Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #41
ford38v8

Default Re: What happened to my engine???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Henry,
Sorry to learn of your misery..engine wise! I know that you drive that ford more than any that I've heard of in this day/age! How many miles do you think were on your engine, prior to this break down?
If you'd read his posts you'd know he had 30k on the engine since rebuild.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #42
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
That was my first thought but then I remembered for a couple of years after I started the engine up after it sat for 31 years I had a very similar click in the bottom of the engine that never got worse and didn't seem to affect the operation of the engine any. When I finally had the engine rebuilt most of the bearings in the bottom were broken in half. So, that's why I don't run to the ER for open heart surgery (which is what removing the engine to check out a strang noise is to me) every time I hear a strange sound in the engine. All times but this one the sound eventually goes away and I never know what caused it.
I 100% agree with you there, I've had so many sounds come and go its ridiculous, you eventually learn to ignore most of them. No one mentioned it and its obvious but dont forget to support the front of the transmission if your leaving it in the car. Good luck, we are rooting for you.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #43
911 STEVE

I bet you're happy it happened there rather than on some of your great adventures. I love your pictures and stories and totally respect your confidence in your car to take it where you do.
911 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #44
Joe AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 STEVE View Post
I bet you're happy it happened there rather than on some of your great adventures. I love your pictures and stories and totally respect your confidence in your car to take it where you do.
Totally agree with 911 Steve.....I look forward to all of the adventures you report on the Barn. Best wishes in getting your car back up an running ASAP.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #45
jack in san diego

Sorry to hear of your engine failure, don't despair, it will all work out. You will need some help in removing the hood, it is very heavy and bulky. Be sure to place pads on the fenders and the cowl before you start the removal. If you have a small young person to help, he can fuss with those small bolts that hold the hood to the hinge brackets. Be sure to note how the bolts and washers come off as it is important to get them back on in the right order. Good luck. Jack
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #46
Old Henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 STEVE View Post
I bet you're happy it happened there rather than on some of your great adventures.
Those were my thoughts exactly - how lucky could I get - one block from home? My big job now is to not get paranoid about road trips far from home - kinda like a rodeo rider - got to get right back on as soon as I can before I think about it too much.

However, the more I think about it, if someone had told me this very thing would happen on one of my road trips some day . . . I would still have gone. I actually thought this whole thing through before my very first road trip on Route 66 in 2010 - what would I do if my car broke so bad on the road that I couldn't fix it? Well, within 300 miles from home my AAA would tow me home. Further than that, I'd find a storage place and have it towed there, take the bus home, rent a car hauler, and go get it. Once I realized that I could handle the worst case scenario, nothing could stop me.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #47
Old Henry

Progress report:

Well, old Chuck came down, we wrapped my tow strap around the engine and over the hoist hook, and lifted the engine out. Had to pry the engine and transmission apart to get it started. Forgot to disconnect my oil pressure gauge wire and mechanical temperature gauge tube. Saved the tube before damaged. Pulled the wire off the sender. Not too bad for my first heart transplant surgery.

Then old Chuck has to go and say, "That was the easy part. Just wait until you try to fit that thing back in and line up the shaft with the transmission." I can hardly wait.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #48
Henry/Kokomo

I hadn't done that job for about 50 years - until about 6 months ago. I understand your apprehension. Trust me, the engine WILL go back in place. If the splines don't line up - and they may - jack up a rear wheel, put the transmission in gear and turn the jacked up wheel. The transmission input shaft will rotate. You can do it!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #49
VeryTangled

Hello Prof. Henry,

Like the others I send my sympathies. Ford Fun Withdraw is not pleasant!

When reinstalling you might consider a rig like this which will make it easier to position the engine.

Henry/Kokomo's tip about rotating a wheel with the tranny in gear to help with the trans input spline line-up is a jewel.

Best of luck!

-VT/Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0017.jpg (73.5 KB, 141 views)
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #50
JM 35 Sedan

Hey Jeff, that headless flathead engine looks familiar.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #51
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Hey Jeff, that headless flathead engine looks familiar.

