Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
29Phaeton

Default Which Radiator for 31 Cabriolet 68-b?

I just bought a 31 Cab 68-b that was sitting since 1990. I've got her running but the radiator was full of rust and now that I've back flushed the radiator and block my radiator only holds water for about 10 minutes! I've researched new radiators and not sure if I should be worried about GPM flow rate when I replace mine. The one I have now looks original. I found a local place here in SoCal with a Snyders heavy duty A-8005-BHD in stock for $600. Is this a good option for me? Should I be looking at pressurized instead? I do hope to install an overdrive to get me near highway speeds so I don't want all my water flowing out the overflow tube due to flow restrictions. Looking for suggestions...
29Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: Which Radiator for 31 Cabriolet 68-b?

That would work.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

29Phaeton, what city you in in So Cal?

I got a great radiator guy in Orange?

Might just be worth the trip.

J.C.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
29Phaeton

I'm in Pomona. CW Moss in Orange are the ones with the radiator.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
DaWizard
BANNED

Well, ¼mi west on Chapman is Tom's radiator who for less than half the cost of the other one will fix the one you have, and knows old radiators!

Not to take business away from them since I deal a lot with them, but why?

Just sayin, Tom's fixed me up.

Google Tom's Radiator in Orange on Chapman. It is 2 driveways east of Batavia.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
29Phaeton

Thanks, I'll check them out. Should I be concerned about fluid loss at 50Mph with the newer water pumps?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
DaWizard
BANNED

Well, from what I have gathered from the others here, I am not an expert on coolant, but I would say that from what the others say, not if you only fill the radiator to cover the tubes.

PM sent

Last edited by DaWizard; 12-29-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
daveymc29

I'm no expert either but I know the little pressure cap thingie that Denny Specker makes up is mostly out of sight and pressurizes the system to 2.5 lbs. so overflow is eliminated and there is no danger to the system at that low pressure. 801 282 8005 if he's still making them. South Jordan Utah
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Phaeton View Post
I just bought a 31 Cab 68-b that was sitting since 1990. Congratulations on your purchase! I've got her running but the radiator was full of rust and now that I've back flushed the radiator and block my radiator only holds water for about 10 minutes! I've researched new radiators and not sure if I should be worried about GPM flow rate when I replace mine. If you purchase a radiator for a '30-'31 Model A the flow will be fine by design. The one I have now looks original. I found a local place here in SoCal with a Snyders heavy duty A-8005-BHD in stock for $600. Is this a good option for me? Yes it will work assuming the block is not clogged up with rust. After all the rust in the radiator did not come from the radiator but rather the block. Should I be looking at pressurized instead? No need for one and the system was never designed for one. I do hope to install an overdrive to get me near highway speeds The Model A will go at 55+ stock but also don't forget the suspension and brakes at those speeds. so I don't want all my water flowing out the overflow tube due to flow restrictions. Looking for suggestions...
I would take the radiator to a shop as suggested above as you could spend a whole lot less then $600.00 for new and I would do a search for engine block flushing here on the site for different ideas on how you can clean the block.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Will Ziegler in LI NY

If you have the money in the budget for a new radiator, I would go for it. This way you know the radiator is good. You will likely never have to buy another for the car as long as you own it.

It will give you piece of mind and you will never worry about the radiator being the cause of any overheating. I consider a new radiator to be a good investment. I would hate to pay for a repair on a used one that I have no idea hold old it is and then end up buying a new one anyway, but that's my opinion.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote