Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
AL in NY

Default Steering Box

Is it possible to remove the steering wheel and steering column in a 1930 Closed Cab Pickup without removing the engine?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Steering Box

You have to remove the pedals & floorboard and then snake it up thru the cab. I think Les Andrews has a step-by-step in his book. I've done it twice, so I know it can be done.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
29spcoupe

Al, I have done it on my coupe. Starter and pedals need to be removed. The door on the pickup is smaller, don't know if that will be a factor. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Big hammer

45 years ago (wow) I think I removed mine from under the Tudor. I didn't want a nasty gear box dripping in my interior. Removed wheel, clamp, control rods, floor boards, pitman arm, engine pan, starter, frame mounting bolts, can't remember about pedals. Jacked car up, began lowering until control rods became a issue, then twisted and turned around the pedals. I THINK 45yrs ago!! Had a lot more Energy and time :;-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

I just did this in a 1930 Coupe over the weekend. Yes to everything posted so far. I'll just add that the pedals don't necessarily have to be removed, but they DO need to be moved so that the gear box can clear the firewall in this area.
Disconnect the brake pedal's rod, remove the clevis pin from the clutch adjusting trunion arm, remove the cotter pin from the pedal shaft end cap, and tap out the pin. Slide or tap the cap towards the end of the shaft so that the clutch pedal can be laid down against the DISCONNECTED battery. Do the same with the disconnected brake pedal. Now you will have all the room you need to pull the steering column out.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

I just remembered that I took these photos on Sunday. Note the position of the clutch and brake pedals. 'Sorry about the poor quality of the photo, but you get the idea.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1181_resized.jpg (64.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1182_resized.jpg (63.6 KB, 152 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Jerry in Shasta

I remove mine thru the bottom. Remove the light switch, loosen the interior column clamp. Pull the light out of the column a short distance, completely undo the steering nut and remove the steering wheel from the shaft, but leaving the wheel and light rod in place.

Remove starter. remove two bolts holding gear box to frame, remove sector arm. Loosen the clamp holding steering column to the gear box.

Now jack up the front of the car as possible, leaving the exterior column in place slide the steering box and shaft out the bottom of the car.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
rscardina

I just removed mine in my '30 coupe. I removed the pedals, battery (for safety reasons), and starter. The only thing I can add is I had my brother helping and I think a second person will make it much easier. We pulled it out the passenger door after we pulled the steering box through the floor. The most difficult part was getting the steering box in position to pull through the floor. It takes patience.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Quigley1930

I did it on my coupe through the door. The hardest part for me was putting the nuts back on the steering box bolts on reinstalling

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
AL in NY

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!! I'll work it out, just needed to know if it was possible because of the small cab area and the long length of the light rod. THANKS AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Brentwood Bob

Consider turning the steering column 180 degrees after you unbolt it from the frame. Wrap it first like a mummy to protect the paint on the column. Leave the steering wheel on the column until you snake it of the driver door.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
5lugnuts

I removed the starter, the spider wires and the sector shaft from the box. Also, the metal plate on the toe board (interior of car) then out between the pedals no problem.

I also once put a new sector shaft in by dropping the column and box under the vehicle. When everything is back together there are four adjustments on the box. To really get the slop out, I had to spend a lot of time with those adjustments. It came out like new in the end! For me the wear was on the bearing surface of the sector shaft (probably from sand).
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

The pickup truck is the most difficult model in which to remove the steering column. The job can be made easier by removing the steering wheel first. In the Coupe, the steering column can be removed with the wheel in place. The floor boards and pedals must come off beforehand.

This job is tough on one's back, so be mindful and work smartly.

I spent a considerable amount of money buying parts to seal the steering gear box in my 190A and my 45B. The first time I filled the gearbox with oil, it totally leaked out in one day. So I find it imperative to pump a synthetic bearing grease into the gearbox first, followed by a few ounces of oil. The grease seals the gearbox very well.

Another issue I had to contend with is the webbed cloth bushing near the top of the column. If you do not lubricate it, the steering shaft can bind on it and make an annoying noise.

Don't forget to replace the horn wire in the shaft.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 06-04-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote