Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
29closedcab

Default Water pump play

I just got my first model a Ccpu. I have been looking it over and today I was playing with the fan. I was Able to move the water pump shaft back and forth maybe 3/8 of an inch. I'm assuming this is not correct but what do I know. Any advice.
29closedcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Water pump play

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Play should be 0.005 to 0.010. Well, at least dramatically less than you have now.

The reason it is so large is inside the head is the "stop" that prevents movement of the shaft. This stop is worn. You can see it if you unbolt the water pump and look in the hole.

Solutions vary. One would be to buy one of the shaft collars and by this way prevent your water pump shaft from moving forward/back.

Another way would be to take out the water pump, and then drill and tap the spot where the shaft hits the retaining lug and install a bronze or nylon bolt. This could be made "adjustable" if you're ingenious.

Another way is to put the adjustable bolt onto the end of your water pump shaft.

Another way is to buy a long water pump shaft when you rebuild your water pump and bring it up to snuff.

There are replacement water pumps with a sealed cartridge bearing in the front bearing. Like the shaft collar mentioned, these need no rear stop.

You probably want to do something with it though. If the fan moves back too far it might hit something. Or the oscillation might fatigue the fan blade roots and cause a premature failure? This a little far fetched but possible.

Easy way to remove the water pump is to remove the radiator. If you've done this before, you know to replace the water pump studs/nuts with the bolts that simulate studs/nuts. These when removed allow you to replace your water pump without removing the fan or radiator.

Hey, good luck with that CCPU. Mine a March 29 and is sitting all around the inside of my barn waiting for me to come back to it.

I like working for a living, but I find it really raises heck with my day.

Joe K