Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
oldskool

Default macs china parts

im doing a frame on restoration on my 46 ford pickup,macs door handles look great but the shafts are too long and too thick and mine have a recess on tne shaft,these will require extra work to install,parts are made in china,i will contac macs today and send back,im really tired of this b/s
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Gumpy

Default Re: macs china parts

most door handles you find today are manufactured in china....now the ones you purchased could be fabricated to fit....I would give them a call and ask for a partial refund...they're pretty good about that.....they could be made to fit....
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Frank The Plumber

Me too.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Vic Piano

Not to give away my age but, I've been messin with Flatheads for over 45 years. Back in the 60's, most of the "parts" that were not NOS or good used, came from South America and were available through places like JC Whitney, etc. As I recall, those parts were not as good as most of the “Chinese made” stuff available today. While I would like to see all the parts for our cars & trucks made in the USA, for the most part, I'm happy to get a part I need, even if it requires some work to get it to fit and function.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
DICK SPADARO

Don't waste time returning parts these are the only reproduction handles available and none of the reproduction handles are made with the latch slots.

Years ago all the reproduction handles came with a spec sheet that gave instructions on replacing the door handles and it would probably be a good idea to have that now. Since you have original handles all you have to do is measure the shaft of the original handle and cut yours to the same length, after doing so mark off the spacing in the shaft to replicate the grooves in the original handle and with a small file index the shaft grooves as the original. After you are finished take a fine grit sander and remove the excess chrome plate on the shaft and they should slide right in.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Scott H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
Don't waste time returning parts these are the only reproduction handles available and none of the reproduction handles are made with the latch slots.

Years ago all the reproduction handles came with a spec sheet that gave instructions on replacing the door handles and it would probably be a good idea to have that now. Since you have original handles all you have to do is measure the shaft of the original handle and cut yours to the same length, after doing so mark off the spacing in the shaft to replicate the grooves in the original handle and with a small file index the shaft grooves as the original. After you are finished take a fine grit sander and remove the excess chrome plate on the shaft and they should slide right in.
That's some overall good advice right there! Problem solved, and probably could get it done faster than taking a trip to the post office.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Frank The Plumber

Thank you Mr. Spadaro. You are one of the very best.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Russ/40

I like it when the vendors specify in their catalog, "Import" or "USA" or "top quality" or whatever. If they all would do that, I think they would have fewer complaints. Most of us realize import usually means a little finagling to get it to work.
Like Vic said, when this stuff was coming from Argentina thru JC Witney it was REALLY bad! Parts are so much better today than they were in those days.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I like it when the vendors specify in their catalog, "Import" or "USA" or "top quality" or whatever. If they all would do that, I think they would have fewer complaints. Most of us realize import usually means a little finagling to get it to work.
Like Vic said, when this stuff was coming from Argentina thru JC Witney it was REALLY bad! Parts are so much better today than they were in those days.
When I bought my '40 pickup in 1980, it had a pair of brake drums from Argentina that I replaced with a good pair of used ones. Anyone want a deal on those?? Cheap???
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
oldskool

thanks guys,we did some mods and they fit and work ok,they are otherwise hi quality exellent chrome,i remember about 20 years ago i bought vent window rubbers for a 40 ford they were made in argintina,talking about garbage ,i think we should be thankfull that we can still get parts to keep our old fords up and running,thanks again fellas...al
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Straightpipes

Sorry fellas, we don't make anything in the good old USA anymore....
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Not quite true SP's some stuff is still made here,you just got to know what and whom to buy from.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #13
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
Sorry fellas, we don't make anything in the good old USA anymore....
You could if you were to pay the price necessary to cover US labour, US materials, US benefits etc. Trouble is that price would likely be 10 times the chinese price.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
X38

Yes I share the frustrations of the fit and quality of lots of parts but, today you can have Chinese (or similar) or nothing. That's economics in today's world.

On the other hand, if passionate enough, who among you is prepared to step up and be a manufacturer?
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #15
BILL WZOREK

Very well put X38
Even if some one wanted to never mind the investment just the rules & Reg's we have put our self under in most cases would be next to impossible to do.
With this being said. ( I got to say that also ) we should still not except poor Quality
When ordering parts from suppliers Always ask what there return policy is for poor Quality or non fitting parts.
With out being nasty we can keep the pressure on to get the workman ship up to a acceptable level. JMO
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
Straightpipes

Your right, Bill. Trouble is so many just go ahead and buy junk when higher quality stuff is available. Take harbor Freight for example. There is always a line at the cash regester and they are all bitchin about the stuff when they get home.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote