Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
rjhink

Default Re: Rear Main Bearing -- drain Pipe

Is there a supplier that has replacement rear main bearing drain pipes? I have a '34 V8 engine with an unvented block and would like to install a pipe since there isn't one currently in place.

I can buy some pipe and a die from MSC, but it would cost far more than just buying a pipe . . . if I can find one. I've only been able to find pipes for '30-'31 Model A and '39-'42 engines. Given that this is the only flathead I've ever owned, I don't know if either of the above would work.
rjhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #22
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Rear Main Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My experience running without the tube differs from Vince's because there was no excessive leakage out of the rear main bearing. I won't argue the science of the drain tube, but I have two NOS Ford bearing caps with tubes and no tack welds.

The question is when were they made?

From various reports, parts known to be made after production are not made like production era parts. They may have been done by contractors and not up to the production line standards.
I have some later Ford NOS rods and they are not +-1 gram the correct weight. I know of people with NOS flywheels that were not balanced and were known later production.
So you need to know more about the parts you have and be careful. Also Ford was known to not waste stuff. So parts that would not be used on the line cause something was off might be sent to the dealers for parts stock.

Anyway, stuff to consider.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhink View Post
Is there a supplier that has replacement rear main bearing drain pipes? I have a '34 V8 engine with an unvented block and would like to install a pipe since there isn't one currently in place.

I can buy some pipe and a die from MSC, but it would cost far more than just buying a pipe . . . if I can find one. I've only been able to find pipes for '30-'31 Model A and '39-'42 engines. Given that this is the only flathead I've ever owned, I don't know if either of the above would work.

This link may help. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=rear+main
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #24
jfreddie

Bill Barlow's babbitting service in Bend, OR may be able to help if you just need to replace the cap. He may have a good cap and can babbitt and bore to your crank size for a reasonable cost. He's at 541-389-2694 or [email protected].
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #25
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/B6328R.html

They also carry the 5/16 and 3/8 tubes for Model A's.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #26
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreddie View Post
Bill Barlow's babbitting service in Bend, OR may be able to help if you just need to replace the cap. He may have a good cap and can babbitt and bore to your crank size for a reasonable cost. He's at 541-389-2694 or [email protected].
There was a recent discussion here that Bill Barlow has stopped doing the bearing rebabiting service, a real loss.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 AM   #27
colin1928

Quote:

As this a V8 the main thing will be the length of the pipe correct very important give Mac Van Pelt a call he will give the length
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote