Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
28Annie

Default A+ engine rebuilder in Maine

Just wanted to let people know that if they need to have major engine work done in the New England area I had a very good experience with Portland Automotive Machine in Gorham, Maine. They have many years of experience with all types of antique engines & did a great job on mine. They're very easy to deal with, walk you through every little detail of what they are going to do & then stand by what they have done. It's only been 1,400 miles since the rebuild but so far I couldn't be any happier with their work.

They don't provide removal/installation of your motor but may be able to refer you to someone who can take care of this for you.
28Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Paul from Maine

Default Re: A+ engine rebuilder in Maine

Thanks for the info. I am almost through putting together a motor to put in my Town Sedan while I have its motor out for a rebuild. Was wondering who I should take the Town Sedan motor to for for boring and babbit work. Called up Portland Auto Machine this afternoon, but missed Bob by 15 minutes. I'll call tomorrow morning, but I'll bet I'll be taking the short block to them! I grew up ten minutes from their location, but now live an hour away.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Bob Wright

Exactly what did they do to your engine.
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
28Annie

Hi Bob,

They did a complete rebuild on my engine; strip down, clean the block, magnaflux, new valve guides & seats, resurfaced a new Snyders 5.5 high compression head, new babbit bearings, modern water pump, bored the block, new pistons & rings... Pretty much everything that can be done. My crank & cam were in good condition. Bob runs the engine for at least 4 hours & the re-torques the head and double-checks all of his work. When this motor went back in it started on the first 1/2 crank and runs like a champ. Every motor job is different but mine went very smoothly and Bob's prices are VERY reasonable What he prefers to do is wait until he's got 3 engines ready to go, so I'm guessing that's how he keeps his costs down.

David
28Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Annie View Post
Hi Bob,

They did a complete rebuild on my engine; strip down, clean the block, magnaflux, new valve guides & seats, resurfaced a new Snyders 5.5 high compression head, new babbit bearings, modern water pump, bored the block, new pistons & rings... Pretty much everything that can be done. My crank & cam were in good condition. Bob runs the engine for at least 4 hours & the re-torques the head and double-checks all of his work. When this motor went back in it started on the first 1/2 crank and runs like a champ. Every motor job is different but mine went very smoothly and Bob's prices are VERY reasonable What he prefers to do is wait until he's got 3 engines ready to go, so I'm guessing that's how he keeps his costs down.

David
Just dropped my motor off at Portland Automotive Machine in Gorham, ME this afternoon. I was very impressed with Bob's set up. I even got to look at a block he was preparing for babbit. I talked to Bob on Monday, pulled the motor yesterday in my barn and transported the motor fifty miles to his shop today. He wants the block with all the accessories (except for the generator) so he can run the motor when completed. When I left the Gorham Industrial Park where Portland Automotive Machine is located, a '30 or '31 A Sedan was turning left off Route 25 into the park. I almost turned around and went back. It took me a good six hours to get that motor out yesterday. Hopefully I can reinstall it faster when I get it back. Hopefully this rebuild will solve my rear main leak, the knocking I hear when going up steep hills and the blue smoke screen I leave behind when the engine is working hard.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote