Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
Clem Clement

Default Re: Bratton's and Snyder's Tool Boxes

Lucky me. I found a heavy cardboard box that just wedges into the tool box. Easy enough to cut thick cardboard as well. Nothing rattles. My tool box is crammed full. I also have stuff in the rumble and under the seat and in the tray. I have a parts list prepared so I can find out where I put stuff. On tour I give the tour director a copy of the list so he/she knows what I have, if needed. I update the stuff after each experience with parts that were needed and weren't included.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
400A-64

THE RESTORER magazine Jan-Feb 1983,Vol 27 Iss 5 Shows the front box tha Marshall Lewis designed and made.In preparation of the World trip, he loaned his to me to try on a few local tours. It works great!! Ours were madw of stainless steel. It was used to carry a gallon of water ,jack,grease gun,oil, gear lube and a sortment of small tools plus hand cleaner and a few shop cloths. It was so handy to be able to grab what we needed without unloading other "Stuff" . It was also nice to have some extra weight up front as with our aux gas tank in the rear it helped balance the weight.
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #23
Brentwood Bob

Bruce D., All 4 world tour cars had that same big box if I'm not mistaken. One large club in central California has quite a few. The Stainless Steel version is sweet. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Clem Clement

I have photos of the rounded one if some one wants to see it. PM me
clem
Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
400A-64

Brentwood Bob... you are correct some are powdercoated black..but most are stainless.
Bruce Davis [email protected]
Grass Valley,CA
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #26
Robert

Mike's makes the best looking one.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #27
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Mike's makes the best looking one.
I agree completely. Below is the photo from Mike's website. It looked even better on my Tudor between fenders and hood shelves.

But it doesn't hold enough to be worth the trouble of installing, and you can hook a couple of fingers on the back edge of the lid and pull it open when it is locked.

Joe

JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
dan

Chiming in a little late here... I had the big square box on my car and took it off. While it does have a lot of storage space, it's pretty ugly
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #29
Clem Clement

You guys realize the big box, properly lined, holds after-driving liquids for the hot /tired driver?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #30
400A-64

Clem, my first time out with the SS Box was to a chapter renuion in SF Golden Gate Park.
Filled with ice and some canned adult beverages, it worked GREAT!!
Bruce Davis [email protected]
Grass Valley,CA
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #31
Jim Huseby

About the streamlined front tool boxes that Mike sells: I designed and then built about eight of them, four for each style/year and tooled up to produce them, since (no offense) the square ones look to me like something we would have hung on a tractor and used on the farm to drive around the pasture and mend fences. I built those first four about eight years ago, I think. Correct, they will hold only what the size and shape of the frame horns and front fenders contours provide, plus a "hang-down belly" that's not visible unless you get your eye level near the ground. They will hold one or two quarts of oil plus a spare water pump, plus more tools, rags, wax, etc. True, also, they can be yanked open, pried open or smashed with a big hammer. The lock only keeps away the "honest", like about any lock. But they can't ever come open accidentaly and the hidden hinge is on the front under the sight line. My idea in making them was to "pretty-up" the front of the car, and be useful. Though they look simple, they are more difficult to make than they appear and I had several thousand dollars worth of time invested in tooling up to produce them in quantity. When Mike/mikes-a-fordable (I hope he doesn't mind me telling {Mike, correct me if I'm wrong}) saw one on a SW 4dr, he asked if he could be the only distributor of them. That was fine with me, he's a great guy, and I made some batches for him. He still sells them. They cost me more to make than I could recover, but the experience was worth it. I have some pics of them on the car closed, and open with contents in them, and could send pics, if you give me a couple days to find them. www.olympic-speedsters.com
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote