Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
tyler

Default Sound proof/ Insulation

How many here have used some kind of product to sound proof and isulate their A's ? What did you use and how did you apply it? What part that you did do you feel made the biggest difference? Anyone do their hood?
I see they have an isulated firewall cover in some catalogs, any experience with them? I really like a quiet car.

Tyler
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Sound proof/ Insulation

I would think the peal and stick foil covered insulation advertized in all the Rodding magazines would work fine on a restored car as well. Inside the doors and under upholstery nobody will ever see it.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Gary WA

Lizard skin is another product Great for Sound Proofing www.lizardskin.com
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
jrelliott

Used a product from Home Depot that has two layers of aluminum foil everywhere including the roof of a Fordor. Used 1/8" baltic birch plywood instead of chicken wire for the roof. Screwed the plywood to roof rails like the wire would be applied. Very comfortable when crusing in AZ sun. Keeps the temp down inside.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Herb Concord Ca

Hi Tyler when I did my slant town sedan 2 years ago, I insulated all 6 surfaces. I used a hot rod product about 3/8" thich has foil on one side. Used 3-M spray adhesive. used 4 rolls. Keeps the car cool and quite.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
ed thibodeau

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I used the 3/4" blue or pink foam board from home depot in my tudor. I took a lot of piecing, and in the curved sections I scored the back side (cut slits). glued it in with the spray can insulation. It took 4 pieces in the doors to get them in and they sit outboard of the glass mech. This was real cheap $.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Gary Gregory

I put the firewall insulator in my 30 coupe and like it. I also put a type of insulation-sound proofing materal inside my doors and kick panels. It has a foil backing on the front and adhesive on back. Once the piece is cut to fit take a heat gun and heat the foil side which causes the rubber like glue to stick. Got a roll of this from my paint guy and not sure where he got it but it sure works. Also put some of that old style ''jute'' insulation on floorboard just under your floormat...the type seen in the old 50's 60's cars. I wouldn't advise putting anything on your hood.
Gary Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
tyler

Thank you all for your comments and experiences.

I would like to keep my old, weathered floorboards exposed but also would like to insulate them. Would it be a good idea to attach 1/8'' sound-proof to the underside of the floor?
I was wondering about the hood, Gary. Too much heat retention if the top were to be insulated?
Thanks again everyone.
Tyler
Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
pat in Santa Cruz

wrap the exhaust pipe and muffler with that insulating tape designed for the purpose. No need to wrap the tail pipe. It keeps the car cooler, helps speed the flow through the muffler and quiets the engine. I would not insulate the engine compartment. Beware of insulating the underside of the floorboards near the muffler with anything flammable.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregory View Post
I put the firewall insulator in my 30 coupe and like it. I also put a type of insulation-sound proofing materal inside my doors and kick panels. It has a foil backing on the front and adhesive on back. Once the piece is cut to fit take a heat gun and heat the foil side which causes the rubber like glue to stick. Got a roll of this from my paint guy and not sure where he got it but it sure works. Also put some of that old style ''jute'' insulation on floorboard just under your floormat...the type seen in the old 50's 60's cars. I wouldn't advise putting anything on your hood.
Tyler,
I also put the firewall insulator on my '30 roadster. Best thing , IMO, you can do to insulate..if only doing one thing.
Because my roadster body was completely gutted and redone when 'restoration' started, that's when I installed insulation. It was well worth the cost/effort.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Gary Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Thank you all for your comments and experiences.

I would like to keep my old, weathered floorboards exposed but also would like to insulate them. Would it be a good idea to attach 1/8'' sound-proof to the underside of the floor?
I was wondering about the hood, Gary. Too much heat retention if the top were to be insulated?
Thanks again everyone.
Tyler
Tyler,
Put the insulation on top of the plywood floorboards..just under your floormat. Don't glue it just cut it the shape of the mat and install....you won't believe the differents ! I can't see Insulating the hood would help, besides it would look very tacky. The good thing about insulating those other areas is that you can't see it ! Good luck and keep us posted !

Gary
Gary Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
John LaVoy

We have used QuietRide Solutions. They make the hard firewall insulator and a complete kit for most Model A bodies.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
jan bogert

for my '31 coupe i used 3/4" foam one side alum foil the other side clear thin glad type baggie. $8.00 a 4ft by 8ft sheet at h/depot and used 3m spray adhesive $16.00 a can glue cost more than the total insulation for the car. JAN.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
dfish2931nc

Send a message via ICQ to dfish2931nc

I used a product that has aluminum on both sides and a rubber material in between the aluminum. I used it on the entire body and floor. It is not the bubble wrap sandwiched between aluminum foil. Bust the bubbles and you have nothing. My 29 Fordor is very quiet. The doors sound solid, and I don't have to worry about water getting in the door and rotting the insulation. I bought it on Ebay. Just be sure you are not getting the bubble wrap.
dfish2931nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Pete

I have a friend that just turns his hearing aid down.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
tyler

Great responses, it really helps getting all these opinions. Those of you that have insulated your cars, did you attach your material to the body panels or to the interior fabric panels? Looks like there will be some clearance issues with the window mechanism if I try to attach to body and door metal. Thanks again.

Tyler