Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2023, 10:52 PM   #1
sjhark

Default Side Curtain part names

Can anyone tell me the official name and/or part number of the part labeled 'C' in the photo? I think I've figured out the names and numbers for 'A' and 'B', but not 'C'. I'm trying to find a pattern or blueprint of a set of Side Curtains for a 31 Deluxe Roadster, but not sure of that small part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side curtains Deluxe Roadster.jpg (38.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Side Curtain part names

Not certain of the name Ford officially gave it, but since it resides above the side window between the curtain and the top I would refer to it as a "side curtain rain flap" (left or right). As you know, there is a corresponding rain flap above the windshield too. Hope this might be of some help to you.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Likely you have already found the A-42177 thru A-42181 numbers. To be honest with you, unless you can view those prints (-since they are Assembly Drawings) to get the actual drawings numbers that make-up that piece, they are not going to do much good for you in patterning. Likely it will be prints A-42175/76 that will have that info, but without Benson being open, even that is just a guess on my part.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
old31

A: Door/Window curtain
B: Quarter curtain
C: Door header
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #5
sjhark

Mcgarrett- thank you. I wonder if what the parts book calls a "Valance, (top) assembly" is the thing I'm looking for.

Brent- I stumbled across the Benson website doing an internet search. I did find the assembly part numbers for the curtains (A-42175,6-F and A-42177,8-F) but don't know the name of the small piece. I had planned on ordering the drawings for these numbers and proceeding using any info I could get from them. The Benson website doesn't mention anything about being closed. Are they closed for good?

I found the names and part numbers in my Body Parts List book; it sure would have helped if they'd have included pictures!
I might also add that "Technically Speaking Volume 8" has a very good set of drawings of the side curtains that will help in constructing a pattern, along with whatever else I can find.

Last edited by sjhark; 01-23-2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added comment.
sjhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
sjhark

Old31- The Body parts List mentions a "Strip, Door Opening Header Finish" in the Door section, but doesn't call out either Roadster body that it fits. It doesn't mention a door header in the Top section at all, where I found the names and part numbers for the other two pieces, "Curtain (top, side) front and rear assemblies. I wonder if Henry was referring to the part as the "Valance", LH and RH, also in that section.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:46 PM   #7
mcgarrett

Wish I had a set of curtains for my '31, but maybe someday...if I win the lottery!
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:01 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhark View Post
Mcgarrett- thank you. I wonder if what the parts book calls a "Valance, (top) assembly" is the thing I'm looking for.
No, the Valance is the cover that tacks over the top of the rear curtain.

Quote:
Brent- I stumbled across the Benson website doing an internet search. I did find the assembly part numbers for the curtains (A-42175,6-F and A-42177,8-F) but don't know the name of the small piece. I had planned on ordering the drawings for these numbers and proceeding using any info I could get from them. The Benson website doesn't mention anything about being closed. Are they closed for good?
As I suggested above, the Assembly Drawing really is not going to help you much other than it identifies the individual components that make up the assembly. I have the Assembly Drawing for the 1928 curtain however the drawing I have for the A-42262 Weatherstrip Cover is just the dimensions of the cloth. Based on the print, I/we can assume that Weatherstrip is the proper name however unless you physically see the prints, you cannot be for sure, ...and I am one that would rather abstain from answering here rather than just post random guesses. I cannot tell you how many times I have purchased prints to find they were not what I thought they were going to be, -or did not have the info I was looking for on them.

As to whether they are closed for good is anyone's guess. They have been closed since 2020. Several of us that frequented multiple times a year doing research are starting to believe they are. Because they are not funded thru Ford Mtr. Co, the Research Center's ability to earn money and to employee staff to oversee the archives is not there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weatherstrip.pdf (1.58 MB, 23 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
old31

The names i used for the curtains came from Lebaron Bonney when they did my deluxe roadster side curtains.

It is truly a shame they are gone.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #10
sjhark

Thank you, Brent. I'm hoping that by seeing the drawings for the assemblies, I'll be able to get the numbers (and then the drawings) for the sub-assemblies. Hopefully, I can get deep enough into the sub-assembly drawings to get enough sizes to make them myself. There is just no way I can justify spending $1200-1400 for a set of side curtains from one of the suppliers. And since my car will never be looked at by a judge, and I hopefully would never need to use them anyway, I think this is a way I can get something functional and not force my family to live on sparrows and rabbits for a month!
Even the final assembly drawings will give me an 80% solution on what I need for sizes of the components to make a set. It's just the final 20% that I want to narrow down.
Seeing your drawing, I'm curious to see how much difference there is between a 1928 and a 1931.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
The names i used for the curtains came from Lebaron Bonney when they did my deluxe roadster side curtains.

It is truly a shame they are gone.
I don't want to get into a debate about them however don't fret too much over that. Most people do not realize that L/B's kits were not all that authentic in many areas. Their panel board shapes were a great example of this as they were cut incorrectly. Nomenclature and even dimensions were other area. When they were manufacturing kits, Paul Case and I had this discussion and he said their sole intent was to give an option for the hobbyist who was restoring a Model-A. Early on as very few people knew (-or cared) what was correct or incorrect, that was acceptable however much research has been made in this area over the past decade or so.

As we are in 2023, IMO the Model-A upholstery world is in better position now than what it has been over the past decade even with just one supplier simply because Mike Francis has taken on reproducing many of the original type fabrics. He has been working with Bill Sturm (who is considered one of the top two authoritarians on Model-A upholstery) to bring the Classtique product & quality to the next level. My point is, don't be sorrowful that L/B is gone, ...but instead support Mike and Classtique as they are filling a specialty niche with a quality product.

Quote:
Thank you, Brent. I'm hoping that by seeing the drawings for the assemblies, I'll be able to get the numbers (and then the drawings) for the sub-assemblies. Hopefully, I can get deep enough into the sub-assembly drawings to get enough sizes to make them myself. There is just no way I can justify spending $1200-1400 for a set of side curtains from one of the suppliers. And since my car will never be looked at by a judge, and I hopefully would never need to use them anyway, I think this is a way I can get something functional and not force my family to live on sparrows and rabbits for a month!
Even the final assembly drawings will give me an 80% solution on what I need for sizes of the components to make a set. It's just the final 20% that I want to narrow down.
Seeing your drawing, I'm curious to see how much difference there is between a 1928 and a 1931.
Hmmmm, I would think that will kinda be like asking how much difference between a 28/29 Roadster quarter panel vs. a 30/31 quarter. At first glance they will look similar but then you realize quite a bit.

As far as $1200-$1400 for a set, I think by the time you buy 5 or 6 prints, and then all of the correct materials (binding, thread, fasteners, etc.) and fabric, labor, -I would think you will be close in $$. If you just want something to do the job and could care less about authenticity, maybe consider just buying some vinyl and clear plastic from WalMart to make something that serves the purpose.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #12
Bob C

Quote:

I found the names and part numbers in my Body Parts List book; it sure would have helped if they'd have included pictures!
I might also add that "Technically Speaking Volume 8" has a very good set of drawings of the side curtains that will help in constructing a pattern, along with whatever else I can find.

I mailed a check for drawings a week ago and got an email today that I
should receive the images in a few days.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:59 PM   #13
sjhark

Bob C- That's encouraging! Hopefully, it means they're coming out of hibernation and will be open for business. I'll send my order and see what happens.