Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
dixiedelux

Default 51 Merc v/8 into 40 ford

I have made an agreement to buy a 51 Merc engine and will install it in my 40 Ford Tudor with a 39 toploader. I would appreciate input from any one familiar with this swap. I have researched and have came up with the following:
1 I will need the truck series 8rt water pumps

2 I will need a rear sump truck oil pan. I need clarification on this one because I regard all of the oil pans as rear sump.

3 The seller claims to have fabbed a wide belt crank pulley that will accept a 40 crank mounted fan. Is this a good idea. What are other options?

4 How about radiator hoses? Are the 8ba head hose recipicals the same size as the radiator's?

5. I have been told that if I get a 48-52 truck flywheel it will not have to be drilled to accept a 48-52 clutch and pressure plate. Can someone clarify for me the need to drill an 8ba passenger car flywheel to accept the truck clutch and why only a truck clutch and pressure plate will adapt to a early transmission?

6. I have noticed from Van Pelt drawings, that the 51 Merc bell housing set up is a little differnce from the rest. Will there be any problem there?

7. Will there be an issue with starter clearance?

8 Can I use stock ford exhaust manifolds?

Any help will be appreciated!
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote