Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
daveymc29

Default My First Model A (Not too long)

My very first Model A

This story is not in my book.

I was a young firefighter in Oakland. At that time we were called Firemen and we were just that, men that fought fires. Anyway, over the fence from the firehouse I worked in I could see what appeared to be some old car with four doors and no top of any sort. One day I saw movement in that yard and ran out and got the attention of some guy that was taking his trash to his burn barrel. That was before we cared about the ecology and instead of throwing our old papers and such into landfill or the creek we burned them.

The gentleman came to the fence and we discussed the car to the point I knew I had to have it and he knew I would bring him $25.00 come payday. Like all Model A’s for sale, then as now, it had run when they parked it with a new rebuild on the engine and though it had been a fordor sedan it had been made into a rough phaeton by his brother that owned a good hacksaw. What I saw was what I would get.

Come payday we exchanged $25 for a piece of paper that said I could have the car and that all paperwork had been lost. He was a cop and so I trusted that he hadn’t stolen it, so the deal was wrapped up. I would pull it out of there when I could find someone fool enough to help me.

Finding that fool didn’t take long. My oldest brother had a 55 Ford truck and a piece of parachute cord, some type of nylon line that was very strong. He and I went to the house and a few of us and friends of the cop pushed the car out to the street and we tied the two vehicles together, leaving plenty of room between them for emergencies, though we all knew nothing could possible go wrong.

My brother leaped in his truck and I into the Model A and immediately he was in motion. I sat there and watched as he drove a good hundred feet with the cord getting tighter and tighter, yet I hadn’t moved. Then suddenly I was under way. Boy was I underway. Went from zero to hundred feet in two seconds as my brother made sure to outrun me.

I thought we had discussed going easy at first until we knew I had some brakes and I guess Perry (my brother) missed that part of the conversation. When we got to the first intersection, he slowed down and I didn’t so he made a sharp right onto Piedmont Avenue and yanked me around that corner as once more he outran me, By now I knew that there were very little if an brakes and that it had very stiff steering. Though I was a young bull, I had the devil of a time turning the steering wheel.

The next major intersection was a breeze, Perry drove threw the yellow light a good hundred feet in front of me and made his left turn onto Mac Arthur Blvd, a four lane major thoroughfare threw Oakland. Of course I was now approaching a red light at half the speed of sound, screaming at cars to stay where they were. They did because they saw a while thread across there path and then I came threw with half flat tires squealing as I attempted the turn to follow my brother. The nylon shrank back to its normal size as I now began to approach his rear bumper. He drove faster and I began to regain a bit of distance between us. He then had to stop for the signal at Fruitvale Avenue. I had no such trouble, running into the back of him and knocking him about up to Lincoln Avenue. A very long block.

We next had to cross 35th Avenue, High Street and eventually make the turn on 73rd Avenue to Bancroft. Each time I knocked his poor truck threw the intersection and each time the Good Lord was kind to us both. He didn’t die of whiplash and I wasn’t skewered by the steering column. We got to my brother in laws service station and had our last collision of the day as Perry stopped, I passed him and hit a barrier behind the station.

Other than my brothers back bumper and fenders there appeared to be no lasting damage. We pulled and pushed, kicked and pried and shortly his truck looked good enough for who it was for and the Model A was probably in better shape, because now all the wheels turned and the steering had lightened up as some of the grease finally worked its way over the steering gears. It also had lost about 100 pounds of muds caked onto it.

The car sat there for a couple of months and eventually it disappeared and I didn’t even ask where it went for years. Then I asked the brother in law and he said he thought I came and got it. So it really did just disappear. Probably best for all involved,
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
Hoogah

Default Re: My First Model A (Not too long)

Cracking story!!!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
JDupuis

Good story. Thanks daveymc29.
I can relate to a story of this nature, as the guy behind the wheel of the towed vehicle, like yourself. Jeff
Old 01-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

Must be true, a guy couldn't make something like that up!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Must be true, a guy couldn't make something like that up!
Oh YES, HE COULD---LOL
Buster T.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
KGBnut

I love your stories. In some ways, the last paragraph was the best part.

Ken
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
JRShaw

VERY enjoyable!! Thank You for sharing the story. Joel
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
JDupuis

Hey daveymc29, there's a guy looking for ford stories in the question and suggestions section of the forums. You may want to contact him. States he has been contacted by Ford to search out interesting stories. Zakuriyah is his user name. Jeff

Last edited by JDupuis; 02-02-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added info
JDupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
mhsprecher

Wow, that is a good one.

Many of us have variations on that story. I towed a 47 Chevy woodie with my 56 Chevy and the car started whipping back and forth due to something with the steering and front end. I was afraid that the car was going to break loose. I can't remember how I solved the problem other than stopping and starting up again. I made it home without mishap, a trip of about 60 miles over fairly back roads. As the old saying goes, "The Lord looks out for drunks and fools."
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

When I came home on leave in 1970, I was towing my 1950 Studebaker Commander behind my 1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser. This was a 1500 mile trip, and after going over some large dips in the road, (because the town used dips rather than underground drainage for rain water), I decided I better check things out. Turns out when I left El Paso and connected my bumper hitch and tow bar I forgot to put the wrench on the ball nut, so when I checked it in Kansas, it was down to the last two threads holding the nut in place. That's the closest I ever came to having a problem towing.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #11
J Wade

I once helped my sister move from Tennessee to Texas. anyway I was driving a VW Bus towing a VW Bug. The starter went out on the Bus so to start it I told my 10 year old niece to sit in the drivers seat and hold the steering wheel straight then I got in the bug and pushed the Bus and threw the Bug in neutral and ran ahead, Jumped in the Bus threw it in gear and started it. Then I went back turned the Bug off and got in the Bus and Drove off. Should have seen some of the looks we got. The things we did when we had to.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:38 AM   #12
daveymc29

#8 from above from JDupuis, seems too good to be true. Zakuriyah hasn't made a reply to another post on his site. I'm waiting for some of you to vouch for Zakuriyah before I put anything else out.
Thanks,
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
1crosscut

Couple of winters ago my narrow front end 1941 John Deere tractor quit running at the end of our drive. I have an 8' blade on the front so it had to be pulled from the rear. My wife brought down the truck and I hooked her up and a said "go slow"
Honest I did!!!
Apparently she misunderstood or I did something earlier that caused me to need a bit of retribution because that was definitely one fast ride.
I think that was when my hair started to turn grey.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Hoogah

A mate of mine used to drive a old Ford Falcon station wagon. He was given a wrecker for parts and took every single thing he thought he could possibly use off it, but this did not include the rear RHS window ("I'll never need one of those!"). Then he dumped the carcass.

Sometime later he had cause to load his tractor onto a tandem trailer that was hitched to his Falcon - on a slope, as it turns out. The moment he got the tractor onto the rear of the trailer, it took sufficient weight off the car's back wheels for the handbrake to stop working, and the car began to roll down the hill, with him sitting on board the tractor in the trailer.

Luckily (?), the whole thing jackknifed at low speed. The tractor overshot the front of the trailer, doing little damage to the car, except for breaking the rear RHS window!

Last edited by Hoogah; 02-03-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Extra info
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote