Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Default Throttle cable support bracket photos

Restoration of my 33 Tudor model B is in progress. This post shows how I dealt with the throttle cable installation. Because this is a RHD car, information is much less plentiful than for the LHD cars in the US. One aspect for which I could not find photos or descriptions is the throttle cable attachment specifications. I designed the bracket shown in the photos and asked my buddy at his machine shop to fabricate one. The bracket is attached to the firewall using one of the existing coil support machine screw. It is placed exactly over the throttle cable assembly so when the throttle knob is pulled the cable has the right angle to activate the accelerator. It seems to work well. Can anyone share a photo of the original throttle support bracket in a RHD car? Thanks ! Manuel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle cable support bracket 1.jpg (36.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle cable support bracket 2.jpg (44.3 KB, 89 views)
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Throttle cable support bracket photos

Good neat job. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #3
Doctor's Ford

Anyone has a photo of the original throttle bracket for RHD cars?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Doctor's Ford

Somebody sure has a photo to share! What about Aussies, Kiwis, British barners with RHD cars?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
DavidG

Manuel,

When it came to '33-'34 throttle controls, there was no fundamental difference between the linkage insofar as how the cable was operated. Below are photos of a LHD '33 four and you will note the similarity to your linkage.

While the throttle cable is not attached in that photo, it attaches exactly as yours does with a screw through a swiveling end on the arm. No additional bracket is used as the outer casing of the cable is held in place back up on the dash panel. Unlike on '33-'34 V-8 where the choke and throttle controls are rods and pass through rubber grommets in the face of the dash, the four choke and throttle controls are cables and secured with a chrome plated fittings with threads on their back sides to secure them with nuts and lock washers to the back of the center of the dash similar to those used on all '32 Ford instrument panels. The cable casings are securely attached to the fittings and do not move when the controls are moved in and out; only the cable cores move.

To make a long story short, it would seem that you do not have an original RHD throttle control cable assembly or at least one that is not complete. As a result, you have had to make a bracket to prevent movement of the cable casing.

I've also attached a photo of a RHD '32 V-8 and you will note that it has similar arrangement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3041.jpg (51.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3045.jpg (68.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 250 (2).jpg (75.3 KB, 29 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote