Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
marty in Ohio

Default Ppfffftt

The title of this thread is the sound my '30 town sedan makes when I shift gears. This usually only happens when the engine is warm when I let off the gas. It's not a true backfire but just a little burp. I tried to lean out the GAV and it's more pronounced then. Not a big problem, more of an annoyance. I wondering if it may be a timing issue. Everything is stock except the modern top plate in the distributor. What do you guys think?
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Ppfffftt

Manifold gasket leak, probably #4 port. That's the one where the exhaust manifold usually droops and doesn't hold a gasket very long before blowing out or at best, leaking. Also check that the muffler pipe is sealing at the exhaust manifold flange. Look for signs of black soot on the exhaust manifold just above the clamp = escaping exhaust. That will cause popping or a slight cough/hiccup in the sound of the engine between gears, but especially during de-acceleration.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
The title of this thread is the sound my '30 town sedan makes when I shift gears. This usually only happens when the engine is warm when I let off the gas. It's not a true backfire but just a little burp. I tried to lean out the GAV and it's more pronounced then. Not a big problem, more of an annoyance. I wondering if it may be a timing issue. Everything is stock except the modern top plate in the distributor. What do you guys think?
Marty
I find if I have the GAV set too lean it has a small burp when letting off to shift. Try turning the GAV the other way to richen it. Richening mine a tad (technical term) cured the Burp...

When it first started making the sound I first thought exhaust leak! But I could not find any indication of an exhaust leak.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-14-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

if leaning it out made it worse.....

don't be afraid to play with the GAV, that is why Henry put it there.....it turns both ways
Old 11-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Floats

Wink Re: Ppfffftt

Hi Marty,
Please make that sound again, we didnt quite get it. Was it Prrrrt or Pfffft? Or Pffrrrrrrt?
Regards
Chris
Sorry, I couldnt resist it. Hope you get to the bottom of it.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floats View Post
Hi Marty,
Please make that sound again, we didnt quite get it. Was it Prrrrt or Pfffft? Or Pffrrrrrrt?
Regards
Chris
Sorry, I couldnt resist it. Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Ppfffftt sounds more like a fart than a burp.

(Sorry. I too could not resist)
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
DougVieyra

On California's recent Election Ballot was a measure that made it illegal for Cows to Fart ! The Cattle in Kalifornia, it seems, are known agents of 'Climate Change', and a major contributor of Global Warming !

Sadly, the above is NOT a whimsical joke ! It is a TRUE FACT . Look it up.
I forgot the number of the Ballot Measure, and I was so disgruntled with the idiocy of this state, that I did not buy a newspaper to see if it passed.

I almost did not use the word "passed" because of the known association with the work 'Gas'. And I am sure that Political Correctness in Kalifornia will soon outlaw using the two words in the same sentence, due to their inherent relationship to the growing Green House Gas problem that Kalifornia has.
------------------------------------------------------

O.K., so I took my advice, and did "Look it up." As it turns out it was not a Proposition on the last ballot, where it might have had a tough time passing. So the Kalifornia State Legislature by-passed the voting process and simply made it state policy :
"Sep 19, 2016 - Cow Fart Regulation Passed Into California Law. SACRAMENTO (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation that regulates emissions from dairy cows"
To quote a L.A. Newpaper:
“The measure was approved shortly before the end of the legislative session Wednesday after its author, Democratic Senator Ricardo Lara of Bell Gardens, agreed to give dairy farms more time to comply."
-------------------------------

Now if ever there was a "Ripley's - Believe it or Not" fact, this would surely qualify.
* I have just GOT to talk to those Model A owners who live in New Zealand, to see if there is any land left for 'homesteading' !

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-15-2016 at 02:06 AM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
On California's recent Election Ballot was a measure the made it illegal for Cows to Fart ! The Cattle is Kalifornia, it seems, are known agents of 'Climate Change', and a major contributor of Global Warming !

Sadly, the above is NOT a whimsical joke ! It is a TRUE FACT . Look it up.
I forgot the number of the Ballot Measure, and I was so disgruntled with the idiocy of this state, that I did not buy a newspaper to see if it passed.

I almost did not use the work "passed" because of the known association with the work 'Gas'. And I am sure that Political Correctness in Kalifornia will soon outlaw using the two words in the same sentence, due to their inherent relationship to the growing Green House Gas problem that Kalifornia has.
------------------------------------------------------

O.K., so I took my advice, and did "Look it up." As it turns out it was not a Proposition on the last ballot, where I might have had a tough time passing. So the Kalifornia State Legislature by-passed the voting process and simply made it state policy. To quote a L.A. Newpaper:
“The measure was approved shortly before the end of the legislative session Wednesday after its author, Democratic Senator Ricardo Lara of Bell Gardens, agreed to give dairy farms more time to comply."
(Someone has to ask)
How do farms comply?? i.e. do the cows know about this?
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
DougVieyra

Come on now 29Cabriolet - you know how it works. First, $500,000 is allocated to fund an "Exploratory" commission to study the various possibilities of how to accomplish the assigned task. Then once that has taken place (6 years down the road), another $1,500,000 is allocated by the legislature to 'Investigate' likely candidates for administering the program. Then another $2,000,000 is allocated to set up the necessary bureaucracy. Then another $5,000,000 is set aside each year for the 'implementation' of the program.

Then, the government legislature hires a 'consultant group' to lay out a program where by the tax payer can be lead to believe that yet ANOTHER tax hike is 'essential' for the orderly governance of the State's vast problems.

Anyone know where the nearest New Zealand Consulate is?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
marty in Ohio

O.K., guys. I got it. You're telling me my car is flatulent! (For those of you who don't know, flatulence is the medical term for a fart.) Yes, it farts! I don't think I have an exhaust leak, I think I'm maybe running too lean. I'll adjust.

The title of my thread, Ppffftt, is actually how they spell fart in New Zealand. You could look it up.

Oh, how I enjoy this site!!!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
Big hammer

Hey maybe some MMO in the gas tank might help your flatulent problem :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Cabriolet View Post
(Someone has to ask)
How do farms comply?? i.e. do the cows know about this?
The farmers will be forced to feed their cows BEAN-O.

What the heck...........we feed our cars corn.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote