Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #61
lee in bend

Default Re: Russian Motor in a 31 Cabriolet

I have a Russian engine in a '29 Roadster. The info that its from Obsolete Ford parts and sold from Long Beach, Calif. is accurate as I understand. I know mine is Russian because I had it apart recently for a valve job and rings. The crank was marked GAZ as well as the tops of the pistons and connecting rods. The head is a "B" head (three bolt water pump) and is marked "GAZ' as well as the valve cover. This car with the "Ruski" "B" engine was originally from Bakersfield, Calif. and restored in the early 60's. I did have to paint the head and valve cover bright RED so it would be identified as Russian. The lettering on the head and valve cover was also painted Yellow. I always wondered if someone just used a GAZ head and valve cover on a stock "B" engine. Now I know the internals are also Russian.

Last edited by lee in bend; 04-10-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Duplicate
lee in bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #62
lee in bend

Default Re: Russian Motor in a 31 Cabriolet

I have a Russian engine in a '29 Roadster. I know it's completely Russian as I had it apart for a valve job and rings recently. The crankshaft was marked "GAZ" as well as the tops of the pistons and connecting rods. It has a "GAZ" head and "GAZ' valve cover too. I always wondered if it was a plain "B" with a Russian head and valve cover. Found out it's a true "GAZ" engine throughout. The info on it being from Obsolete Ford parts and sold in Long Beach, Calif. is accurate as far as I can determine. The engine runs well and is just a bit different in the castings. This car was restored in Bakersfield, Calif. in the early to mid- 1960's. As far as I could tell the pistons and connecting rods had never been out before since the pistons were not marked in any way. I painted the head and valve cover BRIGHT RED and the "GAZ" markings YELLOW for distinction. Hope it keeps running.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
lee in bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)