Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
ronn

Default No more VT registrations for out of state

VT is going to stop issuing registrations to out of state owners apparently. they recd to much guff from the other 49. If you can get your dmv to sign off, then it is still possible.

good luck.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: No more VT registrations for out of state

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
VT is going to stop issuing registrations to out of state owners apparently. they recd to much guff from the other 49. If you can get your dmv to sign off, then it is still possible.

good luck.
For modern autos or vintage??
Old 06-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #3
mhsprecher

Uh, oh. I am just getting ready to go through this process now.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:48 AM   #4
ronn

generally speaking it was 15 yrs or later.

I did some early ones years ago and they went through with no problem. However the 6% sales tax was always at full NADA. So they did become expensive anyway.
all depended what you were registering. worked great for a 2000 Taurus for example......
Old 06-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #5
ronn

ps this is to take effect July 3rd, so possible to get in today if you overnight.......

mhs
Old 06-30-2023, 08:22 AM   #6
BillCNC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Is it to prevent this?

https://selectsr22insurance.com/unde...tion-loophole/

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
ronn

dont think so- VT has been doing this for yrs.

this is all about LOST revenue. You can look up the form. I printed it yesterday.
no dmv in America will sign off on it, so this has been basically closed.
I am waiting for one last one in the mail........

of course I can title anything in NY, but this was easy for certain items, such as old motorcycles, which they didnt scrutinize values so much.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:29 PM   #8
mhsprecher

Crap. I have a title for the car I have bought, but, even though it is the one that "came" with the car, owned by the same family since 1955 has wrong information on it. Looking at the DMV web site it appears that the forms have changed, so that VIN verification can only be done by VT DMV or law enforcement.

It's probably too late already. They must have passed a law that goes into effect the beginning of July, but not on the weekend, hence the 3rd. I may see what I can do tomorrow and overnight to Montpelier for arrival on Monday.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 04:14 AM   #9
ronn

I read that form Bill. Some it isnt close to true. VT always wtd their sales tax.
also there hasnt ever been a vin verification on registering in VT, if you are out of state. Only motorcycles
that are 500cc and over. ways around that as well........
Old 07-04-2023, 12:52 PM   #10
Chris Haynes

I don't understand why people don't simply get a title from where they live? It isn't impossible or hard.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:45 PM   #11
ronn

good point Chris, but your state is relatively easy.

not so with all states. People in OH and Nebraska have a far more difficult time. Understand titling is NOT universal in each state.

so yes, many states are hard and difficult. Ive been titling people for over 15 yrs. Most I can process, but some I just cant. Depends on the state.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:33 PM   #12
stevemclark

This refers to a title of a Virginia car in Virginia. The uniformed female at the local DMV told me I had to have 17 numbers and letters or they could not re-title the car. I asked to speak to her boss and he wanted to see the numbers on the automobile. When he saw they matched the old title he called Richmond to get a response. They said what ever he has will do as long as they match.Ignorance can be over come, stupid goes to the bone.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:24 PM   #13
JayJay

In general in California it's nigh near impossible to do anything involving bureaucracy. However, titling a car from out of state appears to be relatively straightforward - as long as you are starting with a title. The DMV takes the old title, checks to see that the ID number on the old title matches the car (generally by checking the engine), and then issues a California title using that number. If all you have is a bill of sale they will assign a VIN and install a plate on the car with that VIN, then title to that.

All my Model As have been titled to the seven digit "A-------" as the VIN.

You can also have the VIN verified using a licensed VIN verifier. I plan to do this on my '30 using the frame stamping, which obviously I could not do by taking it to DMV after it is reassembled.

I don't know how they would handle a registration from a state that does not title old cars, nor what they would do with a car where the engine number does not match the paperwork. Whatever they do, though, they will collect a fee for it. And the transfer tax.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:04 AM   #14
DKnapp

In Arkansas it kind of depends on the clerk you get at the DMV. I tried to title a '30 Speedster that I built with a "B" engine. As you may know the "B" had the number stamped on the bell housing. The first time they told me I would have to get a bonded title with a VIN they assigned. I was not happy with that option. Next I checked how Ford Motor Co. assigned engine numbers. I discovered that there was a block of numbers reserved for foreign production. I selected an "A" number from the middle of that block of numbers figuring there was little chance of it in use. Then I went back to the DMV and as luck would have it I got a clerk that was in training. Her experienced trainer was sitting to her right watching everything. I gave them some bills of sale for parts and the block number I wanted for a VIN and for ten bucks my title application was filled out. Now I will get one of those VIN plates, stamp it and fasten it to the firewall.
Just last week I put an engine in a friends car and, of course, now the title and car VIN do not match. We called the state police and a trooper came out and looked at the engine number. He called Little Rock to have them check that the engine number was not already assigned to a current title. Then he gave us a VIN verification sheet to take to the DMV for a title change. It may have helped that we had a registration from back in 2016 that kinda proved it was not a stolen car. We still had the old engine but that number did not match the title either. Ten bucks and in three weeks we should have a new title.
One other time years ago I bought a 1947 Ford Station Wagon in Omaha. The guy got it out of a junk yard many years earlier and it had no title. I contacted Lincoln DMV and they did a title search with the '47 SW VIN. The DMV told me that there were two car dealers associated with the VIN. They had their addresses, one now in Florida and the other in Arizona. I wrote each a letter and asked for their statement that they had no further interest in the car. With those letters I was able to get a title.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 05:53 AM   #15
ronn

Jay jay, one of the best things Ive been told for Californians, is to use AAA to do your paperwork. they chg a flat 70 and save you from having to sit in dmv all day.

California is the only state I know that allows that, and apparently it makes everything far easier to process........
Old 07-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #16
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Jay jay, one of the best things Ive been told for Californians, is to use AAA to do your paperwork. they chg a flat 70 and save you from having to sit in dmv all day.

California is the only state I know that allows that, and apparently it makes everything far easier to process........
I've tried that, I've been a member for close to 50 years and there's a AAA office three blocks from my house. Turns out that AAA is only authorized to process the non-complicated DMV transactions. I tried to get them to process a title change of my folks' car to me and once they figured out that my dad had died, and my Mom had dementia then they punted it. Even with a Power of Attorney that little issue took me three visits to DMV before I found someone who could/would listen to reason and process the title change.

So yes, sometimes AAA is good if the transaction is simple. But it's not a panacea.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:47 PM   #17
351cmach

looks like it might still be possible. They added a form vn102.
https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi...tification.pdf
351cmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:12 PM   #18
ronn

351 you'll never get ANY state dmv to sign off on that form. again, all about revenue.

Have you read it?
Old 07-06-2023, 11:20 PM   #19
Hitman

This isn’t a one size fits all situation. There are 50 states and several territories. Just be aware. My state isn’t impacted by this messaging, they get their vehicle taxes in other ways.

If in doubt, contact YOUR DMV!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:18 AM   #20
ronn

Please read the form. No state is going to give the go ahead on riding around with out of state plates.

If in doubt, contact YOUR DMV!

looking forward to who here gets the go ahead to drive around with VT plates in another state.
Please do let us all know........... that would be terrific! Im all for it.