Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default 'Restoration'..definition Q

While reading all the violations to Ryans 'third rule' against such posting behavior over on the for sale side (roadster pickup), and after carefully reviewing the amazing "restoration". Got me to thinking of past threads and views regarding use of words..like 'barn find',etc.
I love the looks of the truck , involved in that sale ad. However, I had to laugh at the outrageous description that it is restored
Seriously, I know that everyone has an opinion, what do you think of when you think 'restored' in relation to the Model A. I'll start out by saying that this particular truck if someones' idea of a hot rod, but certainly NOT restored.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
newshirt

Default Re: 'Restoration'..definition Q

I come from a complete newbie perspective, so feel free to disregard. I'm not one of the "in crowd."

When I first joined fordbarn, I assumed it was a website to help people restore cars back to original factory specs, or at least dealer add-ons of the period. It never occurred to me to modernize an antique car. Is that restoration? What value is there in that?

I assumed that real value came from original or NOS parts because they are rare and unique. I believed that modern stuff from Napa doesn't add value. Instead, it reduces value because somebody has to come along and replace it later, and that's not likely to happen, so the modernizations become virtually permanent. In my little mind, even repro parts don't add true value, they seem neutral, not adding or reducing value.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

I won't use the "R" word. I feel that everyone should "DO" their car EXACTLY like they want and be extremely happy with what you have. If every dot and tiddle is not exactly as new, so be it for me.
I admire you high points builders for your GREAT achievements, but please, don't criticize others that also build some exceptional automobiles that are not TOTALLY authentic in every detail. We are not "LESSER PEOPLE" because we do it our way.
To all of you, may the road rise up gently to greet you, may your "A" smile even bigger than you smile, and all hit the road for a new adventure! Bill W's Ghost.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I won't use the "R" word. I feel that everyone should "DO" their car EXACTLY like they want and be extremely happy with what you have. If every dot and tiddle is not exactly as new, so be it for me.
I admire you high points builders for your GREAT achievements, but please, don't criticize others that also build some exceptional automobiles that are not TOTALLY authentic in every detail. We are not "LESSER PEOPLE" because we do it our way.
To all of you, may the road rise up gently to greet you, may your "A" smile even bigger than you smile, and all hit the road for a new adventure! Bill W's Ghost.
Bill,
Don't go off on a tagent on me here,eh ! You're completely missing my question. My ride is made like I like it, but I'm not 'extremely happy' , as you say, with it as I'd like a 15K engine and other stuff in it.
However, my question goes to the USE of the term 'restored'. I see everything on earth, including this particular truck , being pitched as restored. I LIKE restored and wonder is it just me or does restored mean something less/more than 'put back like when original'
Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think your question is a very valid one, ...and maybe this comes back to what was the purpose of owning a Model A in the 60's when the hobby was in its infancy? Some people used Model A's as daily transportation (so theirs was basically a used car), and you had others that modified them to different levels by installing modern engines/drivelines (hot rods), ...and you had people who wanted to re-condition them to look just like when a Model A was new, so they joined a club such as the Model A Restorers Club to learn about their car and fraternize with folks who shared a like interest. These club's mission statement was to preserve and promote the 1928-1931 Ford Model A as it was originally produced. There were no forums back then yet these collectors were buying used Model A's that had all kinds of aftermarket parts and items from supply houses such as JC Whitney so they needed assistance from these clubs. The club magazines back then printed articles on how to repair original items and how to find/identify these original items. Their underlying promotion was to return a Model A back as closely as possible to as it was originally manufactured. Granted there was all kinds of variations performed by their members through the years but the local club and the Nat'l clubs emphasis was still on promoting authenticity through education either on the local level or through media print.

What I personally think has changed some of this is lack of education, ...AND the lack of the car owner being able to restore. Folks here tend to be the creme of the crop when it comes to Mode A repairs, but our clubs are filled with people who really cannot restore or even repair properly. Many do not possess the tools nor the ability to perform such a task. That IMHO is why the street rod side of Model A ownership is so attractive is because so much is available over-the-counter where the owner only needs to bolt something together. Not even going anal about fine-point restoration tasks, but just assembling a Model A with authentic parts (i.e.: correctly dated parts, etc.) requires effort, ...which many just are unwilling to spend the time to do. Think about how many people here do not want to purchase printed media such as Paint & Refinish Guides, or the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards.

