Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy

Default 56 Fairlane kick panel replacement

Putting in new carpet and found the kick panels are in pretty bad shape. They are made of 1/8" matting board or something. Does anyone know where I can buy this cardboard stuff in blue? Thank you
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 56 Fairlane kick panel replacement

Try SMS Auto Fabrics on Oregon. They have upholstery, may have the kick panels or know of some one if they do not.

Also try Lebaron-Bonney
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Concours Parts, Mac's (Ecklers) and probably several other restoration parts suppliers sell the kick panels pre-cut and ready to install and they offer two or three colors. It is just thick cardboard with a simulated crushed leather appearance pressed into the outer layer. If the panels get the least bit wet, they are ruined.
I made my own panels by getting cheap poster-board from the department store, cut out and glued pieces together, then took a sheet of the vinyl material that matches the door upholstery panels and cut it out and glued to the outer face of the home-made kickpanels. So far they seem to be holding up well and look pretty nice.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Babyboomerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Concours Parts, Mac's (Ecklers) and probably several other restoration parts suppliers sell the kick panels pre-cut and ready to install and they offer two or three colors. It is just thick cardboard with a simulated crushed leather appearance pressed into the outer layer. If the panels get the least bit wet, they are ruined.
I made my own panels by getting cheap poster-board from the department store, cut out and glued pieces together, then took a sheet of the vinyl material that matches the door upholstery panels and cut it out and glued to the outer face of the home-made kickpanels. So far they seem to be holding up well and look pretty nice.

This is pretty much what I had in mind to do also. But I checked my Mac's catalog and found the kick panels and color for my car so for the price I just ordered them.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Motorhead6

Go to an upholstery shop and buy plastic panel material. Using your old kick panel as a pattern, cut one out and paint the color you want. Many advantages to this: paint any color, won't ever warp, won't swell due to moisture, virtually indestructable. Also, I use these for door trim pads. One side has a finish so it looks really good when painted. If you want it finished in white, just use it without painting.

Last edited by Motorhead6; 01-10-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6 View Post
Go to an upholstery shop and buy plastic panel material.
That was the idea that I originally had for replacing the cardboard panels but the upholstery shops around here don't offer plastic board material and the hardware and home improvement stores that do have FRP panel only carry material that is too thick and would not be able to slide into the little channel that holds it in place. There is also a concern about making that bend under the dash if you wanted to try to use plastic or FRP. Would a thinner material make that bend without the necessity of heating it and possibly ruining the cutout sheet?
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
Motorhead6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
That was the idea that I originally had for replacing the cardboard panels but the upholstery shops around here don't offer plastic board material and the hardware and home improvement stores that do have FRP panel only carry material that is too thick and would not be able to slide into the little channel that holds it in place. There is also a concern about making that bend under the dash if you wanted to try to use plastic or FRP. Would a thinner material make that bend without the necessity of heating it and possibly ruining the cutout sheet?
I have done this many times without an issue installing them. I don't know about your shop, but it's easy to come by; you may have to ask them to order it. It comes in rolls and the only issue is that you have to play a heat gun on it while laying it flat on a floor to get it flat. Flattens out pretty easily. It doesn't really have to be all that flat, it just makes it easier to work with.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Babyboomerboy

I got my kick panels from Mac's and put them in. Got to say they look pretty good up next to the new carpet. FYI, the new panels are not as thick as the originals and were not bent to form curve of the inside of the car. However, when I got them in place they fit as well as the originals. Thanks for the posts about making my own panels. That was the plan to start with but for what I paid for the ones from Mac's, I probably would have had as much money in the homemade panels.