I thought that was you!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #52
Henry/Kokomo

Just remembered another Special Purpose Tool I used when re-installing the engine in my '46. Get two bolts about 4" long that thread into the tapped holes in the engine's bell housing that accept the transmission-to-engine bolts. Cut off or grind off the bolt heads. Install these two headless bolts in the bell housing on opposite sides. Now you have two guide pins that the transmission will slide over to aid in transmission alignment. When the transmission is in place, secure it to the engine with one or two of the proper bolts, remove the guide pins and install the proper bolts in their place.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #53
Zeke...PA

Red face Re: What happened to my engine???

Looked at the cylinder walls yet ? Is the block savable ? Lots of fun to go. Best of luck, Zeke
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #54
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
If the splines don't line up - and they may - jack up a rear wheel, put the transmission in gear and turn the jacked up wheel. The transmission input shaft will rotate. You can do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
Just remembered another Special Purpose Tool I used when re-installing the engine in my '46. Get two bolts about 4" long that thread into the tapped holes in the engine's bell housing that accept the transmission-to-engine bolts. Cut off or grind off the bolt heads. Install these two headless bolts in the bell housing on opposite sides. Now you have two guide pins that the transmission will slide over to aid in transmission alignment. When the transmission is in place, secure it to the engine with one or two of the proper bolts, remove the guide pins and install the proper bolts in their place.
Great ideas guys! Keep 'em comin'. I'm savin' 'em up for the reinstall. I can use all the help I can get.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #55
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke...PA View Post
Looked at the cylinder walls yet ? Is the block savable ? Lots of fun to go. Best of luck, Zeke
I'm stopping at the "heart transplant" surgery. I'm not getting into the "open heart" surgery. I'm leaving that to Dr. Rodg thats going to fix it. All I got to do is pay the bill and put the engine back in. That's more than enough for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #56
donald1950

when you do those bolts best to use 4 so it alligns straighter and grind or saw slots in the end so you can use a screwdriver to get them out and taper them a little so they slide into the trans easly.... don
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #57
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald1950 View Post
when you do those bolts best to use 4 so it alligns straighter and grind or saw slots in the end so you can use a screwdriver to get them out and taper them a little so they slide into the trans easly.... don
Another great idea!
Thanks.

Keep 'em comin'!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #58
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Those were my thoughts exactly - how lucky could I get - one block from home? My big job now is to not get paranoid about road trips far from home - kinda like a rodeo rider - got to get right back on as soon as I can before I think about it too much.

However, the more I think about it, if someone had told me this very thing would happen on one of my road trips some day . . . I would still have gone. I actually thought this whole thing through before my very first road trip on Route 66 in 2010 - what would I do if my car broke so bad on the road that I couldn't fix it? Well, within 300 miles from home my AAA would tow me home. Further than that, I'd find a storage place and have it towed there, take the bus home, rent a car hauler, and go get it. Once I realized that I could handle the worst case scenario, nothing could stop me.
When I was planning my trip from WV to the meet in St George in 2010 in my '50 Ford, that had set for 26 years before I got it, all the fellow club members told me I was crazy to drive it that far and I told them the worst thing that could happen was that it would leave me stranded in the middle of the desert. I didn't quite do that since I lost the top of a piston near Abilene, Ks on the way home, but was able to drive it into Abilene and find a club member, Arliss Kready, who let me park it at his house while I rented a car and went home and fetched my pickup and trailer to haul it home. While I wouldn't have asked for that to happen, I wouldn't give up that experience for anything and I made some new friends to boot! Now, I am preparing to drive it to Tahoe in June.

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 04-29-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add on
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #59
Old Henry

Way to go Cecil - a man after my own heart. So, there is at least one other barner out there for whom the benefits of a grand road trip far outweigh the cost and inconvenience of even the worst case scenario. So, we go. The rest? Well, . . . they stay home.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #60
Old Henry

Delivered Old Henry's comatose heart (engine) to old Doc Roger today for the open heart surgery. Hope he can figure out what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. "Rabbi, Is there a prayer for a flathead?"