To specifically answer your question, I am lenient when the word restored is used to describe a Model A as long as the vehicle has some sort of resemblence of a Model A as it was originally manufactured. My definition of Restored is : To return something to a condition equal to, or greater than how it was when originally manufactured. Again, my personal opinion is that the shade of color can be off a bit, the upholstery fabric can be a tad different, and there can be reproduction parts used to make it operable or even hidden modifications however it needs to be believable by the general public that the vehicle resembles how it was originally manufactured. IMHO 16 inch wheels, air conditioners, OHV engines, etc., etc. push the envelope too far to convince the average person this is how they were originally manufactured. Just my opinion, ...your mileage will vary!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
dfish2931nc

Send a message via ICQ to dfish2931nc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A good friend of mine told me that very few Model A's are restored these days. Most are rebuilt. I know I rebuilt mine, not restored.
dfish2931nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
RcT

To me, (and probably ONLY to me), "Restoration" means bringing back a relic to its original condition. "Original condition" is open to debate, however there are generally accepted judging standards that try to define "as they originally were" on some specific date in time.

There is a group of Model A owners who are well into following these standards, and that is their way of enjoying the hobby. Personally, a book telling me how I should have my car is not my cup of tea. That is how this group enjoys their cars.

Most of us have vehicles that have been altered in one way or another to make us happy. This subject has been beat to a pulp. What I like may make you hate me; I don't really care. My car makes my eyes happy.

Probably most cars are "over-restored", far better than they were when they rolled out of the factory. That is a fact. They never were as shiney, as accessorized or used on such roadways as we have today.

This is my opinion on the term "restored". My car is as close to original as I want it, not what somebody else wants it to be. I like it to resemble the common Model A of the era. I have no touring upgrades, just the stock stuff, with the exception of turn signals for the protection of both the car and myself.

To the average citizen, all of our cars look restored. So be it. In the overall scheme of things it doesn't really matter a hill of beans.

Just one more thing... that restoration show on the reality TV... everything they restore is better than new, altered to the owners wishes. Ever notice how he asks the owner in the beginning, "How do you want this restored?"... You see, options are available. Very few people get their piece exactly as it was.

"nuff" said,

Richard
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Mountain Dew

To a whole lot of people "restored" means new paint and interior. Why can't people just say "new paint and interior"? Totally restored, frame off restoration, mint, immaculate, and original condition are all over used terms that don't accurately describe the vehicle. You see it all the time. You might as well disregard those words.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
While reading all the violations to Ryans 'third rule' against such posting behavior over on the for sale side (roadster pickup), and after carefully reviewing the amazing "restoration". Got me to thinking of past threads and views regarding use of words..like 'barn find',etc.
I love the looks of the truck , involved in that sale ad. However, I had to laugh at the outrageous description that it is restored
Seriously, I know that everyone has an opinion, what do you think of when you think 'restored' in relation to the Model A. I'll start out by saying that this particular truck if someones' idea of a hot rod, but certainly NOT restored.
I totally agree with you that this truck was not restored to original, but i dont know if i would classifie it as a hot rod either. Kinda on the border i guess of an upgraded or modified Model A. But regardless of that i see that the guy removed it from the site. I assume because he got hammered to much from negative comments. It was a decent looking truck in my opinion but way over priced.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Great Lakes Greg

My idea of "restored" is a stock appearing car. No wacky colors, or a vehical accessorized to within an inch of its life. Black wheels on 28-29's. I don't care a whole lot for wide whites, but my coupe has them which makes me a hypocrite I guess. I am dissapointed when I look through the hood louvers and see an altenator. All this is only my solicited humble opinion, so please, save your daggers. It's your car, do with it as you please.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

I wasn't refering to whatever truck folks are talking about, or justifying it, I didn't even look at it.
Sorry I sorta" got off the "restored" question.
Yes, to me restored= making it as near to factory new as possible. My friend for 40 years, Dudley Moordigian is really into authenticity, and I don't harras him for his effort. Loved his Ma when she lived next door, doodled on her '66 Porsche & her '26 Studebaker, named Asthma.
I try to do my car ouite original, except for a few minor unseen changes to make it more dependable & safer. I do nothing to it that can't be put back to stock quickly.
Brent,
Dudley met you at San Diego and said you were cool guy with a great shop. Wish your shop was not so far away. Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-07-2012 at 10:02 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
To a whole lot of people "restored" means new paint and interior. Why can't people just say "new paint and interior"? Totally restored, frame off restoration, mint, immaculate, and original condition are all over used terms that don't accurately describe the vehicle. You see it all the time. You might as well disregard those words.
Mountain Dew,
I TOTALLY agree with you! In the "old days" the term was "fixed up" and blow on a new coat of paint and a new set of straw lookin' seat covers.
I guess the term RESTORED is supposed to sound hot shot Why is it called "FRAME OFF," when it is really "BODY OFF," except if you are disassembling it upside down. This a blog, where we can express our views without getting attacked, hopefully.
Bill W's Ghost.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Logan

To me restored means a model a that is taken completely apart, and everything is gone threw, and refurbished if it is needed. to some people restored means, putting everything as back to original as possible. For me, it is restored as long as it has a model a frame, model a motor (even if its converted to ohv), and model a interior. I dont think modifications make a car a "hot rod" unless it has a different engine block and/or frame.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
I totally agree with you that this truck was not restored to original, but i dont know if i would classifie it as a hot rod either. Kinda on the border i guess of an upgraded or modified Model A. But regardless of that i see that the guy removed it from the site. I assume because he got hammered to much from negative comments. It was a decent looking truck in my opinion but way over priced.
Hmm, ok I have a twinge of regret for calling it a hotrod! Whew, I would really love to have it in my driveway..as it's purty! Also, I have to agree with most all of you guys opinions/definitions of restored and your reasoning. Although I ran out of money, talent and steam somewhere along the way to my As present condition, I enjoy her immensely as is.
And, although I personally took every nut/bolt/rust/grease off of her (body off), I don't call her restored, mabe reconditioned
I guess when I see someone selling/exhibiting a Model A as restored, I mabe expect tooo much. Mabe suffering from knowing too much about how it is/was when stock. After driving stocker As for fifty years and hanging out here for too long..stuff sticks.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hmm, ok I have a twinge of regret for calling it a hotrod! Whew, I would really love to have it in my driveway..as it's purty! Also, I have to agree with most all of you guys opinions/definitions of restored and your reasoning. Although I ran out of money, talent and steam somewhere along the way to my As present condition, I enjoy her immensely as is.
And, although I personally took every nut/bolt/rust/grease off of her (body off), I don't call her restored, mabe reconditioned
I guess when I see someone selling/exhibiting a Model A as restored, I mabe expect tooo much. Mabe suffering from knowing too much about how it is/was when stock. After driving stocker As for fifty years and hanging out here for too long..stuff sticks.
Hardtimes, your A looks great just the way it sits. That car is you and it has a lot of character. And the few modest changes you made, make it even better i think. If it were mine i would leave it as is. Just my 2 cents. Any chance that i could borrow it for about 6 months??????
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Frank Miller

Has anyone heard the term restomod? It is used to identify a modified restoration. Popular in the Mustang crowd. The car looks basically stock on the outside with a bunch of drive train upgrades and luxury comforts on the inside. To some degree this probably describes most of our touring cars.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
HoarseWhisperer

Definition of RESTORE

transitive verb
: give back, return
: to put or bring back into existence or use
: to bring back to or put back into a former or original state : renew
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
hardtimes

zzlegend,
Hmm, 6 months ? I'll ask her (Ugly Duck) if she could be away from me for that amount of time! FWIW, you're about the only guy that I can think of that I wouldn't worry a bit about her being with for six months. Mabe if I tell her that you/and Jr have the talents to make her body purty and turn her into a beautiful Swan...that might do it !! Mabe not, as most of the (young) guys have stopped asking me when I'm going to put color on her..other than 'shakercangrey'...and the older generation shows up in same shade grey as the Duck !
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Mountain Dew

Angry Re: 'Restoration'..definition Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
To me restored means a model a that is taken completely apart, and everything is gone threw, and refurbished if it is needed. to some people restored means, putting everything as back to original as possible. For me, it is restored as long as it has a model a frame, model a motor (even if its converted to ohv), and model a interior. I dont think modifications make a car a "hot rod" unless it has a different engine block and/or frame.

Logan brings up a very good point. Many people call a refurbished (refurbish: verb _ to make brighter and prettier) car a restored car. I guess that wouldn't look too good in the classifieds. For Sale, totally refurbished Model A, or frame off refurbishment. How about immaculately refurbished. It's hard to brag about a refurbished old Model A. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the refurbished car. "Older reburbishment" would be the best way to describe Ol' Willie, my 31' pickup. I'm saying that people misuse the term "restored". It carries little credibility with me unless it is followed by a list of the specific work that done to it.

We're talking definitions and terminology here. Isn't that what this thread is about.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
columbiA

Hi,LOGAN! I guess both my 30 cpe & 31 S/W sedan must be dreaded HOT RODS as they both have modified Columbia overdrives & one has a 33 B with 5.9 head.The other one will also get a 33 B when I get around to putting the spare engine in.Neither one will have stock engine & rear end put back in as long as Im alive.I always keep the original components in case the next owner decides to go back to original.I never like to even drill a hole to change something.This is a fun thread!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote