Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
tubman

Default Earlier pressure plate in an 8BA?

A few years ago I got a pile of parts from a guy, which included a bunch of clutch components. I need a 10" clutch for an 8BA, so I started digging through it. I found what appears to be a new 10" clutch for an earlier V8. I know the splines on the disc are different, but will the pressure plate fit? The Fort Wayne clutch I just put into my '51 had adjustable "fingers", and this one doesn't, but other than that, they sure look the same. It'd be nice just to have to buy a disc.

BTW, I know they are undesirable in cars, but in the pile I found what looks to be a new 11" setup. If anyone is interested, you can PM me.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: Earlier pressure plate in an 8BA?

The throw out bearing diameter, and therefore the diameter of the fingers changed with the 8BA cars. The trucks used the larger size at least through 52, not sure of 53, and the Mercuries used the larger size through mid 51.

You can use the earlier pressure plate and throw out bearing but you must machine a sleeve to make up the difference throw out bearing in IDs. I recently did this in order to adapt a 49-early 51 Mercury pressure plate to fit my 53 sedan. I was given the pressure plate and allowed access to a lathe free of charge so it made sense to me. If you had to pay someone to make it work I don't think it would be worth it.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: Earlier pressure plate in an 8BA?

A lot depends on the transmission you intend to use, ie spline size & count. F1 pickups, station wagons, and police cars came with the older Long style 10-inch clutch since they work with the 1 3/8" 10-spline trans input that was used with those vehicles. Mercury cars used the 10" Borg & Beck type clutch but they were 1 3/8" 10-spline till later in 1951 when they switched to the small spline transmissions.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote