Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
Model "A" Fords

Default Do you own a 1930 Standard three window Fordor Sedan?

I am interested to know how many 1930 Standard three window Fordor Sedans are out there. It seems that a lot of Standards got upgraded (downgraded) with cowl lights and side spare, among other non standard items. Who has the the plain Jane?

Do you have a Briggs or Murray? What country was it built? Do you own it or do you know someone that has one? What is its story?

I own a Canadian built Murray that I bought in 1967. Before I bought it, it was stored for years in a garage in my home town of Hamilton Ontario.The original color was a Canadian color called Classic Blue which is very dark and looks Black in some light conditions. It had hubcaps with the flat ring around it. I am on the second restoration, this time for authenticity and still with original Classic Blue.

I have rarely seen other 1930 standards since buying mine and wondered why. I remember the huge gathering of Model A Fords about fifty years ago at Hershey but no Standards.

Other than mine, the first one I saw was another Canadian built Murray in Classic Blue that I drove by every work day for thirty years before finally knowing about it. This was in decent shape to put on the road, but disappeared shortly after.

The next was a USA Built Briggs that was heavily rusted with no paint showing. Wayback it would be called, in pretty bad shape but these days it is rough but restorable. It was for sale at Hershey awhile back and don't know where it is now.

Next was a USA Built Murray in original condition, at the Gilmore museum for a Model A meet. It was a dark Blue US color, but lighter than Classic. It had the flat bar headlight bracket that was only used for a short time. The car was in driving condition and had been Judged a couple times Nationally, 400+? points.

One I saw on a club roaster from up North in Canada but I haven't seen it. I don't know where it was made but may be the one from Hamilton that I briefly saw years back.

There was a Murry for sale on the Barn not long ago. I don't know where it was made. It had a non original Red exterior and original style upholstery but not correct color.

I have a leed on a Canadian built Murray that is in rough shape with parts taken off and piled in the car. A little wire to close the doors that have no handles or latches

What is your 1930 Standard three window Fordor Sedan story?

Last edited by Model "A" Fords; 10-20-2023 at 06:23 AM.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: Do you own a 1930 Standard three window Fordor Sedan.

'Every car has a story...........'

I believe there is one currently listed on Craigslist Louisville (Ky). No cowl lamps with the '29 Fordor style interior (supposed to have).
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
1stWoody

I picked one up this past February at a swap meet. It has the eyebrow fenders to boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230304_175536320.jpg (89.6 KB, 85 views)
1stWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stWoody View Post
I picked one up this past February at a swap meet. It has the eyebrow fenders to boot.
It also has an early bumper, was it made at the end of 1929? Does it have the speedometer without the trip on it?
Old 10-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #5
Brubaker

I have an early '31 (non-slant) standard fordor. Lived in Iowa most of it's life (Ca now), and no rust in the lower cowls. Either luck or good maintenance back in the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawkeye w: Ali.jpg (105.5 KB, 55 views)
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
1stWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
It also has an early bumper, was it made at the end of 1929? Does it have the speedometer without the trip on it?
It has the trip meter on it.
1stWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:16 AM   #7
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
'Every car has a story...........'

I believe there is one currently listed on Craigslist Louisville (Ky). No cowl lamps with the '29 Fordor style interior (supposed to have).

I wasn't able to find a 1930 Standard three window Fordor Sedan on Craigslist Louisville (KY). Do you have a link?
Old 10-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
jb-ob

Default Re: Do you own a 1930 Standard three window Fordor Sedan?

It's 'listing' time expired.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:22 AM   #9
ryanheacox

I've got a 165-C standard Murray. I'm probably biased but I like the look of a standard car without side mounts or cowl lights.

My grandparents bought this car in 2001 from a family friend who claimed it was originally sold locally. Our club does have a ton of Fordors in it but now that I think of it mine might be one of the only standards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2116.jpg (88.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0917.jpg (21.0 KB, 23 views)
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:56 AM   #10
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
I've got a 165-C standard Murray. I'm probably biased but I like the look of a standard car without side mounts or cowl lights.

My grandparents bought this car in 2001 from a family friend who claimed it was originally sold locally. Our club does have a ton of Fordors in it but now that I think of it mine might be one of the only standards.

Nice car! I am also biased towards Standards, to the point I don't have any accessories and Just want it as it drove off the line.

Do you know the date of manufacture and where your car was made?
Old 10-21-2023, 08:31 AM   #11
ryanheacox

The engine date is 4/10/30 and I bet it's the correct number. It's got forged front fender brackets, and an electric wiper. So it could have been built anytime between mid-April to early July.

Assuming it was originally sold in northwest Connecticut I think it would have been built in Kearny, NJ but I haven't been able to find any plant codes on the body. Kearny is about 130 miles away and Somerville is 150 so it probably could have been either plant.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote