Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
rich b

Default '35 3W glass channel placement?

Getting ready to put the door glass in my coupe and have a couple of questions. I have the earlier version glass channels and I would assume
that the rear edge of the guide fin would align with the rear edge of the glass channel; but would like to know for sure.

Also, I used a window from a '36 door as a pattern which didn't have the guide; wondering if the same glass size was used an early '35 like mine? Everything
else in the door looked the same (other than the regulator handle location).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3020011.jpg (43.3 KB, 41 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
barnfind

Default Re: '35 3W glass channel placement?

I assume you have the window regulator with 6 mounting screws versus the later ones that have 8 mounting screws?
I am curious what or if there is a difference in the glass channel as well. The early 36 I have uses the 6 bolt regulator and I considered modifying the door to fit some NOS 8 bolt regs I found.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind View Post
I assume you have the window regulator with 6 mounting screws versus the later ones that have 8 mounting screws?
I am curious what or if there is a difference in the glass channel as well. The early 36 I have uses the 6 bolt regulator and I considered modifying the door to fit some NOS 8 bolt regs I found.
Yes, my car has early style six bolt regulators. I shortened an eight bolt regulator (as my kid had an extra) for one side. Pretty easy to do.

Looked like it would take a lot of changes to the inner door panel (maybe the latch mechanism also) to change over to the more common eight bolt regulators.

The later glass channel is pretty much the same except it does not have the guide fin.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
rich b

Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Any ideas?
another thread currently running on glass and channels, I posted a pic of my 36 pickup glass. the channel is 1.5" forward of the rear edge of glass, your 35 may be similar
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190785
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Don Rogers

Rich, I looked up the glass part number for a 36 3 window coupe and it is the same for 35 and 36 vehicles. 48-722160/1. The door glass channel assy is also the same. 48-722170/1
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Randy in ca

Here's a picture from a couple of years ago of a pair of the early '35 style with the glass installed. There definitely appears to be some offset there, but I don't recall or have any measurements - in the picture it almost looks like the two are a little different, but could just be picture distortion.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford 3W Coupe - EARLY STYLE WINDOW CHANNELS.jpg (51.6 KB, 80 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Here's a picture from a couple of years ago of a pair of the early '35 style with the glass installed. There definitely appears to be some offset there, but I don't recall or have any measurements - in the picture it almost looks like the two are a little different, but could just be picture distortion.

-
Thanks, hoping you would see this. Looks like I have to rethink the whole idea as your pictures look like the guide is on the front; which makes sense when you think about the shape of the glass and the fact it slides back before going down.

I think the roller location needs to be right close to right so it all works right.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
rich b

FYI, if anyone else come across these channels, here is how they fit. Guide fins to the front and set back 5/8". At least that how it worked on my coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glass 1.jpg (43.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg glass 2.jpg (70.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
Ball and Chain

Not to steal your thread but just curious, what is this piece for? The channels i have for my 35 3 window dont have this piece, is it necessary?

Thanks Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3020011.jpg (44.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Ball and Chain; 04-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
Not to steal your thread but just curious, what is this piece for? The channels i have for my 35 3 window dont have this piece, is it necessary?

Thanks Kevin
I don't think it is necessary, apparently the tracks with the guide fin was used on early production.

Ford must have figured out it was not needed and eliminated it.

My kid's 36 3W has the plain tracks and the windows work just fine.

I just wanted to use as many of my coupe's original parts, if I didn't have these I would have used the more common guide-less tracks.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
Karl Wescott

I would be real cautious at this point. I have NEVER seen that type of guide fins on a Ford, only on a Chrysler product. The Chrysler channels look very close to Ford and have a similar slide action BUT DO NOT INTERCHANGE.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Randy in ca

Here's a picture of the ones removed from an early 1935 3W. Although I guess you never really know for sure, I would doubt very much that these were ever changed and are indeed the originals.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford COUPE - LH DOOR REGULATOR, ETC. 001.jpg (57.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
I would be real cautious at this point. I have NEVER seen that type of guide fins on a Ford, only on a Chrysler product. The Chrysler channels look very close to Ford and have a similar slide action BUT DO NOT INTERCHANGE.
These channels came in an unmolested ND body which was removed many decades ago to use the chassis for a farm wagon. Friend also had another
early production '35 3W with the same set-up; neither had enough glass to figure out positioning. And thanks to Randy in ca's pictures of his early production glass, I had a starting point for channel position.

Evidently some Lincoln Zephyr coupes use a similar guide.

