Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #21
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Model B generator

I will get some measurements today, it's hard to tell it it is the short one, or a "made" one, it does seem to stick out of the engine further than it seems it should ,it's not the long model "A" one,
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #22
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor's Ford View Post
OK, it seems you all agree my generator is correct for this 33 car with 4 cyl engine. That part of my question seems resolved.

You have noticed that a modification was made to its bracket, which was unknown to me. I searched old photos and found the ones below that I think show the long crankshaft pulley and the ugly weld on the generator bracket. As suggested by some of you, that apparently was required to modify the position of the generator to align the pulleys.

If this is indeed the long crankshaft pulley, any new generator that I install will have the same alignment problem. Is that correct?

Thank you for your comments

Manuel
If you have the long crankshaft pulley why doesn't the fan hit the radiator, or have you not gone that far yet? Also the long pulley should not align with the short water pump.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 09-29-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
Charlie Stephens

Another possible explanation as to why the bracket ended up where it did. For some reason the bracket was not attached with screws, maybe stripped holes, broken screws, missing screws? The person doing the welding located the bracket using the holes in the bracket and holes in the generator case. After it was welded he realized that the flange on the bracket was supposed to point towards the back of the car. He assembled it using washers to take up the extra space that came from the bracket being incorrectly located. Note that the cast front plate on the generator should be against the timing cover without any washer.

Charlie Stephens
Old 09-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #24
rogerkb1936

I have some generators with alum ends. I always assumed they were after market. were they?
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #25
Charlie Stephens

"I have some generators with alum ends. I always assumed they were after market. were they?"

It is difficult to say without a picture but I would guess that they are '33-'34 generators. These became the replacement for 1928-34 fords which explains why they are so common when compared to the number of 4 cylinder cars produced in '33-'34. Do they look like the ones in the pictures?

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9821.jpg (49.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9823.jpg (65.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #26
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
If you have the long crankshaft pulley why doesn't the fan hit the radiator, or have you not gone that far yet? Also the long pulley should not align with the short water pump.

Charlie Stephens
It does not touch the radiator. This pulley was in the car when I bought it. I had it refinished at a machine shop but the length was not modified. I thought it was the correct one and never took measurements so don't know if it is longer than what is supposed to be. In the photo shown below it appears well aligned though, including the fan pulley and the generator pulley. This photo was taken today to show the alignment. But the generator is moved forward a bit. I can't understand why that is the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crankshaft pulley, installed.jpg (41.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Pulleys alignment.jpg (41.3 KB, 28 views)
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #27
Doctor's Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I will get some measurements today, it's hard to tell it it is the short one, or a "made" one, it does seem to stick out of the engine further than it seems it should ,it's not the long model "A" one,

Thank you, but I won't be able to measure it as it to compare with yours.

You are right that it may be a "made" one. Just like most of these cars, this one had tons of improvised fixes that I could find during the restoration and this may have been one that I did not notice.

I found this photo in my collection of the actual pulley I removed from the car and which was repaired at a machine shop. It kind of looks that the shop made it longer than what it was, don't you think so when looking at the before and after photos? Unfortunately don't have other photos showing the pulley in the same angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crankshaft pulley.jpg (27.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg crankshaft pulley, restored 1.jpg (71.8 KB, 11 views)
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #28
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor's Ford View Post
It does not touch the radiator. This pulley was in the car when I bought it. I had it refinished at a machine shop but the length was not modified. I thought it was the correct one and never took measurements so don't know if it is longer than what is supposed to be. In the photo shown below it appears well aligned though, including the fan pulley and the generator pulley. This photo was taken today to show the alignment. But the generator is moved forward a bit. I can't understand why that is the case.
It looks like there is a washer between the timing cover and the front plate of the generator. If so, that is your problem.

Charlie Stephens
Old 09-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
Kurt in NJ

the original 33-34 pulley is 2-5/8 long --and is all cast iron
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote