Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
bluesman31

Default Tire Manufacturing in 1934 - Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm68SAVfCA

This is a bit long (15 mins) but I found it really interesting

Last edited by bluesman31; 02-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.
bluesman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Tire Manufacturing in 1934 - Video

Great video. Thanks for the lead. Those people sure worked hard for their money! Tires back then were practically hand made!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
KR500

I don't think I would have worn a tie to work like I saw on some workers with all that open exposed machinery. I recall an engineer incident where he bent down over to look at a running lathe and his tie was grabbed by the chuck and he was killed. The video is great and I liked all the necessary operations that were required back then to make a REAL rubber tire.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
1930artdeco

I wonder how accurate the test were back then compared to todays computers? Do they use the same type of tests today?

Mike
Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I noticed in the begining it said "RCA Photophone"...........and I thought camera phones were something new.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
montanafordman

Fascinating video! It would have been really interesting to road test one of those tires when new against our modern equivalent model A tires and see how wear and balance compared. I tend to belive they don't build em like they used too! (And I'm not thinking about computer or robotically controlled methods either!) Their dedication to quality control and R&D was impressive!

I am fascinated by pre-war technology. They built those manufacturing machines, products and invented stuff with slide rules and paper, not only that it was built to LAST! A far cry from the design teams, computer models and design, calculators, automated manufacturing, spell check and planned obsolescense that we have today.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
WRA

[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;588926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
I don't think I would have worn a tie to work like I saw on some workers with all that open exposed machinery. I recall an engineer incident where he bent down over to look at a running lathe and his tie was grabbed by the chuck and he was killed.

Back in the 70's, a very attractive college age girl was working at Case-IH in East Moline, Il. as a summer replacement, running a lathe. She had long hair that hung half way down her back. Saving for college.

One day, she didn't have it pulled up in a bun, hair got caught in the machinery, and she was scalped. Died from blood loss and shock on the shop floor. True story. I had a lot of friends working over there and they told me all about it. Pretty sad.
Just happened again, maybe 2 years ago. Saw it on one of the machinist forums.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Dick Deegan

Interesting video. I have worked in the manufacturing sector for two major tire manufacturers both in Europe, the US and Canada. I can tell you that modern manufacturing techniques for tires do not differ greatly from that seen in the video. The basic process is the same. Bias ply machines today are very similar. Radial tire machines are slightly different. The major difference in manufacturing today is the curing process which normally today uses presses that are single or doubles. Some autoclaves however are still used. The chemistry and basic process of heating the tire with a water bag in the middle of the tire pushing the carcass against the mold which is steam heated remains the same.

I was surprised that I had never heard of Brunswick Tires. Whatever happened to them?

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote