Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2023, 10:38 AM   #1
Ricosan

Default Brake adjustment

Hey Guys,
I’ve searched everywhere for information about adjusting these brakes. I can’t find anything that clearly shows the process.
Do I adjust from the top or the bottoms or both?
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8A52116D-05E9-4624-A467-3DF04ACACE67.jpg (82.2 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 6124AA75-ABD9-4624-8FDF-C7D02845E59F.jpg (84.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg C646ABFC-EDE6-4C07-8378-B115DE37DDFD.jpg (85.5 KB, 128 views)
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Brake adjustment

Normally from the bottom.

Sometimes the top stud is adjustable, but once set to suit the shoes would not be adjusted again. So assuming that is right, the adjustment is at the bottom.

What does your car use for a thrust washer at the kingpins?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:58 AM   #3
tubman

It looks like the thrust washer is just plain missing to me. There seems to be a corresponding "empty" area under the axle. That should be corrected!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
rich b

Looks like a Torrington needle thrust washer set-up on the bottom side of the axle.

Adjustment should be made to the top anchor pin during initial set-up and further adjustments made at the bottom as the shoes wear.

Last edited by rich b; 04-13-2023 at 02:07 PM. Reason: extra
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Ricosan

Tubman & Mart, Yea, I know there is something very wrong with the steering. Help me to understand your concerns with the thrust washer.
What do the thrust washers look like? What purpose do they serve? Will I have to disassemble the king pins to install the them?
Rich, thanks for the instructions.
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1A573D0-776F-4011-A8F9-581E2F0473D0.jpg (84.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 193995B4-7359-4207-B344-225FA188E08E.jpg (36.4 KB, 83 views)
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #6
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Looks like a Torrington needle thrust washer set-up on the bottom side of the axle...................
Everything that I've heard about Torrington bearings in this application has been negative (if that's even that's what they are).
Old 04-13-2023, 04:54 PM   #7
Flathead Fever

No self-energizing brakes from the 1960s and newer that I ever worked on at work had an adjustable top anchor, just the star wheel on the bottom. If this one was adjustable, I would think it would have a spot for a wrench to rotate the stud and hold it in place while you lock down the nut. Adjust it by turning the star wheel with a brake spoon or possibly a screwdriver until the drums locks up and then back it off until you don't hear the shoes dragging. Count the star teeth as you back it off and then try to make the opposite drum backed off the same number of teeth. You want the shoes to contact at the same time, so they stop straight. On brakes that are self-adjusting you need to push the self-adjusting arm back away from the star wheel to be able to backoff the adjustment. Those adjusters can rust up and become hard to turn. Every brake job, we took them apart, wire brushed the threads and put never seize or synthetic disc brake caliper slide grease on them. Especially the mountain vehicles up in the snow.

On a daily driver there should be a rubber plug over that adjuster hole to keep mud from getting inside your brakes.

You must use the king-pin set for the year of the spindles. If I remember correctly, those '32-'34 spindles and kingpins should have the bearing on top of the spindle. The later spindles have the bearing between the bottom of the axle and the spindle which makes more sense to me.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-13-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:52 PM   #8
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Tubman & Mart, Yea, I know there is something very wrong with the steering. Help me to understand your concerns with the thrust washer.
What do the thrust washers look like? What purpose do they serve? Will I have to disassemble the king pins to install the them?
Rich, thanks for the instructions.
Richard
The needle thrust bearings along with a flat "race" on the top and bottom go between the bottom of the axle and the lower boss on the spindle.

This replaces the stock bearing arrange which isn't compatible with Lincoln brakes.

When I looked at your post, I thought that was what you had installed. If you instead used a plain washer in that location; probably would not work as well.

I haven't heard of problems with the Torrington bearings we installed or from others.

@tubman What you have heard?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg needle thrust bearings (Medium).jpg (33.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 04:08 PM   #9
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
No self-energizing brakes from the 1960s and newer that I ever worked on at work had an adjustable top anchor, just the star wheel on the bottom. If this one was adjustable, I would think it would have a spot for a wrench to rotate the stud and hold it in place while you lock down the nut.

You must use the king-pin set for the year of the spindles. If I remember correctly, those '32-'34 spindles and kingpins should have the bearing on top of the spindle. The later spindles have the bearing between the bottom of the axle and the spindle which makes more sense to me.
The top anchor pins on earlier Bendix brakes, as well as these repo Lincolns, were adjustable in vertical location.

The hole for the pin is a slot and the anchor pin has flat sides to restrict rotation. If the nut is loosened the pin can move up and down. Originally the the shoes were centered via checking with feeler gage thru a slot in the drum.
Now-a-days the drums are no longer slotted and the centering is done by adjusting the shoes tightly with the star wheel with the anchor pin loosened just enough to move, then the nut is secured and the lower adjustment backed off and readjusted normally.

The original kingpin/bearing set won't work in this case due to the overhang of the repop Lincoln brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anchor bolts.jpg (28.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg adj 1.jpg (56.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #10
Flathead Fever

Good to know about the Lincon brakes and the king pins. I have some Lincolns still in the box going on a '34 pickup. I can now see how the '32-'34 king pin would hit the brake hose on the Lincolns. Now I need to spend even more money.

I was wondering how you would adjust that upper anchor without being able to see in the drum. I have one of those KRW tools that rotates around the spindle for centering the shoes. That might work too. Looking at the back of that anchor it looks like modern ones I'm used to seeing. I learn something new every day here on the Ford Barn. Thanks!

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-14-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post

@tubman What you have heard?
I think I saw on the H.A.M.B. that they have a very short life. A quick search didn't find anything. If I have time and remember, I'll so some more searching.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:52 PM   #12
Brian

It is possible to fit original thrust bearing using early kingpins, spindles, brake drums, axle along with 39 Lincoln bendix brakes...[slight modification req'd]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040115.JPG (158.0 KB, 336 views)

Last edited by Brian; 04-14-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:59 PM   #13
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It is possible to fit original thrust bearing using early kingpins, spindles, brake drums, axle along with 39 Lincoln bendix brakes...[slight modification req'd]
What mods were needed to accomplish that?
Old 04-14-2023, 11:11 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:24 PM   #15
Brian

39-40 Lincoln front backing plates have same spigot dia and stud pattern as early Ford spindles, so are a direct bolt on. They have a deep dish, as do 35-36 Ford backing plates, however, you need to machine up a spacer for each side, .214 thick, in order the 35-36 drums are centred on the Lincoln brake shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040133.JPG (159.4 KB, 300 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:33 PM   #16
Brian

You'll need to dress off the top of the spindle flanges sufficient for the backing plate and spacer to fit the Lincoln backing plate. Once all those components fit together, you'll need to machine most of the head off of the kingpins, and machine approx 1/8" off the top of the spindle boss where the thrust bearing sits. This means the top bush on each side is about 1/8" shorter than stock. Does it matter? dunno, I've done many,many trouble free miles, and haven't experienced premature wear in kingpins.... Ok, so now you've done all that you have an assembly that will all go together....there is not a lot of clearance atop the kingpin, but you can finangle it to just have clearance. Last step is to grind a new notch in the kingpin in the new position [kingpin is sitting about 1/8 lower than stock.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:01 AM   #17
petehoovie

Quote:

39-40 Lincoln front backing plates have same spigot dia and stud pattern as early Ford spindles, so are a direct bolt on. They have a deep dish, as do 35-36 Ford backing plates, however, you need to machine up a spacer for each side, .214 thick, in order the 35-36 drums are centred on the Lincoln brake shoes.

You'll need to dress off the top of the spindle flanges sufficient for the backing plate and spacer to fit the Lincoln backing plate. Once all those components fit together, you'll need to machine most of the head off of the kingpins, and machine approx 1/8" off the top of the spindle boss where the thrust bearing sits. This means the top bush on each side is about 1/8" shorter than stock. Does it matter? dunno, I've done many,many trouble free miles, and haven't experienced premature wear in kingpins.... Ok, so now you've done all that you have an assembly that will all go together....there is not a lot of clearance atop the kingpin, but you can finangle it to just have clearance. Last step is to grind a new notch in the kingpin in the new position [kingpin is sitting about 1/8 lower than stock.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:57 AM   #18
Brian

Thank you Peter for the blow up picture...I decided to do my conversion this way, as it incorporates all the original steering geometry. Meant I can still run wire wheels that mount correctly on original drums; no silly spacers adapted to later drums/spindles etc. Scrub pattern remains the same. Really, the major detraction from stock is having the top boss on the spindle shortened up about 1/8", which, in my opinion/experience, is no big deal. I don't like the idea of those thin little Torrington needle rollers as Lacey uses.
When I say 'machine most of the head off the top of the kingpin', I am referring to the big 'cup' that houses the mechanical brake operating cam, when the head is machined down, it will look very similar to 1937 on 'pins.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #19
rich b

@Brian Only slight modifications!

Last edited by rich b; 04-16-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: less
Old 10-18-2023, 07:02 PM   #20
kenche

I just did the brakes on my 1950 Ford. I had the drums turned and the shoes arced to the drum diameter. I checked the anchor pins and found that they were not centering the shoes. Since I had the original drums, I was able to use the .010 feeling gauge method to center the shoes. If you want to get the brake job right, I really suggest you include this step. You wouldn't believe how much better they perform.
kenche is offline   Reply With Quote