

The best part is, if you want to change back to a stock generator, it is quick and easy since you don't have to modify anything to install the alternator.
I agree. It's user and car friendly and easy to change.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

Whatever you buy, make sure the alternator is self starting. If not, you will be revving the heck out of your engine to get the alternator to charge. So be sure to ask the question, "Will the alternator self-start at idle without having to rev the engine?"
Old 01-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Whatever you buy, make sure the alternator is self starting. If not, you will be revving the heck out of your engine to get the alternator to charge. So be sure to ask the question, "Will the alternator self-start at idle without having to rev the engine?"
Haha, my first laugh of the day. I just start my car, drive it slowly while everything is warming up and by the time I get to the end of the block it is happily charging, trans and engine are warmed up and we're ready to go. There is no "Revving the heck out of your engine"...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

The GREAT thing about an alternator is that your battery is ALWAYS FULLY CHARGED! !
Bill W.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Why do you even need an alternator?

I know I keep rehashing this. The alternator is just a cash cow for the dealers.

The alternators can not really produce the power they say for the duration (go look it up about how the alt produce power and what size pulley you need, Google will tell all). All are installed with the belt not tight enough and the pulley too small to produce power properly.

The alternators are not as reliable.

The smaller pulley is more likely to fail the belt.

You can run direct replacement halogen bulbs with a generator just fine.

Keep in mind the generator on my brothers car was rebuilt by him when he was 15 years old. It has not been off the car for any repairs since 1970 when a temporary repair was done for the flung solder. He does not have a regulator and often has gotten more then 5 years on a battery, including battery's taken off the dead battery pile. He has been running halogen headlights for many years now so he can run 55 MPH at night. He is still running with the same belt from 1970.

So what is it that you need an alternator for because the generator can not do the job?

Do it right once and never worry again. Save lots of money too.

BTW, do a scan and see how many people have had problems with their alternators on this board.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
emf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Why do you even need an alternator?

I know I keep rehashing this. The alternator is just a cash cow for the dealers.

The alternators can not really produce the power they say for the duration (go look it up about how the alt produce power and what size pulley you need, Google will tell all). All are installed with the belt not tight enough and the pulley too small to produce power properly.

The alternators are not as reliable.

The smaller pulley is more likely to fail the belt.

You can run direct replacement halogen bulbs with a generator just fine.

Keep in mind the generator on my brothers car was rebuilt by him when he was 15 years old. It has not been off the car for any repairs since 1970 when a temporary repair was done for the flung solder. He does not have a regulator and often has gotten more then 5 years on a battery, including battery's taken off the dead battery pile. He has been running halogen headlights for many years now so he can run 55 MPH at night. He is still running with the same belt from 1970.

So what is it that you need an alternator for because the generator can not do the job?

Do it right once and never worry again. Save lots of money too.

BTW, do a scan and see how many people have had problems with their alternators on this board.
Not as reliable??!! Do you have any numbers to support that statement?
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

How come Modern Cars ALL run Alternators? Poor old generators just STRUGGLE to BARELY do the job. How come we don't still have the OLD CRANK TELEPHONES???? or OUTHOUSES??
Bill W.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
Tom K.

Installed a Nu Rex 6 volt positive ground alternator 4 years ago and it has been trouble free since the install . Just start and drive.
Tom K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
ford31

I have an alternator on my pickup its been on there for 10 years and just fine,what I'm thinking on is for my doodlebug and Ken Davis has a new not rebuilt Alternator set up, planning on buying, just wondering maybe others have bought,I bought his shocks quite awhile back and there just great.
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford31 View Post
I have an alternator on my pickup its been on there for 10 years and just fine,what I'm thinking on is for my doodlebug and Ken Davis has a new not rebuilt Alternator set up, planning on buying, just wondering maybe others have bought,I bought his shocks quite awhile back and there just great.
I have a 12v Ken Davis alternator on my car and it's performed flawlessly for years and countless miles. My brother has one as well. When the cars were 6v they also had his alternators on them (the same ones that were later converted to 12v).

& I can also attest to his Modern Shock kits.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
mhsprecher

I put a Powermaster alternator on my town sedan. Battery always has a good charge. Maybe not necessary, but with halogen bulbs, I thought it would help. I am no expert, but I notice an improvement. I held on with my old generator for a long time, but with a long trip in the planning, I thought it would be good to upgrade. After 6 months, no probs, yet!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

My 28 still runs it's original generator and has been totally trouble free for me, and it's kept my battery fully charged. Do what you want with your car, but an alternator isn't needed. I've never had to replace or rebuild a generator on my cars, but have had alternator burn out diodes. When I buy a car I like to restore the 5 ancillaries just as preventative maintenance.
That is:
Water pump
Carb
Distributor
Starter
Generator

With these 5 parts restored there is little chance of a roadside breakdown because of them. It's winter and most of us don't drive in the road salt season, so do one part each weekend, and in 5 weeks you'll have a more reliable car.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 01-22-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Willie Krash

I have an alternator shop but run a generator.
Maybe because its the least of my problems.....They just look wrong..
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Krash View Post
I have an alternator shop but run a generator.
Maybe because its the least of my problems.....They just look wrong..
Willie, That I totally agree with. When I bought my Town Sedan it was already converted to 12v and I would like to keep it 12v. I recently converted my starter to 12v by installing 12v field coils (The 6v REALLY spins the engine on 12v ).

Is there a way to convert the Stock Generator to 12v?? Have not noticed anything from the vendors (I don't suppose this would be too common.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Willie, That I totally agree with. When I bought my Town Sedan it was already converted to 12v and I would like to keep it 12v. I recently converted my starter to 12v by installing 12v field coils (The 6v REALLY spins the engine on 12v ).

Is there a way to convert the Stock Generator to 12v?? Have not noticed anything from the vendors (I don't suppose this would be too common.
Purdy Swoft wrote about using a stock 6 volt generator on a 12 volt system, MANY-MANY-MANY-MANY-TIMES!!! Do a search & you'll find it. That man knows his S**T & spent countless hours typing GOOD practical, proven, advice. It's an honor to have him as a friend. I "guess" he got tired of jackasses ARGUEING all the time & "hung it up" SAD LOSS!
A STOCK generator is capable of putting out up to 45 VOLTS! ( Not continuous, though.)
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 01-24-2016 at 12:55 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #19
dalton

Mike's sells 12 volt field coils http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A10000FC12.html I don't know what else would be needed, and a guy on the e bay sells rebuilt 12v generators.
dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton View Post
Mike's sells 12 volt field coils http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A10000FC12.html I don't know what else would be needed, and a guy on the e bay sells rebuilt 12v generators.
I did not see that. Guess I should look closer at the other Vendors... Thanks, I will check it out.

I don't like the looks of an alternator on my Model A but one advantage to having a common GM alternator is IF something happens out on the road, most any parts store should have one in stock. Don't think they carry Model A generators.