Anyway; installed the glass the other day and they slide back, go down, back up, and forward into place smoothly.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #15
Ken/Alabama

My 39 Zephyr window channels has that fin on each end. Guess it serves as a guide.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
another new detail!
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
Ball and Chain

Quote:
I don't think it is necessary, apparently the tracks with the guide fin was used on early production.

Ford must have figured out it was not needed and eliminated it.

My kid's 36 3W has the plain tracks and the windows work just fine.

I just wanted to use as many of my coupe's original parts, if I didn't have these I would have used the more common guide-less tracks.
Quote:
Here's a picture of the ones removed from an early 1935 3W. Although I guess you never really know for sure, I would doubt very much that these were ever changed and are indeed the originals.

-
Thanks for the info. My 35 has 3/35 on the glass and an X on the cowl so im not sure if its an early 35 or not? The channel in the car has no guide, i also have an NOS set that dont have the guides either.

PS Does anybody have the tiny flathead screws (one L and R) that you remove to take of the glass channel im looking for 2

Thanks Kevin

Last edited by Ball and Chain; 04-08-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #18
rich b

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My 35 has 3/35 on the glass and an X on the cowl so im not sure if its an early 35 or not? The channel in the car has no guide, i also have an NOS set that dont have the guides either.

PS Does anybody have the tiny flathead screws (one L and R) that you remove to take of the glass channel im looking for 2

Thanks Kevin
Mine and my friends 3W's are both earlier cars without the X on the cowl and have the forward mounted inner door handles.

Not sure what screws you are referring too, only thing I have to remove to get the glass out are the rollers.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #19
Ball and Chain

Here's a pic of my door, are these the foward mounted?

The screw im looking for is a little flathead that you take out of the regulator through the round hole in the door to take the glass out.

Quote:
Mine and my friends 3W's are both earlier cars without the X on the cowl and have the forward mounted inner door handles.

Not sure what screws you are referring too, only thing I have to remove to get the glass out are the rollers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door.jpg (54.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Randy in ca

Quote:
Here's a pic of my door, are these the foward mounted?

Your doors have the later inside door handle location. The early style handle was very near the front of the door.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford 3W coupe - Inner EARLY door.jpg (49.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #21
rich b

Quote:
The screw im looking for is a little flathead that you take out of the regulator through the round hole in the door to take the glass out.
If you are referring to the stop screws on the regulator gear, I didn't have to take them out; but maybe I went about installing the windows the wrong way.
I put the regulator thru the big hole in the door, cranked it full up, dropped it to the bottom of the door, slid the window in thru the top and rotated it into the fuzzy glass runs, lowered it until the channel was by the big hole, engaged the regulator arms into the channel, raised the whole works up until the drive shank fit thru its hole, cranked it a little until all the screws could be installed, rolled it down and installed the roller on the channel, rolled it back up, and checked the vent operation.

Your later regulators are a longer; but I don't see where that would make a difference.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #22
Ball and Chain

Thanks for the pic Randy, I dont think ive ever seen the other type before. I wish they would have moved the window crank instead so i dont bang my knee on it.

Rich, I finally found a pic of what im missing but i guess its nothing special, thanks for the help.

Quote:
Your doors have the later inside door handle location. The early style handle was very near the front of the door.

-
Quote:
If you are referring to the stop screws on the regulator gear, I didn't have to take them out; but maybe I went about installing the windows the wrong way.
I put the regulator thru the big hole in the door, cranked it full up, dropped it to the bottom of the door, slid the window in thru the top and rotated it into the fuzzy glass runs, lowered it until the channel was by the big hole, engaged the regulator arms into the channel, raised the whole works up until the drive shank fit thru its hole, cranked it a little until all the screws could be installed, rolled it down and installed the roller on the channel, rolled it back up, and checked the vent operation.

Your later regulators are a longer; but I don't see where that would make a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door.jpg (30.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #23
rich b

Quote:
Rich, I finally found a pic of what im missing but i guess its nothing special, thanks for the help.
The regulator down stop is important. Easy to make if you don't have one.

I just took a "slice" of a 3/8" bolt, drilled and tapped it for a 10-32 screw, worked fine.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #24
Ball and Chain

Thanks i'll probably have to make something, neither one of my doors had any rollers, maybe they've just been missing all a long?

Quote:
The regulator down stop is important. Easy to make if you don't have one.

I just took a "slice" of a 3/8" bolt, drilled and tapped it for a 10-32 screw, worked fine.